Why become a member? ×

What the... they forgot some frets???

mgibson

I was flicking through a copy of [i][/i]Bass Player[i][/i] and i saw this ibanez, a six string, suffice to say it is fretted for the B,E,A and D strings but not for the G and C strings, sorry if this has already been brought up, i haven't been on for a long time, but would anyone actually use this?

[quote name='mgibson' post='811688' date='Apr 19 2010, 07:12 PM']I was flicking through a copy of [i][/i]Bass Player[i][/i] and i saw this ibanez, a six string, suffice to say it is fretted for the B,E,A and D strings but not for the G and C strings, sorry if this has already been brought up, i haven't been on for a long time, but would anyone actually use this?[/quote]
Of course. Part fretted instruments are not new at all. Very useful in my opinion. Not for everyone though.

I play a 6 string. I play lots of chords but also use the higher strings on their own sometimes. There is quite a noticable difference in tone for the high C (much more like guitar than bass) IMO so if this bass has another string higher than that, I can see why they're considering these differently. Making them fretless would avoid the attacky sound you get off frets, and any buzz, thus making it a bit more bass-like. So, it all makes a bit of sense to me.

However, only having the bridge pup for those two strings?!? What's that all about?

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='811858' date='Apr 19 2010, 08:54 PM']The stock tuning on this is actually EADGDG ([url="http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR2010ASC"]link[/url]) but it fails IMO as it only has a bridge pickup for the fretless strings. Not the fretless sound I like. YMMV.[/quote]
Looks like a half-baked mess. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='812708' date='Apr 20 2010, 04:19 PM']That's why it doesn't make sense to me. They built it with just one half-baked musical idea in mind.[/quote]

What I meant to say is that there's a logic to it. I agree it's not going to be of use to most people. I'm not buying one.

[quote name='The Funk' post='812810' date='Apr 20 2010, 05:28 PM']What I meant to say is that there's a logic to it. I agree it's not going to be of use to most people. I'm not buying one.[/quote]

Sure, but it's the sort of logic that brought us the hair-cutting vacuum cleaner attachment, or the toasted sandwich maker.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='812814' date='Apr 20 2010, 05:34 PM']Sure, but it's the sort of logic that brought us the hair-cutting vacuum cleaner attachment, or the toasted sandwich maker.[/quote]

You don't like toasted sandwich makers? :)

It'll be a gimmick for most people: anyone who's ever complained about not being able to slap on a fretless. A lot of what gets put out is about gimmicks.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='812814' date='Apr 20 2010, 05:34 PM']Sure, but it's the sort of logic that brought us the hair-cutting vacuum cleaner attachment, or the toasted sandwich maker.[/quote]

You have your hair cut without a head vacuum?

How odd.

[quote]How can they say its the worlds first when im sure ive seen fender necks that are fretless after 12th fret?[/quote]
I'm sure I've seen the other way around too: fretless up to the 12th, fretted after.

Then there's the "flick of a switch 'hey look Mum - no frets'" bass which caught on so quickly that we're all playing them 3 years after the first batch was released, oh wait...

Edited by dougal