Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Spyder 550

Pete Academy

Cheers Gareth :)

That was pretty useful. It actually sounds more bright than I'd anticipated, which is a good thing for me. I have to say though that when you hit the bass switch I can hear the low-mids drop out and I struggle to hear what bass range is being affected (although I'm sure this is because of how it was recorded, the fact it's been compressed like hell by youtube, and my small headphones.)

Nice little demo, I can't wait to try one out.

One last query: Seeing as it uses the ABM 500 power section I take it that it has a similar amount of shifting power as the evo II's and III's?

Awesome :)

I've been rocking an ABM 500 through a single 1x12" for a good while now. I was waiting on a second 1x12" to arrive when I stumbled upon the Spyder which caught my interest.

I think the Spyder through two 12"s would work well for my current blues/rock work :D

Spyder has been ordered. I'll report back with my thoughts tomorrow evening.

I'd also like to thank Pete Academy for putting up with my somewhat impertinent questions and slight rambling (this flu has been bad on my coherence... I managed to leave my WALLET at the bank today :blink: )

Alright guys, the Spyder arrived this morning and I spent the good part of this afternoon playing with it.

Initial impressions are positive; despite it having a valve preamp the tone is very clear and articulate (at least in comparison to the ABM) with plenty of bass and a bit of growl. It definitely has its own character but it doesn't impart too much of itself on my tone which I like. Flats sounded warm and thumpy through it with the appropiate EQing. My Rick with steel rounds sounded wild and aggressive, especially with the bright switch on.

It's going to take a while for me to become fully adjusted to the EQ (I've found I've had to turn down the tweeters on my cabs as this amp has more treble response than my ABM.) but I've got high hopes for it. I've got gigs booked every weekend for the coming month so I'll have a chance to mess with the EQ live and see how it sits in a band mix (playing with a three piece this weekend and then with my usual four piece for the rest of the month.)

I may look into experimenting with different valves at some point... I currently have a few JJs and Sovteks on order. Might (and that's a MIGHT) look into some NOS 12ax7's but that's a rabbit hole I think I'd be best off avoiding.

For anyone interested in these, you might want to know that the specs on Ashdown's site aren't up to date:

There are two speakon outputs for hooking up to cabs.
There is a balanced XLR output on the back along with a balanced 1/4".
The amp is branded "designed in the UK, made in PRC" so it's Chinese built.

I'll post an update after I've taken it out on a few gigs.

[quote name='BigBassBob' timestamp='1326247035' post='1494540']
Even though the website states the amp has an ECC82 (12AU7) and ECC83 (12AX7) the amp actually has a pair of Shuguang 12AX7Bs.
[/quote]

I hust checked with Ashdown. The ECC83 (12AX7) goes behind the input sockets and the ECC82 (12AU7) goes behind the output panel.

• 10 months later...

Instead of starting a new thread I thought it best to resurrect this one.

I've been through a lot of amps over the last year, trying to settle on "the one". These include a Little Mark III, ABM500 EVO III, GK 700RB II, Ampeg 7Pro, Genz streamliner, GK MB800, GK MB fusion, probably plus others I've forgotten about.
Anyhow, after finally deciding that I couldn't make the Streamliner work for me I sold it and ordered an MB500 and an Ashdown Spyder 550 to try out. THe MB was quickly returned as the channel select switch was broken and the whole sound was just too brittle. A lot of background noise too.
That brings me to the Spyder, a week and a half later I can think of no reason to reject it. A cracking amp. Unusual EQ, but still effective once you get to know it. A very clean amp. Like others I can get no break up at all, even on full gain with quite a hefty clean boost before the amp. THis is not a deal-breaker as I tend to get my dirt from pedals these days anyway.
When I played it for the first time I just loved all the mids I could get, which the streamliner always struggled with. Certainly enough low end for me also. A real attack and punch to each note. THe top end is especially pleasing. It seems really easy to get just the right amount of bite without any harshness. The EQ centre of the treble pot is perfect for me. Really am enjoying it. It's a porky beast though at nearly 14 Kg. Although still a one hand carry so that's still OK.
Playing through an 8 ohm GK 212 neo II, seems to put out plenty of volume, at home. Will be rehearsing it later this week, but I will be amazed if it has problems volume-wise. Those mids will punch right through, I predict.

It's funny but I tried one of these out 6 months ago and it just didn't work for me. I think part of it was that I didn't understand the EQ well enough at that point. Also, I was set on getting at least some OD from my amp, and was disappointed at it's lack of drive. I think I slagged it off online in a couple of places. Oh how I've changed my mind about it !