Why become a member? ×

Squier Classic Vibe 60s Precision Bass Fiesta Red

faceman

[quote name='cameltoe' post='811781' date='Apr 19 2010, 08:10 PM']Well I'm in London next month, as it happens.

That 50's P is just beautiful. Is it a Seymour Duncan in there?

I need to do some thinking really. I bought the Fret King Perception that was advertised on here a while back and it's an absolutley stunning bass, plays beatifully, but it's a bit too heavy for me, and it sits awkwardly on me too.

I'd love to trade it for one of those, second hand really, so as not to lose too much money.

I noticed there's one in the For Sale section for £200. Problem is I'd love to try it first.[/quote]

Well send me a pm when you are in London and if I am not at sea, we can meet up and you are more than welcome to come and try it.

Yes it is a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound, and it ouzes [size=3]BIG[/size] dollops of honey!

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Musicman20' post='811682' date='Apr 19 2010, 07:05 PM']Ah yes! We discussed the Ray 5s...dont you have a Big Al coming?! Thats going to be awesome....

Have you got a preference on the rosewood vs maple on Stingrays?

I think if I go Classic Vibe itll be the Jazz...[/quote]

Yes I am a sucker for maple necks but I ended up with a few rosewood's when I was out of choice.

The Bongo's don't come in maple, the 25th Anniversary was bought from America through a friend and it was the last in that store in Kentucky and beggers won't be choosers, as it was purchased after the date in which Ernie Ball stopped making the anniversary series. The 60's precision and 60's Jazz only come in rosewood so no such luck there.

But the Big Al 5 SSS will be maple and so will the 51 Reissue effing Sting lookalike :) yay!!

Received my Classic Vibe Fiesta Red precision today..... :)

Very impressed, to say the least.

It's excellent quality for the money, no doubt about it!

It's just as good, if not better than my MIJ '62 re-issue Precision, at first glance.

The true test will obviously be when I gig it.

For now though, it's made me a happy bunny! It's even set up really nicely :rolleyes:

Dunno yet if I'll upgrade the pups and wiring as others have, but i'm not ruling it out :lol:

Cheers for a great thread guys!

• 4 months later...

Just listened back to my own clips and the GAS for a Precision returns. I also managed to play quite well for a change on these clips :)

I did eventually sell this bass, mainly due to collection reaching up to four guitars, not to the determent of this baby. Must, resist, another!

• 1 year later...

Im still loving mine. Thanks to GW's neck change thread i realised how much nicer the red version looks with a maple neck, so ive got a Maple Lakland JO neck on mine. Still dont like the colour but i can live with it. White would be perfect.

Thinking about putting a Fralin in it at the moment but it would need to be a second hand one as these cost about half what a new CVP costs. The Fender 62RI pup i have in it now is fine but having owned Fralins in the past i think that would round off the modifications just nicely.

• 2 months later...

Have had one of these for my "blues bass" for a few years now. Always strung with D'Adarrio Chromes, in their lightest gauge. Takes me about 3 weeks to break them in, and these have been on the bass for 3 years. I have tried the Seymour Antiquity 1 (I like this sound..and I am an endorser), and the fender '62 RI pu's..SD wins it ..with flats, rw's are a different story. Took off the crap bridge and put on a Fender vintage with ridged saddles..THAT was a nice improvement, and I never see it mentioned.Took the finish down a bit on the back of the neck..changed the tort guard to a mint green one, which cuts the awful glare of the poly finish down a bit. overall, this is a very nice bass..comparable to my 73 precision, but with a BETTER build quality. I think most of 70's Fender basses were made by hung over hillrods..same as American cars of that age. It's great to have a bass you can toss in a gig bag and not worry about. Have recorded with it too, and once the chromes are worn in..there isn't a session of blues I would be worried taking this to.

I also too the bridge off mine and replaced it with a Fender Vintage, but then replaced that with a Gotoh 201.

The reason i changed the bridge in the first place was to get a slightly narrower string spacing. I was happy with the Fender but then when i put the Lakland neck on i needed to raise the bridge a bit so got the Gotoh. I now have one on both my CV's.
Other than the colour still bugging me i cant see any reason to get another P.

• 2 months later...

I recently bought a Pinky (Fiesta Red) for 318 in Denmark Street (bass only shop Wunjo) which was as cheap a price as I found anywhere. I also tried the new Fender 50s P, a Squier J and a Fender Jag as well as 2-3 others. While the Fender at 400 was nice it was a bit flabby for me in spite of the Stingray-type neck.

Being an old geezer, the old-school Squier 60s P was the bizz. I have 2 Sadowsky's in Australia which are the dog's (prices to match) and a Jap Fender J 60's reissue which is as good a Fender as I've played. This 'cheapo' compares very well to the Jap Fender at half the price. Forget about the brand name, this bass is cracking value whatever stickers it has on it.

I use TI Flats on all my basses and the first thing I did was whack a set on.

Might look at the upgrade above if it's not too expensive. Anyone else done it apart from Wazza?
The colour? If Pino's ok with it then so am I.

I got a fiesta red 60s -off here- recently and have put a set of flats on it and am loving the classic tone.
Popped a bit of soft foam under the strings by the bridge to mute a bit and it sounds ace for a bit of staccato type thing
I am a novice, just been playing bass for a few months, but find it very easy to play and the flats really help with slides.

One thing, popped the pickguard off to have a quick butcher's at the electrics and it's got CTS 250k pots and an orange drop cap in there. Is this standard on these or has it been upgraded?

[quote name='GS1000' timestamp='1349381687' post='1825658']
One thing, popped the pickguard off to have a quick butcher's at the electrics and it's got CTS 250k pots and an orange drop cap in there. Is this standard on these or has it been upgraded?
[/quote]
That'll have been upgraded. Shameless plug... I've got a sonic blue one for sale ATM.

• 4 months later...

Yes, definitely a difference. The bass had more body to it, more low end punch and just sounded better IMO.
Saying that, i dont have the Thumper in any more, I have a Fender Original 62RI and i much prefer this pup. Its not quite as dark sounding, but still a big improvement over the stock pup and sounds more "woody" to my ears, while still having a nice low end thump.