Why become a member? ×

575 watt head w/ 810 cab?

theFALLEN

Hey guys,

Need a bit of advice if you'd mind giving it!

Basically I am wondering whether an Ashdown ABM500 EVO II head would do a good job of powering an 810 cabinet? Obviously if the impedances matched etc etc.

Would the head be able to power the cab sufficiently or would it be under powered?

A bit about me: I play a Musicman Stringray 3EQ in a heavy rock band with a similar sound to KillSwitch Engage/ Avenged Sevenfold. I am up against a lot of electronic samples, two EVH5505 guitar sticks, a lot of backing vocals and a big a$$ drumkit...

I am aiming for a warm, low, punchy sound (which I am achieving currently) but need it bigger and much louder!

Thanks guys, any advice that you give would be much appreciated.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='803901' date='Apr 12 2010, 04:52 PM']What 8x10 is it? They don't tend to go very low, ported one might be better. Should be plenty of power if you are after an 8x10 sound.

If you have the right sound now, go for more of the same. What are you currently running?[/quote]

I am currently running the Ashdown 575 watt head with a 210 cab.

I havn't really tried many 810 cabs yet but will probably want to look at either an Ashdown ABM or perhaps the new Hartke Hydrive?...

Also, what does ported mean?...

[quote name='theFALLEN' post='803897' date='Apr 12 2010, 04:49 PM']Hey guys,

Need a bit of advice if you'd mind giving it!

Basically I am wondering whether an Ashdown ABM500 EVO II head would do a good job of powering an 810 cabinet? Obviously if the impedances matched etc etc.

Would the head be able to power the cab sufficiently or would it be under powered?

A bit about me: I play a Musicman Stringray 3EQ in a heavy rock band with a similar sound to KillSwitch Engage/ Avenged Sevenfold. I am up against a lot of electronic samples, two EVH5505 guitar sticks, a lot of backing vocals and a big a$$ drumkit...

I am aiming for a warm, low, punchy sound (which I am achieving currently) but need it bigger and much louder!

Thanks guys, any advice that you give would be much appreciated.[/quote]
I've used an Ashdown ABM900 head (575+575 watts) with an Ampeg 8x10 and an Ampeg 6x10. It was absolutely fine.

[quote name='theFALLEN' post='804091' date='Apr 12 2010, 08:21 PM']So apart from knowing that someone runs twice the cabs with twice the power, does anyone have any actual genuine advice to offer me please? :)

Thanks guys.[/quote]
It was genuine advice.

Your amp delivers 575 watts @ 4 ohms; a 4 ohm Ampeg 810 handles up to 800 watts; my experience is that they worked fine together.

I'm sorry that you thought it not genuine.

An efficient 300 watt amp is more than capable of driving an 8x10 to silly levels of volume. Used a Mesa Walkabout head through an 8x10 and it cut through two full marshall guitar stacks and a very loud drummer.

Ashdown Evos sound fine through an Ampeg 8x10. It is the stock set up in a few rehearsal studios around Glasgow. Personally I think that the Ampeg cabs are better than the Ashdown cabs, but the price of 8x10 Mag cab is really good value for money.

[quote name='theFALLEN' post='803913' date='Apr 12 2010, 05:01 PM']I am currently running the Ashdown 575 watt head with a 210 cab.[/quote]

Just a thought, but why don't you just add a 410? You'll get very close to same result - you'd benefit from the "full" 575w, plus a really flexible set up 210, 410, 610. Easier to lug about and store. Reduced hernia risk also :) I have an abm and the second cab makes all the difference.

In answer to the actual question - the ABM head should be absolutely fine, assuming all things compatible.

[quote name='BluRay' post='804552' date='Apr 13 2010, 08:29 AM']Just a thought, but why don't you just add a 410? You'll get very close to same result - you'd benefit from the "full" 575w, plus a really flexible set up 210, 410, 610. Easier to lug about and store. Reduced hernia risk also :) I have an abm and the second cab makes all the difference.[/quote]

I wouldn't recommend this. Assuming that the 210 is an 8 ohm cab, then you'd need the 410 to also be an 8 ohm cab to keep the combined impedance above 4 ohm. However, this will then mean that when you run them together, the speakers in the 210 are working twice as hard as the speakers in the 410.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='804626' date='Apr 13 2010, 10:13 AM']I wouldn't recommend this. Assuming that the 210 is an 8 ohm cab, then you'd need the 410 to also be an 8 ohm cab to keep the combined impedance above 4 ohm. However, this will then mean that when you run them together, the speakers in the 210 are working twice as hard as the speakers in the 410.

S.P.[/quote]

16 ohm 2x10 is best way, then its equivalent to a 6x10 at 5.3 ohm (usually marked 6).

Probably better buying my 6x12 though, be lighter.

[quote name='theFALLEN' post='803913' date='Apr 12 2010, 05:01 PM']I am currently running the Ashdown 575 watt head with a 210 cab.[/quote]

I'm another that would recommend looking at the Barefaced Vintage model (the 2x15", 4 ohm, 800W thing!).
Considering the bass, amp and music you play that cab may be a really good solution for you.

I use 2 of the Compact models (1x15" cabs) so essentially the same thing which may also be an option for you...

Good luck,
Jon

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='804626' date='Apr 13 2010, 10:13 AM']I wouldn't recommend this. Assuming that the 210 is an 8 ohm cab, then you'd need the 410 to also be an 8 ohm cab to keep the combined impedance above 4 ohm. However, this will then mean that when you run them together, the speakers in the 210 are working twice as hard as the speakers in the 410.

S.P.[/quote]

Yes fair enough - if the smaller cab cant comfortably take half the load then it would strain it. But if it can (like an amb 210, say) then no probs.

S.P.[/quote]

Is that a big problem? I'm currently running a 400w 2x10 (GK 210RBH) and thinking about getting a cheap Ashdown Mag410T (350w) to beef up the volume from my 700RB-II. Considering the speakers in the 210 are rated at over twice the power of the 410, that shouldn't be a problem, right?

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='806069' date='Apr 14 2010, 02:31 PM']Is that a big problem? I'm currently running a 400w 2x10 (GK 210RBH) and thinking about getting a cheap Ashdown Mag410T (350w) to beef up the volume from my 700RB-II. Considering the speakers in the 210 are rated at over twice the power of the 410, that shouldn't be a problem, right?[/quote]

The 210 sould be absoultely fine with the MAG, assuming is 8ohm. Don't know anything about biamping tho! :)

[quote name='BluRay' post='804552' date='Apr 13 2010, 08:29 AM']Just a thought, but why don't you just add a 410? You'll get very close to same result - you'd benefit from the "full" 575w, plus a really flexible set up 210, 410, 610. Easier to lug about and store. Reduced hernia risk also :rolleyes: I have an abm and the second cab makes all the difference.

In answer to the actual question - the ABM head should be absolutely fine, assuming all things compatible.[/quote]
+1
I run an EVO III 500 with 1X ABM 210T which is great for practice, 1X 410T which is good for most mid sized venues, and both cabs if I want to get stupidly loud!
The cabs are 8 Ohm each, so running both not only moves a great deal of air, but drives the amp at maximum output.

I find the setup does everything I want :)