Why become a member? ×

DI boxes

HoweDy

I know this may sound like an outrageous question to some of you but, does anyone know how much should a standard DI box costs? Because a Mark Bass DI costs around 70 quid, that seems a bit steep to me :s does anyone have a standard DI that they would like to sell? and if so how much?

cheers

I've used these for a few years, pretty good, reliable and cheap - [url="http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=BEHRINGER+DI100+ULTRA-DI&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=12XCS4fjMIH20wTT0vSoBg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CB0QrQQwAg"]http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=BEHRING...ved=0CB0QrQQwAg[/url]

Art X and Z direct boxes are fantastic, much better than most, and usually under £35.

I'm buying an X direct soon - My old one went missing.

Short of paying out £100+/- for a Radial, these are the best i've used.

The Behrinkers are [i]OK[/i]

[quote name='Hamster' post='803297' date='Apr 12 2010, 01:15 AM']I've used these for a few years, pretty good, reliable and cheap - [url="http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=BEHRINGER+DI100+ULTRA-DI&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=12XCS4fjMIH20wTT0vSoBg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CB0QrQQwAg"]http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=BEHRING...ved=0CB0QrQQwAg[/url][/quote]

sweet cheers

• 1 month later...

Sorry; late to the party on this one, but I can't miss the the opportunity to wholeheartedly recommend the [url="http://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk/"]Orchid Electronics Classic DI Box[/url].

Handmade in Devon by a one-man operation, these cost barely more ( £34.50 ) than the Behringer ones, but utterly outclass them in every way. They work flawlessly and virtually never break. Some of mine are close to 20 years old and still going strong.

John at Orchid also produces a compact, stripped down version, and a version with a muting footswitch; also builds custom electronics at extremely reasonable prices.

Sorry to sound like an advert; I'm not getting paid for this, honest! Just expressing some customer loyalty and appreciation!

[quote name='Doddy' post='803304' date='Apr 12 2010, 01:31 AM']I've got a couple of EMO Systems DI's that I regularly use. They are really good-a lot of theatre's use
them. They're also about £70.[/quote]

I think Canford Audio still own these, so you'd probably only get them from their catalogue. Venues like them because they're passive (no batteries or phantom power required) and apart from the earth lift toggle switch which is an easy repair/replace, they're pretty bullet proof.

These things have been going for years, and I think there has been a lot of manufacturers come on the market with equally good if not better options. But for a passive unit, they're pretty much the dogs danglies.

Note: THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION - I wouldn't advise the MTC ones. I have one myself I use as I was given it for free and run it on an internal battery. However, when we bought a batch at the venue I used to work (to try and save money on the EMOs), IIRC we often popped them whilst switching phantom power in and out and they would fry the whole internal board, rather than just a single fuse or component - so became instant bin jobs.

Of course, that was about 7 years ago, they may have improved the protection by now.

My personal moral to this story: If you want this DI to be the be all and end all and give you amazing clarity in every environment, then perhaps look at the powered ones. If you want a sturdy reliable workhorse that will work with any desk at any venue an not be worried about the electronics frying, then perhaps something passive like the EMO would be better.

Just my opinions of course!

[quote name='acidbass' post='851285' date='May 29 2010, 05:59 PM']Is there a big difference in using a top-class DI box (Radial, Avalon etc) as opposed to a Behringer or equivalent, apart from reliability and robustness?[/quote]

If the sound engineer is lame and kills your sound, then I guess there is no difference.
If the sound engineer is good but the house PA is rubbish, then again, there won't be much difference.
If sound engineer and house PA are great ... then it may be worth it ... but how many time does that happen ???

If you're DI-ing alot try the Sansamp Bass driver. I bit more pricey but you will get a Tube esq sound which you can blend in plus drive, if you want. It's fun by a 9v, phantom power or the usual pedal mains adaptor. This will add warth to any rig, but will give the front of house a great sound. I usually DI out of that then go into my rig. On acoustic gigs I use this into the desk.

My friend used one on a big rock gig, when instead of a bass amp as the amp on loan blew up.. its' awesome

There is a nice Radial passive going in the for sales....as long as you're after a passive DI you won't get much better? I run mine from the preamp output of SWR's and its very very good, with no complaints (to date) from engineers in many venues, in a few countries.