Why become a member? ×

Is this a scam?

I spotted this ad on Ebay. I'm particularly interested in the Frank Bello bass, but there are some other very interesting bargains too:

[url="http://www.maltadir.com/mobile/ads/business/for-sale/for-sale-fender-stratocaster-jeff-beck-550euro.html"]http://www.maltadir.com/mobile/ads/busines...ck-550euro.html[/url]

I sent a general enquiry email and got this in return:

"Hello,
Thanks for your mail and interest in buying from us, we have the Fender Guitar in stock for sale in our company brand new factory sealed in its original boxes with complete accessories and 2 years international warranty from the manufacturers and 90 days return policy from our company.

We are based in United Kingdom and we ship world wide via UPS or FedEx courier service and shipping will only take 2 days to deliver to your doorstep.

Bellow is the quotation for the Fender Guitar Fender Frank Bello bass will cost you 270Euro including shipping fee.

Note that payment will be made via western union money transfer and as soon as we confirm your payment, we will ship out to you and send you the tracking number of your package and in the next 2 days your package will be delivered to your doorstep.

I will like you to place your full order with your shipping information and phone number as listed bellow."

I replied asking for:

Their UK address
Where the bass actually is
Pictures of the bass
Serial number

My thinking here would be if the bass is in the UK, and if photo's duly arrive, and if serial numbers check out, I'd try and go and pick up the bass and hand over cash. Otherwise, I'm deeply suspicious.

What does everybody think?

Steve

I reckon at best you could get a Squier Frank Bello for that money, no way a pukka Fender & anything involving Western Union or any other method which involves giving a complete stranger my bank details would put me off 100%.

Best of luck, 'cos the Frank Bello is a tremendous bass :)
Cheers,
John

I would be very suspicious as their Australian ads have a Sydney Address, the German ads have a Berlin address and the Malta ads have a Maltese address but all with the same phone number.

The phone number is (I think) a UK "Personal Number" (See here : [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_numbering"]Wikipedia : Personal Numbers[/url])

The email addresses are all free addresses (Gmail and hotmail)

Do a google search for their phone number (the one starting with 44) and see how many hits for different companies with the same number there are! Seems to be musical instruments, mobile phones, laptops and watches.

Personally, I'd walk the other way

Andy :)