Why become a member? ×

Pingray

Ou7shined

[quote name='budget bassist' post='832528' date='May 9 2010, 08:21 PM']I've not been round these parts much recently, but i'd just like to say that's one of the most stunning basses i've ever laid eyes on! Nicely done that man![/quote]
Cheers man.

[quote name='sk8' post='832557' date='May 9 2010, 09:01 PM']had a quick fiddle with this at the bash and the range of tones is awesome. The fit and finish is spectacular and [b]the saint job [/b]is ace.

If it was mine i wouldn't put is down either :rolleyes:[/quote]
:)

[quote name='averagesam' post='833286' date='May 10 2010, 05:23 PM']i was wondering what you used to fill in the spaces of the previous pups?
i have an old cheap pbass i have been intending to do this on for a while now.
looks great[/quote]
I didn't fill the previous routs as such as it wasn't necessary. Instead I made "struts" from some ceder off cuts to support the new pups.

For those of you with a nervous disposition, look away now :) .......

I wanted a clean look for this bass and so wanted to aviod digging out a rear cavety for the 'lectrics. I solved this by fitting it all in under the p/g.
Taking the p/g off this bass is a little like lifting the hood of a mini and finding a Chevy V8 :rolleyes:
You can see where the pre-amp and the 2 PP3s fit quite neatly into the equation. If you follow the line of dots for the p/g screw holes you can see that I didn't have much room to play with. .

As Metalmoore said there is an in depth build diary elsewhere on t'internet ([url="http://finnbass.com/showthread.php?t=5732"]here[/url] - but you must be logged in to view it)

Edited by Ou7shined

I finally gave in to curiousity and found out what the pingray was ... not disappointed, looks like a fine bass ... and I bet moving the D/G part of the P pickup neckward has fattened the tones nicely hasn't it ?

Now to find someone to build me a 5-string version with a Nordy MM5.4 with all the switching options :)

Andy

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

[quote name='skelf' post='829705' date='May 6 2010, 02:33 PM']Now if I could just play half as well as you I would be really quiet happy with my lot.[/quote]

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='829748' date='May 6 2010, 03:09 PM']And if I had your workshop, I'd be happy with mine. :)[/quote]

This made me think bass lessons with free workshop use as payment? Also, what an awesome bass. Everytime i spotted that in your sig it interested me

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' post='1038715' date='Nov 27 2010, 12:30 PM']This made me think bass lessons with free workshop use as payment? Also, what an awesome bass. Everytime i spotted that in your sig it interested me

Liam[/quote]
Ha ha yeah. :)
I don't think Alan really needs lessons, he's just being modest (I'm sure he's busy enough building fine basses to bother playing anyway)... oh and I've just built a modest wee workshop (surf green exterior of course) then take into account that there's a couple of hundred miles or so between us and it becomes even less likely. Nice bit of lateral thought though.
Cheers for the compliment. It is a tad awesome. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Just a quick update for the Pingray.

I removed the Stingray pup and replaced it with a Delano MC4AL.
Not because I didn't like it, I feel the experiment was a success, but at the end of the day matching Delanos would be better. :lol:
The Delano obviously sounds similar to the Stingray pup but has a more modern, slightly scooped quality about it - which is ok but as you know I do love that humpy 'ray tone.
Also the Delano wasn't a simple drop in job. It is about half a mil too long in both directions, so a careful bit of filing of the pickguard was in order to nip it in.

While I was at it, I ditched the Seymour Duncan STC-2P's "slap switch" option (which I never used - and had completely forgotten about until someone PMed me the other day to ask what it was like :)) and used the leftover push pull switch to take advantage of the series / parallel possibility with the new Delano. The result is that I can now choose between Stingray or SUB wiring at the flick (pull) of a switch to blend with the P pup. Very cool. :)

(if I ever get around to it I'll get the sound clips done)

matching pups...