Why become a member? ×

An Ebay disaster in the making

TDM

I can't see the fret wear from the pic, but the other two issues would take about 10 minutes to sort out.

Do you have any reason to believe there's a problem with the truss rod? Just looks like a little bit too much relief to me.

Jon.

The truss rod is very tight. I got about a 1/4 of a turn out of it last night before I got too scared and it didn't make much difference to the relief. The wenge/bubinga laminate is very rigid so I'm afraid to tighten the rod any more. since there is a lot of force on it already.

The tops of the frets are wide and flat, which is presumably why (in combination with the nut) it doesn't intonate properly. Also, I'm fairly sure that there isn't normally a gap between the nut and the truss rod cover on all the Warwicks I've seen. I suspect something may have shrunk, which made those parts no longer flush.

Edited by thedonutman

The second fret in the pic labelled fretwear is barely non-existant from what i can tell.

Thats the problem with ebay, you end up spending the money you saved sometimes on a load of hassle to get what you've bought into a useable state.

I bought an amp once, first time it turned on it caught fire.

Luckily i found the funny side beings as i only paid 20 quid for it!

It may need a refret (or just get them crowned?) but truss rods can become tight if they've not been moved in a while, get a pro to set it up, i think that's all it really needs. And the nut is about 1mm away from the end of the fretboard? it's probably just moved a little, as those nuts just come right out. I think you're making a fuss over nothing...

[quote name='budget bassist' post='799023' date='Apr 7 2010, 06:18 PM']It may need a refret (or just get them crowned?) but truss rods can become tight if they've not been moved in a while, get a pro to set it up, i think that's all it really needs. And the nut is about 1mm away from the end of the fretboard? it's probably just moved a little, as those nuts just come right out. I think you're making a fuss over nothing...[/quote]

Regardless of how easy, or not, something is to fix, I think I have every right to complain about inaccurate descriptions from sellers.

Overcomplicated comparison alert :) :

If you bought a Les paul and it turned up with a broken headstock, despite being advertised as "great condition, no headstock breaks" you'd be pretty unhappy wouldn't you? It's not a case of "It'll only cost you £50 to get the headstock glued back on by a luthier", it's a case of you receiving an item that wasn't accurately represented in the listing.

[quote name='thedonutman' post='799032' date='Apr 7 2010, 06:25 PM']Regardless of how easy, or not, something is to fix, I think I have every right to complain about inaccurate descriptions from sellers.

Overcomplicated comparison alert :rolleyes: :

If you bought a Les paul and it turned up with a broken headstock, despite being advertised as "great condition, no headstock breaks" you'd be pretty unhappy wouldn't you? It's not a case of "It'll only cost you £50 to get the headstock glued back on by a luthier", it's a case of you receiving an item that wasn't accurately represented in the listing.[/quote]
True, i would probably send it back and get a refund, depending how bad it was

And what on earth is going on with those strap 'buttons'? :)

They are big eyelet screws, professionally installed by Chandler guitars, apparently. The original recessed straplocks were drilled through and the eyelet screws put in. The bass even came with a pair of carabiners! :)

The Strap buttons can be repaired yourself, take them out, drill the whole, fill wioth cocktail sticks and glue and then let dry, redrill and put your new strap buttons on again.

But otherwise, if the price was good i would just get the repairs done, if its a bass youve always youve now got it and can shower your love and attention on it.

[quote name='thedonutman' post='799032' date='Apr 7 2010, 06:25 PM']Overcomplicated comparison alert :rolleyes: :
If you bought a Les paul and it turned up with a broken headstock, despite being advertised as "great condition, no headstock breaks" you'd be pretty unhappy wouldn't you? It's not a case of "It'll only cost you £50 to get the headstock glued back on by a luthier", it's a case of you receiving an item that wasn't accurately represented in the listing.[/quote]
Yes, true, if an LP advertised as having no headstock breaks turned up with a broken headstock, that would very definitely be 'not as described'. Well, it'd be an out-and-out lie :lol:
But having read the advert (I think I found the right one), it makes no mention of frets or action or neck relief or anything. It could be possible that he just never saw these things as problems... or indeed, had never noticed them at all? OK, so you're right in seeking some form of redress in terms of a refund, but there's no actual misrepresentation in the advert.
I hope all the things can be easily (and relatively cheaply) sorted, because there's a bloody nice bass lurking in there somewhere..! :)

I'm sorry to say, but that looks hideous. It just looks like a very badly abused Thumb that should sadly be skipped. You've been taken for a ride by the seller, which is also unfortunate. Personally, being a Thumb owner and addict myself, I'd just send it back and save up for a better one...

[quote name='Chris2112' post='799073' date='Apr 7 2010, 07:01 PM']I'm sorry to say, but that looks hideous. It just looks like a very badly abused Thumb that [b]should sadly be skipped[/b]. You've been taken for a ride by the seller, which is also unfortunate. Personally, being a Thumb owner and addict myself, I'd just send it back and save up for a better one...[/quote]
You what?! It's not that bad! nothing a redress and setup won't fix!!

[quote name='Rich' post='799072' date='Apr 7 2010, 07:00 PM']Yes, true, if an LP advertised as having no headstock breaks turned up with a broken headstock, that would very definitely be 'not as described'. Well, it'd be an out-and-out lie :rolleyes:
But having read the advert (I think I found the right one), it makes no mention of frets or action or neck relief or anything. It could be possible that he just never saw these things as problems... or indeed, had never noticed them at all? OK, so you're right in seeking some form of redress in terms of a refund, but there's no actual misrepresentation in the advert.
I hope all the things can be easily (and relatively cheaply) sorted, because there's a bloody nice bass lurking in there somewhere..! :)[/quote]

I contacted the seller before buying and he said:

[quote]The bass was made in 2002
The dings, scratches and cracks are ONLY in the paint finish, the bass is very sound.
The frets are in very good condition and the neck is straight.
Yep, the inlay and all LED work was done by Sims, The inlay work is still on their website in their custom gallery.
The eye hole screws were put in by Chandler guitars in Richmond.[/quote]

Edited by thedonutman

[quote name='thedonutman' post='799037' date='Apr 7 2010, 06:34 PM']The bass even came with a pair of carabiners![/quote]

[quote name='chriswilliams666' post='799048' date='Apr 7 2010, 06:44 PM']Eddie Van Halen and Zakk Wylde do it. Then again, they were probably high at the time.[/quote]

You need carabiners when you're high. Standard climbing gear.

[quote name='thedonutman' post='799079' date='Apr 7 2010, 07:04 PM']I contacted the seller before buying and he said:
[i]The bass was made in 2002
The dings, scratches and cracks are ONLY in the paint finish, the bass is very sound.
The frets are in very good condition and the neck is straight.
Yep, the inlay and all LED work was done by Sims, The inlay work is still on their website in their custom gallery.
The eye hole screws were put in by Chandler guitars in Richmond.[/i][/quote]
Ah, well that's different. "[i]The frets are in very good condition and the neck is straight[/i]", yeah right. Straight compared to what?

Realistically, at the end of the day, only you can make the final call.....

If you really are not happy with it, then go for a refund - if you are not overly bothered about getting the work done, then persue the issues with the seller, and try and come to an amicable agreement regarding some sort of recompense.

Ask yourself a few questions and base your next move on the answers -

1. Was the price you paid, really that good.
2. Would the money you saved - with or without additional recompense from the seller - easily cover the cost of repairs....will it still be the bargain you thought
3. Do you think the bass will ever be able to be what you wanted

whatever you decide to do - good luck

if it is a 2002 one the nut's not original.

also my 1991 streamer has similarly shaped frets. I am not sure my old one's frets were different.Maybe my frets are worn too, Maybe they are made more that shape? Ask warwickhunt or someone.