Why become a member? ×

Nice 4001, BUT

Nice 4001, looks real clean etc, but the neck pup is in the wrong place for 75. So I ask the seller for a pic of the under scratchplate areas, '' Thanks for your message - sorry, all the photos I have are on my eBay
listing - I've had a TON of interest in this bass, pls don't wait too long
if it's what you want.''

:) it might be what I want, but if you don't give me the info I ask for then what should I do?, just buy it because there's a ton of interest?. :rolleyes:

Anyone had experience with this seller?
cgi.ebay.co.uk/1975-Rickenbacker-4001-Genuine-Vintage-USA-Bass-Guitar-/220597441281?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item335ca1d301

Maybe he's using a film camera and is out of film :)

It seems a little dodgy that he wouldn't take a few more pictures for a £1500 sale, I'd echo what others have said and would stay away unless you can check it out in person.

Rubbish attitude & I don't get the impression he knows his Ricks from the listing. It would take him 10 minutes to pop the plate off this and snap a couple of pics - you don't even have to take off the strings.

Anyway - I don't think the 1/2" gap is necessarily a problem here, the change to a 1" gap (between the end of the fretboard & pickup, for the less obsessive readers!) occurred in 1974 but Rickenbacker are notorious for having "transitional" periods when there are design changes, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a '74 4001 with a 1/2" gap like this. As far as I know it's only the scratchplate that's affected & the routing underneath stayed the same - think I remember a discussion about that at RickResource.

Speaking of whom, I'd ask them if I had any concerns about the authenticity of the bass/description. To me the finish looks a bit scarlet & garish to be Burgundyglo, but that's as likely to be the photo/lighting as anything else. On the other hand, it might point to a refin, so that's even more reason to get a peek under the scratchplate.

Jon.

All true, I think the fact you can advertise something and be blase about it, is just annoying, then again someone will probably buy it.
I had also wanted to know about the nut area and any poss separation, but nah, i'll move on.

[quote name='SS73' post='826265' date='May 3 2010, 10:41 AM']Nice 4001, looks real clean etc, but the neck pup is in the wrong place for 75.[/quote]
Is it? I just had a look at Rickenbacker's archive and it looks right to me:

Seems the same to me.

[quote name='tauzero' post='826535' date='May 3 2010, 03:17 PM']Is it? I just had a look at Rickenbacker's archive and it looks right to me:

Seems the same to me.[/quote]

But if that's the brochure for 75 then its most likely a pic of the 74 models, 74 was the year they moved the pup, but then you never know.