Why become a member? ×

Bravewood Relics

AndyTravis

[quote name='rodney72a' post='802304' date='Apr 11 2010, 02:54 AM']So the guy puts Fender decals on the headstock, and the bridge on that '56 style is stamped 'Fender'. (Is that an original bridge?) Yet they're not Fender basses. Anyone else has a problem with that?[/quote]

No! If it plays like a Fender, sounds, feels and looks like a Fender, then it's either a Fender, or something that's as good as one!
It's not as though they are factory-built from inferior materials and sold as something they're not - like some real Fenders!

[quote name='rodney72a' post='802304' date='Apr 11 2010, 02:54 AM']So the guy puts Fender decals on the headstock, and the bridge on that '56 style is stamped 'Fender'. (Is that an original bridge?) Yet they're not Fender basses. Anyone else has a problem with that?[/quote]

Not here

[quote name='BassBod' post='801729' date='Apr 10 2010, 12:45 PM'][attachment=46907:DSCN1159.JPG]

Here's a pic from its earlier life, with DiMarzio and tort.....nice bass![/quote]

Erm ... Seymour Duncan Basslines 'Quarter Pound', apparently. And I put the tort back on - I reckon it looks much nicer than with the anodised.

As Ben pointed out when he was selling this, it has accumulated several years of genuine play-wear, dents & scratches. I've already discovered the hard way how fragile the nitro finish can be; nothing serious, but a bit of a wake-up call as to how I look after this bass.

It is no longer remotely "as new" but that's fine, I have zero problemo with something accumulating a few scars through age and experience. :rolleyes:

It's the whole relic'ing thing I just don't get. I'm just going to deliberately wreck the finish on this lovely instrument cos then it'll look cool. Allegedly. :)

[quote name='discreet' post='802335' date='Apr 11 2010, 08:42 AM']No! If it plays like a Fender, sounds, feels and looks like a Fender, then it's either a Fender, or something that's as good as one!
It's not as though they are factory-built from inferior materials and sold as something they're not - like some real Fenders![/quote]

I was getting more at the fact that he builds pretty close replicas of pre-CBS Fenders. Does he fake (sorry, replicate) stuff like pot codes, neck stamps etc as well - how far does it go? I'm sure there's no deceit intended in the first place but what could potentially happen a few years down the line, once an instruments has changed owners a few times?

i'm in further discussions with WesFinn/Steed Basses, love the idea of working with a luthier just setting up, and i've been really impressed with what i've seen of his work, and his 'can do' attitude.
Fingers crossed, we'll set something in stone soon.

Thanks for all your help, and photos guys...

Trav

• 1 month later...

I have a bravewood bass (fretless 62 jbass) which is the most amazing thing.

Someone was asking about growly jazz basses on BC the other day. I never knew what growl was on a j bass until I played the bravewood. I think the vintage wound bareknuckles have a lot to do with it...this bass really growls...

[quote name='Cairobill' post='842320' date='May 19 2010, 04:59 PM']I have a bravewood bass (fretless 62 jbass) which is the most amazing thing.

Someone was asking about growly jazz basses on BC the other day. I never knew what growl was on a j bass until I played the bravewood. I think the vintage wound bareknuckles have a lot to do with it...this bass really growls...[/quote]

Hey Bill... can you post a piccy of your bravewood... I have a thing about 62 Jazzers... I have one!

[quote name='jonthebass' post='801800' date='Apr 10 2010, 02:00 PM']In light of John at Bravewood not taking on any more commisions at the moment I feel honoured that he took on and built me this recently:

Cheers,
Jon.[/quote]
Have to admit I'm not a fan of the reliced ones, but this is just... :wub: :wub: :wub: