Why become a member? ×

Thinking of doing cover band

EdwardHimself

[url="http://www.partysounds.co.uk"]Partysounds[/url] is another website worth looking at for adverts. I think that three of my last four bands were through there.

What amp you'll need depends on the band. I could happily use a Gallien Kruger 200MB or a Hartke 120W combo with my old covers band, doing pop-rock and cod reggae on the social club circuit, but I'm using a 4x10 and 500W amp for the rock bands I'm with now. I was able to transport the GK and a headless Westone on the back of a motorcycle.

I suspect that you'll find that most rock musicians your age will be looking doing originals music, so your surmise about working with older people is probably spot on.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='818992' date='Apr 26 2010, 10:27 AM']No, i was born in newcastle but i actually live in Hull.[/quote]

OK. So I totally wasted my time with that post about the jam night then? :rolleyes: Such is life I guess! :)

[quote name='Conan' post='819111' date='Apr 26 2010, 11:40 AM']OK. So I totally wasted my time with that post about the jam night then? :rolleyes: Such is life I guess! :)[/quote]

Not totally

Hull Jam here
[url="http://www.pavebar.co.uk/"]http://www.pavebar.co.uk/[/url]

Tunes to learn: have a look through these threads on dance floor fillers, good pub tunes etc
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=8685&view=findpost&p=90010"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...ost&p=90010[/url]

and
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=55231&view=findpost&p=547315"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=547315[/url]

and
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=53620&view=findpost&p=532547"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=532547[/url]

Edited by OldGit

^ i dunno if that's a proper like jam night or anything, since i'm not really a jazz player. thanks for the thread reccomendations though, i shall be giving all these songs a look but from the looks of it many of them i can already play and others shouldn't be too much work so really i think from a playing point of view i'm okay.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='819069' date='Apr 26 2010, 11:16 AM']I'd add joinmyband to that too, i put an ad on there and within a week had loads of good offers, one from a cracking originals band and another for highly paid cruise work!

Also if you really have to cycle with your entire rig maybe have a look at something like these:
[url="http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2258&sid=610&cid=95"]http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid...=610&cid=95[/url]
[url="http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2260&sid=610&cid=95"]http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid...=610&cid=95[/url]

I never thought a bass amp could be that light until i picked up a shuttle combo. I've had pedals heavier than those things![/quote]

They look pretty good. Obviously amplification is a big issue here. I think really the criteria if i'm going to be able to bring it on a bike would have to be less than 20kg in mass and not too big either, also the price is going to have to be right because as much as i like bass amps, i'm not made of money and as HJ says there is no point in paying loads of money that i'm not going to get back.

[quote name='tauzero' post='819107' date='Apr 26 2010, 11:38 AM'][url="http://www.partysounds.co.uk"]Partysounds[/url] is another website worth looking at for adverts. I think that three of my last four bands were through there.

What amp you'll need depends on the band. I could happily use a Gallien Kruger 200MB or a Hartke 120W combo with my old covers band, doing pop-rock and cod reggae on the social club circuit, but I'm using a 4x10 and 500W amp for the rock bands I'm with now. I was able to transport the GK and a headless Westone on the back of a motorcycle.

I suspect that you'll find that most rock musicians your age will be looking doing originals music, so your surmise about working with older people is probably spot on.[/quote]

I'll definetly have a look at all these websites thanks. I would like a motorbike but really i think with all the tests and whatnot it's going to have to wait till after university. The bass i've got now is pretty light and compact i reckon so that shouldn't be a problem, it's just the amp really. I've had a look at those GK microbass combos and they look pretty good, certainly small enough to fit on my back without a doubt. Again it comes down to cost, if i can find a used one that falls within my price range then that would be great but i don't think i could afford £600.

[quote name='Conan' post='819111' date='Apr 26 2010, 11:40 AM']OK. So I totally wasted my time with that post about the jam night then? :rolleyes: Such is life I guess! :)[/quote]

I suppose it's my fault for putting the "north east" lolz even though technically it is the north east quadrant of england which is what i put.

Thanks guys you've been a real big help so far, this doesn't seem quite as crazy an idea now. Oh who am i kidding! :lol: but it at least seems a bit more achievable.

Having read through those threads, i suppose it's time to raid my dad's CD collection XD

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='gafbass02' post='818456' date='Apr 25 2010, 09:00 PM']Where there's a will there's a way....

(20 years in bands, 10 of which with a trace elliot stack, Now using markbass but still no driving licence!)[/quote]

Same here. Keyboards and now Bass.
Ive been lucky though and have been in bands with mates. I gig with two regular bands now so i have two small rigs. Each drummer keeps one at his house. On gig days i get myself to the drummers house and off we go. I do get dropped back home or stay at the drummer house after gigs.

Its been working for about 5 years now.

I'd say at this point - make sure to join an established band rather than trying to get your own started, even if you meet a blinding bunch of blokes and birds at a jam and decide the musical chemistry between you hasn't been seen since the days of early Queen :)

I'm getting my new band into the covers scene, and even though we're all experienced guys it takes a goodly while of rehearsals to get a set up to performance quality. This is all time they you're spending out money on practice rooms rather than earning.
Then you've got to make sure that you have enough PA and lighting to run a self-sufficient show. You'll need to pay for a demo recording, making copies thereof, artwork design, printing, web design, and hosting. These are not insurmountable obstacles but it's all time and money you're ploughing in which might be tough with going back to Uni.

Once a band is established, booking regular work, got a website running, found a poster and T-shirt printer who do a good deal, and bulk-book practice room time - most of these costs turn negligible and you can start raking it in.

Good luck!

[quote name='NickH' post='821031' date='Apr 27 2010, 07:29 PM']I'd say at this point - make sure to join an established band rather than trying to get your own started, even if you meet a blinding bunch of blokes and birds at a jam and decide the musical chemistry between you hasn't been seen since the days of early Queen :)[/quote]

I think that's the plan to find an already going band, i've tried forming loads of bands in the past and the problem is that it takes time to find the right people and get it tight. Since i only really have 40 weeks to be going on with for the first year at least then this might not be brilliant lolz.

[quote]I'm getting my new band into the covers scene, and even though we're all experienced guys it takes a goodly while of rehearsals to get a set up to performance quality. This is all time they you're spending out money on practice rooms rather than earning.
Then you've got to make sure that you have enough PA and lighting to run a self-sufficient show. You'll need to pay for a demo recording, making copies thereof, artwork design, printing, web design, and hosting. These are not insurmountable obstacles but it's all time and money you're ploughing in which might be tough with going back to Uni.

Once a band is established, booking regular work, got a website running, found a poster and T-shirt printer who do a good deal, and bulk-book practice room time - most of these costs turn negligible and you can start raking it in.

Good luck![/quote]

As i say these are problems that i'd rather not really be dealing with. Having said that, a lot of my recording stuff will probably accompany me to the uni so i reckon if i could get it over to the practice place then a recording shouldn't be too much of a huge expense. I'll probably want to ask about what the practice arrangements are and whether i'll have to pay loads of money for it but as i say hopefully i'll be able to find a band who have a lot of these things covered.

With my coverband we have good connections to a PA rental service, which we pay €100/150 euros depending on what set we need. We always get the same guy to come with us too (thank god he's good friends with us so he will work for free if it's a low-profit/playing even gig).
You need a PA or such a deal!

As for bass: in small pubs I don't get to play with DI, pure bass amp force. You need a good amp for that that doesn't go crazy at loud volumes! a 2x10" cab works like a charm in my case, preferably raised above-floor, or tilted if possible.

I was lucky though, to be able to get into a band with such connections!

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='828039' date='May 4 2010, 11:32 PM']As for bass: in small pubs I don't get to play with DI, pure bass amp force. You need a good amp for that that doesn't go crazy at loud volumes! a 2x10" cab works like a charm in my case, preferably raised above-floor, or tilted if possible.[/quote]

If i could find a light enough 2x10 then i might think about it. It would be great if i could afford a markbass 2x10 combo but then again that money would probably be better spent on some insurance lolz.

With regards to earning money, you will need to get in a decent band to do so. It takes a lot of practice & commitment to get a decent band together so they will want to maintain their reputation....you will be expected to be up to scratch in this case.
As a guitarist, I've been in an established covers band for over 6yrs. We don't need to rehearse unless we are introducing a new batch of songs so if we were auditioning (but we're not) and thought someone fitted the bill they would have to learn the setlist properly in their own time within a limited period. Only then would we be prepared to pay out for a studio for a full band rehearsal and that would be the only one; if they were'nt gig ready we'd use a dep until we found a replacement. Sounds harsh but we've done our share of shelling out for rehearsing to get where we are.
We definitely wouldn't consider a bass player without decent gear.
If it's beer money you're after, I'm sure there will be students around to form a band and get away with just enough to do that in your area.
Good luck!

[quote name='skampino' post='829763' date='May 6 2010, 04:20 PM']With regards to earning money, you will need to get in a decent band to do so. It takes a lot of practice & commitment to get a decent band together so they will want to maintain their reputation....you will be expected to be up to scratch in this case.
As a guitarist, I've been in an established covers band for over 6yrs. We don't need to rehearse unless we are introducing a new batch of songs so if we were auditioning (but we're not) and thought someone fitted the bill they would have to learn the setlist properly in their own time within a limited period. Only then would we be prepared to pay out for a studio for a full band rehearsal and that would be the only one; if they were'nt gig ready we'd use a dep until we found a replacement. Sounds harsh but we've done our share of shelling out for rehearsing to get where we are.
We definitely wouldn't consider a bass player without decent gear.
If it's beer money you're after, I'm sure there will be students around to form a band and get away with just enough to do that in your area.
Good luck![/quote]

as i say i'm not greedy but i think that i would be able to learn what was required of me, so long as it's nothing ridiculously complex, but then again if it's a covers band why would it be?

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='829769' date='May 6 2010, 04:24 PM']as i say i'm not greedy but i think that i would be able to learn what was required of me, so long as it's nothing ridiculously complex, but then again [b]if it's a covers band why would it be?[/b][/quote]

Ha ha ha ha ha

Well let's see... because covers bands play stuff that's hard as well as Mustang Sally?

Oh and you'll probably need to learn 50 or 60 tunes from the last 60 years in a short amount of time to keep up with your average covers band that's been around for a while...

Edited by OldGit

To Edward H: Regarding the not too complex line. Just had a look through our set list. There are 53 tunes on it from the 60`s to now and we are strictly a pub band, no functions. That`s a lot of music to learn and perfom to a good standard, good enough that your band gets asked back again. :)

Jez

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='829577' date='May 6 2010, 02:34 PM']If i could find a light enough 2x10 then i might think about it. It would be great if i could afford a markbass 2x10 combo but then again that money would probably be better spent on some insurance lolz.[/quote]

I am one of those people that do not like the markbass gear... the tone is not vivid enough for me. As for a good lightweight cab, there are loads to be found in the amps and cabs forum; the leightweight cabs thread. I'm very fond of my Eden Nemesis set, but you might even want to go for less weight.
What amp are you currently using?

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='830033' date='May 6 2010, 08:49 PM']I am one of those people that do not like the markbass gear... the tone is not vivid enough for me. As for a good lightweight cab, there are loads to be found in the amps and cabs forum; the leightweight cabs thread. I'm very fond of my Eden Nemesis set, but you might even want to go for less weight.
What amp are you currently using?[/quote]

nothing at the moment. I suppose it all comes down to personal preference because i really like the sound of them. I had a look at the eden nemesis series which i think looks pretty good for the money.

Edited by EdwardHimself

I got lucky. The band I joined have a big enough practice PA so I dont even need an amp for practice, (although I would take one if I wasn't on the Metro late at night).

I drive but I don't need a car up here where I'm based so both myself and the girlfriend sold them.

Best investment is a quality DI/effects DI like Sansamp or the Tonehammer.

I got by on being friendly and enthusiastic. They even have a cheap backup bass I sometimes use if the weather is poor on rehearsal nights.

Don't give up. A good bassist is more than a car and amp :)

Once you settle in, I'd suggest a nice lightweight amp like Bass Terror/LM2 or 3....etc.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='830389' date='May 7 2010, 09:47 AM']looks good, but i think it would be far too cumbersome and heavy for what i need.[/quote]

Could you not ask one of the band members that have a car to keep with them? That's what i do.
Of course you cant do this until you've joined the band but its worth thinking about.

I would say not having a amp might limit the band you can join. Both my bands only use vocal PA's so while i can and do go through them its more for top end spread. I certainly couldn't get away with not having an amp (especially as i wouldn't have a monitor either).

As for a DI box, i have a Behringer BDI21 that works well and they only cost about £25.

Edited by dave_bass5