Why become a member? ×

Renaissance - Jon Camp

nick

Heard a track in the car on the way home yesterday on Radio 2 called 'Northern Lights' by a band called Renaissance.
Blew me away, (to my ears) sounds something like Hooky [i](on a good day)[/i] playing with Peter, Paul & Mary(?!) :)

Not found much on the net ,other than bassplayer was Jon Camp & this nice (unrelated) montage of the song on You Tube
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJvfkkdWVtc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJvfkkdWVtc[/url]

Top bassline or what?!

Edited by nick

[quote name='nick' post='88598' date='Nov 14 2007, 07:03 PM']Heard a track in the car on the way home yesterday on Radio 2 called 'Northern Lights' by a band called Renaissance.
Blew me away, (to my ears) sounds something like Hooky [i](on a good day)[/i] playing with Peter, Paul & Mary(?!) :)[/quote]
Cor, that takes me back. I've seen them play live in Salford Uni, in about 1977. I've got one of those flat round black
things they used to call a record somewhere. As far as I recall, Mr. Camp played a Rickenbacker.

Singer was a lass called Annie Haslam from Bolton. It's all flooding back.

I acquired a load of their albums a loooooong time ago having found out about them whilst stayng in Switzerland with my Godmother. Started with "Ashes are Burning" unfortunately on vinyl & I have no deck at the mo.

If you use eMusic you can find at least one album there, listed as by The Renaissance, but beware as searching for that also brings up a different band completely with the same name.

If you don't do eMusic you can get 25 free downloads in the first month after you join up so you could register download the Renaissance album & some other bits & de-register within a month and it costs you nothing.

If you want to try it out PM me your email and I shall recommend it to you from my account - 'cos when you register through me I get extra free downloads :)

Sorry thats off this topic a bit, but you have to try don't you :huh:

I heard Northern lights on 6music a year ago, and thought it was Chris Squire on bass-

a bit of searching dug up an interview with Jon Camp, and he said his hero was indeed Chris Squire.

I also found a pic of him playing a custom-built doubleneck with the bass side styled like a Rick (not a Rick though, it had flash woods and inlays)

Their gimmick was they had an acoustic (not electric) guitarist who also wrote the songs and sat on a stool on stage. So it was down to the bass player to add to the visual appeal!

Saw them live but was not really that imporessed (though the single is a good un). They drew things out a bit, so got trampled by the likes of the Damned and Eddie and the Hot Rods!!! :)

[quote name='SJA' post='88971' date='Nov 15 2007, 03:04 PM']found that pic of the doubleneck-

[url="http://www.nlightsweb.com"]http://www.nlightsweb.com[/url][/quote]

Never mind the doubleneck, check out that mullet! :)
I'm going to get the album 'A Song for All Seasons'. Not usually a fan of Prog, but I like this guy's style!

Nick ,

If Rennaisance grabs you ,you should check out a band called Magenta. I was involved in the staging of a Prog Rock festival a few years ago and these guys totally stole the show.A very Pro live act .They reminded me of Rennaisance and this is a common reaction by those of us old enough to remember the original band.Because of the comparisons with their singer Christina and Annie Haslam , Annie has sung with them and appeared on stage with them.

[url="http://www.magenta-web.com/"]http://www.magenta-web.com/[/url]

• Like 1

• 16 years later...

Brief resurrection of a zombie thread...... 🧟‍♂️ 

Since a turning 60 a couple of years ago I’ve been listening to music (rock, folk and classical) that I’ve always meant to get around to listening to over the last few decades, but hadn’t up until now as life just got in the way.

One of these was Renaissance (the band) - as my teenage years were in the 1970’s I was quite heavily into Prog rock at the time, but Renaissance for whatever reason totally passed me by - I was aware of ‘Northern Lights” when it was released as a single and thought it a pleasant ditty with some nice Chris Squire-ish bass on it, but really no more than that.

So, recently bought the “best of” CD’s (Tales of 1001 nights vols 1 & 2), plus the 3rd album “Prologue” as many online reviews rated “Sounds of the sea” as their fave song which is missing off the complications.

Wow.  Full fat Prog, which the single would give you no idea of; maybe not with the sheer musicianship of Yes or Genesis, but superb compositions and arrangements.   Jon Camp often compared to Chris Squire and there are indeed similarities, but he has his own style and feel.   The wonderful vocals of Annie Haslam certainly lift them into a niche of their own - again there are better singers, but her style fits effortlessly into the mood of music and has the technical skill to fit into the complex arrangements.

Anyone recommend any individual albums, or has likewise discovered bands they should have discovered ages ago?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rich said:

A 16 year zombie thread? Whoa, that must be some sort of record. :)

I’m sure it’s not, in fact I’m sure I have older FS threads of unsold gear that I could resurrect! 😉

3 old (but very short) existing threads on Renaissance, so just didn’t want to start a new one; though evidently of no interest anyway.

Right, off to listen to some Curved Air now......🤔

Having solely been a classical guy in my teens in the 70s, I missed most of these things. I had a potter around YT to listen to various items and found them interesting. I do find it interesting how musicianship and skill was commonplace back then. The level of sophistication with the writing and the arrangements/orchestration.  

• Like 2

On 01/03/2024 at 17:49, Shaggy said:

Anyone recommend any individual albums, or has likewise discovered bands they should have discovered ages ago?

Ah, my favourite band of that era/ genre.

What's generally regarded as the “classic” lineup wasn’t fully in place till the 1974 Turn of the Cards album so anything from that up to ‘79s Azure d’or is well worth the effort. 
Also brilliant is the “Live at Carnegie Hall” double album recorded over three consecutive nights with the New York Philharmonic.

Camp was/ is a great bassist and along with Chris Squire a massive influence on early me in my playing style and bass buying habits!

• Like 1