Why become a member? ×

Lest we forget the mids.

Marvin

A word of warning.... I played a gig last night backing a friend. They took a DI signal out before the amp. I didnt think and rather than a nice scooped sound which I had through their amp I have a feeling that they had a load of mids in my mix.

Nothing wrong with that except for the fact that with a big old mid scoop I would have been low in the mix and been classic backing bass (think jamerson), I was worried when they said they liked the music because it was funky! oh dear.

When I was playing around yesterday, cutting the treble and boosting the mids I was quite happy with how 'bassy' it sounded. Previously, I always went immediately for loads of bass, virtually no mid and a bit of treble. It just had no definition. I just thought that was the tone I was looking for, but I was never happy with it.

Obviously it's not for everyone, I'm quite happy though. :)

I get the point of boosting mids, I just cant stand the tone. I have the graphic set to boost low mids, cut mids and start boosting around the treble end. Nothing too severe, just enough to sculpt the tone, kinda like a sideways S shape, Stu Hamm style. Obviously I tweak for each venue but thats usually just on the bass freq. I find the inverted smile shape too honky for what I play.

Use a Sansamp bass driver and a markbass LM2- totally flat. Though my bass- a low end jazz and cab are fairly mid happy so I suppose these balance out the slightly scooped tone of the Sansamp. Really happy with my tone- sounds very organic, warm and cuts through like a knife. I play in a seven piece band and always have good comments on my tone.

I think the way to go is just a little goes a long way so small adjustments really do pay off.

Bob

Ive recently picked up a BlackStar valve overdrive pedal and its got me alot closer to that big P bass sound. I found my sound with a bit of mid boost, treble cut right back and just enough crunch so that its starting to really warm up.

As its a guitar pedal it still needs a bit of tweeking to the lower end, plus Im planning on getting my Thumper overwound, but its very close. Unfortunately, Ive still not had a chance to try it with guitar and drums yet, but now everyones finished moving house it shouldnt be long before practices resume.

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='Mikey R' post='833696' date='May 10 2010, 09:59 PM'].... I'm planning on getting my Thumper overwound, but its very close. Unfortunately, Ive still not had a chance to try it with guitar and drums yet, but now everyones finished moving house it shouldnt be long before practices resume.[/quote]

I'd not make any major decisions before trying it in a band situation. :)

[quote name='CraigPlaysBass' post='833704' date='May 10 2010, 10:05 PM']Hmm, this got me thinking. I have a variable mid control on my marshall mb450h... from 100hz to 1khz, and i just dont know where to put it to get that sound that cuts through, boost or cut :/[/quote]

Try setting the bass control to about -3dB, set the mid frequency at 100-150Hz with a boost of 3dB, and adjust the treble to suit your own taste. That should give you a good 'cut through' tone, but that still sounds meaty. It'll also go easier on your cabs too, as you're less likely to push the cones into over excursion.

A

I've always pretty much gone for that sort of EQ setting, but I always forget I'm right next my rig and it sounds aweful but once you get best part of 10 feet away you start to hear it properly
for now I'm enjoying the OTB's and compact flat EQ tone, maybe just a touch of bass cut to add clearity.

[quote name='Alien' post='833842' date='May 11 2010, 12:42 AM']Try setting the bass control to about -3dB, set the mid frequency at 100-150Hz with a boost of 3dB, and adjust the treble to suit your own taste. That should give you a good 'cut through' tone, but that still sounds meaty. It'll also go easier on your cabs too, as you're less likely to push the cones into over excursion.

A[/quote]

Cheers :lol:

I will try that :)

Cabs should be ok, 600 watts rms :rolleyes:

[quote name='CraigPlaysBass' post='834646' date='May 11 2010, 08:13 PM']Cheers :lol:

I will try that :)

Cabs should be ok, 600 watts rms :rolleyes:[/quote]

What you have to remember is that the 600 Watts is the thermal rating. The cab may only be able to handle 100W at low frequencies.

A

[quote name='Marvin' post='829849' date='May 6 2010, 05:39 PM']I posted a thread about tone several months ago. In it several posts referred to the mids in getting their tone, specifically cetera.
Since Christmas I've been playing through a zoom pedal and got a little sidetracked, however this afternoon I was twiddling with my practice amp and remembered what cetera said about inverting the usual U shaped eq that many of us go for. And.......oh yes, push up those mids, turn down the bass and treble (but not too much) and what a difference. Literally a tone I've been looking for.
I just wanted to share that. Don't forget those mids. :)[/quote]

*blush* You're welcome :rolleyes:
Mids are where it's at!

This may sound a particularly stupid question, so feel free to send me to the thickies corner, but if you go for the mids what difference do your choice of strings make.
I ask because I have never used flats. I like the sound with boosted mids using the roundwounds but didn't know what effect using flats would have.

Right pass the dunce's hat, I'm off to sit in the corner. :)

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='830057' date='May 6 2010, 09:25 PM']I have my markbass SA450 flat. You can hear everything. Might give the mids a whirl though as ther are the extra ones?

I wonder what they would do?[/quote]

The only control i really adjust at gigs is the low mid on my SA450. I have a slight (used to be more) touch of VPF on all the time but boosting or cutting around 100hz seems to work well with my Schroeder cabs. These already have a mid boost anyway.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='835999' date='May 13 2010, 11:09 AM']I have a slight (used to be more) touch of VPF on all the time ....[/quote]

That sounds terribly painful. Have you sought your GP's opinion?

Sorry I just couldn't resist. :) I'm ignorant and don't know of this VPF.

[quote name='Marvin' post='836006' date='May 13 2010, 11:15 AM']That sounds terribly painful. Have you sought your GP's opinion?

Sorry I just couldn't resist. :) I'm ignorant and don't know of this VPF.[/quote]

Its ok, im getting over it ;-)

The VPF is a mid scoop knob on the MB heads. I only use it on about 1 or 2, just to give a bit of boost around 35hz and a slight cut at 380hz, im not even sure if it makes a big difference but it seems to do the trick.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='836016' date='May 13 2010, 11:26 AM']Its ok, im getting over it ;-)

The VPF is a mid scoop knob on the MB heads. I only use it on about 1 or 2, just to give a bit of boost around 35hz and a slight cut at 380hz, im not even sure if it makes a big difference but it seems to do the trick.[/quote]

I see, the practice amp I use has a 'shape' control that scoops the mids, so similar to that (but not exactly).

[quote name='Marvin' post='836017' date='May 13 2010, 11:29 AM']I see, the practice amp I use has a 'shape' control that scoops the mids, so similar to that (but not exactly).[/quote]

Yeah. I know it sounds silly to use a mid scoop but it does seem to counteract the mid hump in my cab a bit, leaving me to then boost the low mids to taste.
I only use my ears so if the figures are all worng who cares, it sounds good, thats the main thing.
And i do tend to boost the low mids a bit more rather than turn up once my drummer starts to get louder as the night goes on.

[quote name='Marvin' post='829849' date='May 6 2010, 05:39 PM']I posted a thread about tone several months ago. In it several posts referred to the mids in getting their tone, specifically cetera.
Since Christmas I've been playing through a zoom pedal and got a little sidetracked, however this afternoon I was twiddling with my practice amp and remembered what cetera said about inverting the usual U shaped eq that many of us go for. And.......oh yes, push up those mids, turn down the bass and treble (but not too much) and what a difference. Literally a tone I've been looking for.

Two problems though. The zoom pedal is not needed (although I suppose I could try and get the same result through it) and the amp I was using is only a 35w practice job so not really suited to anywhere outside the living room :rolleyes: .

I just wanted to share that. Don't forget those mids. :)[/quote]

For me all I am trying to do is get a nice even response across the freq range. I play a passive jazz finger style. Eq on my amp is flat (well in relative terms) for more bite I boost the 1-1.6K just a tad. Sometimes I cut 400hz a tiny bit as it removes the boxy sound. A slight boost at 100-160hz always gives me all lows I need. Always minute adjustments do the trick.
I learnt this when I was a kid, cos i couldn't afford a stereo I used to play my tunes through my bass amp (at the time a Trace 130SM). Soon as I plugged my walkman in, I knew flat on the amp wasnt flat! as the Trace 'flat' was pulling the mids up. The preshape on the amp gave me the sound I wanted for my stereo as they cut the mids down to the same levels as the rest to give a nice sound for my Level 42 or whatever i was listening to at the time. I wouldn't believe what amp manufacturers say when they say their preshapes boost this and that. You will never get the classic midscoop with manual tweaking, if you have that extreme smily face as you are laying your eq over the 'voice' of the amp. Thats why there are so many manufacturers out there.................. it what you like!!! I have made so many mistakes over the years with amps I like and don't like. But now I have learnt that if I don't like the 'flat' voicing of the amp then no amount of tweaking will pull it how I want it. Even though it says ......blah blah...... on the tin. So plug your i pod in at low volume and you will be suprised atwhat you hear, if you have several amps try em all 'flat' on the same track you will be amazed how different they sound!