Why become a member? ×

New bass time...

karlbbb

Hello all :)

Hopefully on Saturday I'll have shifted my current cheapy 6 string to a friend and have a little of a deposit towards a new bass. I'm looking at spending around £350, with £400 as an absolute maximum. I'll probably be looking at brand new basses as I'm going to make use of the "Take It Away" scheme.

I listen to mostly "heavier" music (not extreme metal or anything but punk/rock/indie/metal etc), so I guess I'll be favouring a more modern tone (a lot of my favourite bass players use Stingrays), however, I also like to have a mess about in lighter genres like pop songs and even older ones (Phil Collins, just random songs from the past etc). I keep reading Machines [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9244"]review on the Vintage V1004DX[/url] and keep looking at buying this (going from the sound clips, the sound is very close to what I want). Can be had for £339 [url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/vintage-v1004dx-bass-guitar-natural--64677"]from DV247 (they offer the Take It Away scheme ordering over the phone)[/url].

Does anyone else have any suggestions to any other basses that could be had that would give me a modern tone as well as a lot of versatility?

Regards,
Karl :rolleyes:

Edited by karlbbb

I play a yamaha and love it. it may be worth checking them out as you can get decent basses for under 400. Have a look on the yamaha we site for the RBX series. The BB series is good also but I dont know if they do a 5 string config.

Also one of the best 5 strings I played was a MM SUB. Don't know if they still produce them anymore though

Also i was thinking of getting a Vintage 4 string. I've heard good things about them. The guitarist in my band worked as a teacher at the local music shop and the Vintage guitar range literally fly of the shelves, they can't get them in quick enough.

Edited by El Bajo

It is all about the B string IMV..and at that end of the budget will be even more critical.

Make sure it is defined and not a bass blur.. as this can be a problem on 5 strings at all sorts of prices..
Don't think a new set of strings will cure it...it may do, but it probably wont.

For this reason I would buy second hand here after a demo...

If you can't hear a good defined note on the B string below the 5th fret..then it doesn't have it .. and don't buy it. IMO.

I agree about the comments of the B string. I'm really bothered that the Vintage may have a sub-par B string. How do the Ibanez's B strings stack up?

I realise the BTBs have a 35" scale (I don't wanna start that 34" v 35" argument but the 35"s I've played have all had nicer B strings, both in feel and sound) so this may help but the majority of the others (Yamaha/other Ibbys) seem to have 34" scales.

[quote name='tauzero' post='824086' date='Apr 30 2010, 02:15 PM']Have a look at the Peavey Grind too. £349 for the 5-string from GAK.[/quote]

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_c5nt.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_c5nt.htm[/url]

or £315 from thomann. I can't really complain about peavey basses. They do the job. Can never seem to get them set up right though or maybe that's just my problem for being a bit useless at it lolz.

Unless you throw a LOT of money at a bass...then the jury is always out on the B string, for me.

Forget all about neck-thru v bolt-on v scale lenght etc etc... find the bass and try it...if it ( the B string ) sounds good to you, then that is it.

I'm sorry and don't want to scare you, but.......
I would not want to bet on ANY bass being recommended here as ALL having very good B strings for that model. I'd be willing to accept that some might well have, but YOU must hear it for yourself before handing over the money.
This is why I mentioned the session test on the bass above... you can't use a 5 string bass in that enviroment and have it not work..

Just my 2p...and IME.

And when you find your bass that you think works... maybe come back here and post on your findings and thoughts and experiences in your quest...????? as this seems to me to be a holy grail type question.

Edited by JTUK

I'm going to drop the preference for a 5 string and stick with 4 for now, I need to learn my way around a bass and there's less worry about finding a bass with a suitable B string. So the V1004DX is definitely still a contender.