Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Spyder 550

Pete Academy

I tried the new Ashdown Spyder 550 amp today and was mightily impressed. It was designed to purposely sound different from the ABM range. It has more in common with cleaner digital amps. In fact, I compared to to the TC 450 head and honestly thought it sounded better.

I used my 79 Jazz, and the Spyder brought out the true sound of the instrument - super clean but not harsh highs. Punchy mids and lows. The TC sounded more 'processed' in comparison. Tons of headroom in the Spyder and really effective tone controls. It was easy to get a sound with the minimum of faffing about.

Highly recommended.

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='829909' date='May 6 2010, 06:46 PM']I tried the new Ashdown Spyder 550 amp today and was mightily impressed. It was designed to purposely sound different from the ABM range. It has more in common with cleaner digital amps. In fact, I compared to to the TC 450 head and honestly thought it sounded better.

I used my 79 Jazz, and the Spyder brought out the true sound of the instrument - super clean but not harsh highs. Punchy mids and lows. The TC sounded more 'processed' in comparison. Tons of headroom in the Spyder and really effective tone controls. It was easy to get a sound with the minimum of faffing about.

Highly recommended.[/quote]
thats good to hear,love my abm but will try one asap.good thing is ashdown offer so much choice for everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='829909' date='May 6 2010, 06:46 PM']I tried the new Ashdown Spyder 550 amp today and was mightily impressed. It was designed to purposely sound different from the ABM range. It has more in common with cleaner digital amps. In fact, I compared to to the TC 450 head and honestly thought it sounded better.[/quote]

The Spyder is an all-valve preamp (unlike the ABM) with an ABM SS power stage is it not... I wouldn't have expected it to be compared to clean and digital?

I had a TC 450 for a short while. I didn't think it sounded any better than stuff I already own - although it's range of features was ideal.

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='858683' date='Jun 6 2010, 10:20 AM']i'd really like to try one of these fellas out, checked the PDF manual for it and was shocked that there is no XLR out (just the jack) and no Tuner out.... guess i,ve been spoilt by my ABM and Trace amps.... ;-)[/quote]

Wow, no balanced XLR DI? No deal!

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='858762' date='Jun 6 2010, 11:55 AM']There is on the combo version.....[/quote]

I Don't understand why the havnt made both "versions" the same. I'd pay £20 more (which im sure is still twice what it would cost to put an XLR DI on the standalone version) for the XLR DI.

This is all pretty hypocritical though, my amp doesn't have one :)

[quote name='MythSte' post='858928' date='Jun 6 2010, 03:12 PM']I Don't understand why the havnt made both "versions" the same. I'd pay £20 more (which im sure is still twice what it would cost to put an XLR DI on the standalone version) for the XLR DI.

This is all pretty hypocritical though, my amp doesn't have one :)[/quote]

Yeah its weird that they're not the same. It says that the jack ouput is "balanced" tho. So won't this do the trick? Or would you need to run it to a DI box first for better results? TBH I hope its rubbish, to stop the oncoming GAS. I'm really starting to want one of these things!

[quote name='BluRay' post='859538' date='Jun 7 2010, 08:37 AM']Yeah its weird that they're not the same. It says that the jack ouput is "balanced" tho. So won't this do the trick? Or would you need to run it to a DI box first for better results? TBH I hope its rubbish, to stop the oncoming GAS. I'm really starting to want one of these things![/quote]

I've just picked one up from Guitar Works in Reading and can say the Spyder sounds very good. I replaced the two ECC83 valves with old Mullards. This has given it a great valve preamp sound with all the power of the 500 watt power amp. Also I love the passive EQ section, its very subtle and you can dial in sounds that would be very hard to create with an active circuit as each EQ band effects the next one along.

Now the bad bits.... NO XLR DI out, this is crazy as there is plenty of room on the back panel for one. Instead we have a STEREO jack plug that is the DI out. I cant think of any sound man I have used that will have a Stereo Jack to XLR adapter with them....like I said, CRAZY. :)

Next little niggle is the effects send and return on the front panel. I can understand if the amp was a free standing unit but it is designed to be in a rack with other rack equipment that will have there jacks at the back.....CRAP. :rolleyes:

Apart from these two niggles it is a fab sounding amp.......so much so I've ordered the Little Bastard as well. :lol:

Edited by voxpop

On the verge of getting the Spyder just a little miffed about the lack of XLR ( i'll have to carry an adapter me thinks) and Tuner out......

Anyone know if it's an easy job to mod an amp with DI XLR and a Tuner out??

Ashdown built me a Combo cab with a 2 u rack space so the Spyder would be ideal - mind you I think i'll sell the combo ABM EVO III amp..

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='860806' date='Jun 8 2010, 11:07 AM']On the verge of getting the Spyder just a little miffed about the lack of XLR ( i'll have to carry an adapter me thinks) and Tuner out......

Anyone know if it's an easy job to mod an amp with DI XLR and a Tuner out??

Ashdown built me a Combo cab with a 2 u rack space so the Spyder would be ideal - mind you I think i'll sell the combo ABM EVO III amp..[/quote]

The DI would be easy enough, just drill a bigger hole and wire up a quality XLR socket. If Ashdown dont offer a mod I will have a go myself.

I dont know about the Tuner out.

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='864812' date='Jun 11 2010, 11:51 PM']The Spyder was delivered today... Really great looking amp in its shiney chrome splender! Sounds fantastic , but I don't seem to be able to get an overdriven sound out of it when cranking the gain up and the VU needle doesn't budge as far as I thought it would - Have I got a duff one or am I being a cock?[/quote]

The VU meter is for OUTPUT not input like most other Ashdowns. It confused me at first also.
I replaced the two ECC83 valves...try going for a high output design, this will over drive the input and give a warm slightly distorted sound.

[quote name='voxpop' post='867191' date='Jun 14 2010, 05:06 PM']The VU meter is for OUTPUT not input like most other Ashdowns. It confused me at first also.
I replaced the two ECC83 valves...try going for a high output design, this will over drive the input and give a warm slightly distorted sound.[/quote]

Ahhhh that makes sense.... now. I was thinking of changing the valves to Mullards like you did, do you think they've a high enough output??

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='867210' date='Jun 14 2010, 05:20 PM']Ahhhh that makes sense.... now. I was thinking of changing the valves to Mullards like you did, do you think they've a high enough output??[/quote]

No, I put in Mullard M8136 which is a rare military version of the ECC81 / 12AT7 which has a gain of about 60-70% of a ECC83. I like the lower gain, non overdrive, but very warm sound a Mullard gives.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2NOS-Mullard-M8162-Special-Quality-ECC81-Valves-Tubes-/230486276363"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2NOS-Mullard-M8162-S...s-/230486276363[/url]

Check out Watford vales for gain advice.....

[url="http://www.watfordvalves.com/products.asp?search=8137&man=&page=2"]http://www.watfordvalves.com/products.asp?...man=&page=2[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='voxpop' post='867288' date='Jun 14 2010, 06:51 PM']No, I put in Mullard M8136 which is a rare military version of the ECC81 / 12AT7 which has a gain of about 60-70% of a ECC83. I like the lower gain, non overdrive, but very warm sound a Mullard gives.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2NOS-Mullard-M8162-Special-Quality-ECC81-Valves-Tubes-/230486276363"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2NOS-Mullard-M8162-S...s-/230486276363[/url]

Check out Watford vales for gain advice.....

[url="http://www.watfordvalves.com/products.asp?search=8137&man=&page=2"]http://www.watfordvalves.com/products.asp?...man=&page=2[/url][/quote]

Just got my spyder back from Ashdown so i've not had a chance to experiment with settings yet. Have you discovered any nifty settings since you got yours?

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='885009' date='Jul 3 2010, 07:23 PM']Just got my spyder back from Ashdown so i've not had a chance to experiment with settings yet. Have you discovered any nifty settings since you got yours?[/quote]
Back from Ashdown?? What happened?!

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='885178' date='Jul 4 2010, 12:57 AM']No no nothing wrong with it ... Just had the XLR DI put in. Newer rack Spyders will have the XLR in so i'm told....[/quote]

Props to ashdown for that, Did they charge you for it - if you dont mind me asking?