Why become a member? ×

Is it ever worth trying to buff a turd just a little?

Ancient Mariner

I have one of those very cheap Johnny Brooke jazz bass copies, and with work and time it's becoming more worthwhile to play. However the sound is a bit dull and it's fairly thuddy instead of being crisp and harmonically rich. Anyone have an opinion of Wilkinson jazz bass pickups - like or dislike? What about some of those heavier modern style bass bridges one sees, or is it only worth going badass/Gotoh on a J type?

In the guitar world turds can sometimes take a surprising amount of shine if carefully upgraded, but I don't know if the same is true of basses.

It depends what you mean by "worth". If you mean financial worth, no way. You will never get your money back on modifications. If you mean to do it for your own personal amusement or to learn more about modding/repairing basses then yes, it is a most worthwhile enterprise.

With that in mind, keep all the original parts, if you decide it's not for you then put it back the way it was (if possible) and flog the replacement parts separately, this will minimise the financial loss. Or keep the parts for another project, if you get bitten by the bug :)

Change the pickups and you'll hear the difference straight away, change the bridge and I doubt you will notice at all.

Jazz type bridges work fine, the screws under the saddles transmit the vibrations through the metal bridge plate to the body unless its warped. Only the bent bit at the end which hangs onto the string ball ends matters here, and if you're satisfied it doesn't flex under vibration (I'm sure it doesn't) you won't benefit from changing it. If its string through body you will get no benefit from any new bridge.

I have just let a nice 'J&D Brothers' P-bass go, it was lovely, nice neck, one piece solid alder body but the sound was a little thin. Its in the good hands of a youngster learning jazz now, but new pickups would have made it a killer bass. Cost me nothing from the dreaded ebay and is as new.

I think its definitely worthwhile getting the best from any bass you use, as long as you can afford it and know that little or no financial value will be added by 'polishing a turd'. We seem to be so pent up about spoiling valuable instruments and feeling foolish investing in unvaluable instruments. Its your bass, enjoy it and get the best from it - if you can't, sell it and buy another. Having said that, I don't let anyone near my older basses!

My main player is a polished Turd. 1989 Sunn Mustang P-bass copy, from an Argos catalogue. I scraped off all the nasty poly finish, and crappy veneer I found under that, put in new pups, refinished it in Danish oil, and I've never heard sustain like it. Sounds flipping brilliant, plays fantastically, but still looks like a turd, thus stopping people stealing it, hoorah! (the 70s F*nder decal on the headstock ain't fooling anyone).

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='815983' date='Apr 23 2010, 11:31 AM']It's a lot easier to get a good sound out of a bass that plays well and sounds bad than to get a bass that sounds amazing and plays like a dog to play better.[/quote]

If it feels nice to play, has a decent neck and good action and blah blah, then go for it. New pickups don't have to cost the earth, and like neep says, if you find it doesn't work out you can always flog the new pups on and minimise your costs. And the best of luck -- looks like an interesting project. :)

You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter :)

<- that one is a cheapy jap 80's bass that I've upgraded everything on and it's brilliant now - love it although it's been superceded by the lakland now I suppose but I played it for the best part of 6 years non stop.