Why become a member? ×

Amp for metal/hardcore

whimsy23

Hey guys, I'm looking to change my rig and need a few ideas and suggestions. Soundwise I'm looking for something similar to [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1coBXXChNpU"]Converge[/url] and [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgZWEAhj3Uo"]Architects[/url]... so heavy, with clarity and overdrive. I'm willing to pay a fair whack to get the right stuff, but I'd also like to be able to try stuff out.

I've been recommended me a Tech21 Landmark head and they sound very nice and along the lines of what I'm looking for. I'm thinking of Mark Bass and Mesa stuff but I think Mesa may be a tad out of my price range. Ideally I'd like to try stuff out, so if anybody could tell me of places that has this stuff to try out, I'm willing to travel (I'm in the East Midlands, so closer the better).

At the moment I'm using an OLP MM (but I'm thinking of getting a Fender Jazz at some point too) and an Ashdown EVOIII 500... it's a bit nice sounding for me, but at least I can hear myself over the loud drummer and even louder guitarist.

I'm fairly new to bass playing really, having been a guitarist for 8 or so years, and I'm a total noob when it comes to equipment and there's so much gear out there, I need a bit of guidance from the experts please :)

I was going to say I used to have an OLP (Traben tb4) which was passive and I ended up getting rid of it as it just wasn't meaty enough. You'd be better off with something Active really. Every active bass I've used has suited my style (Rock/metal) and been able to keep up, but the passive OLP just had nothing to it. Was great for slapping though. lol

Hi Adam, I'm Wil over on P*T.

If you have trouble finding a Landmark it might be worth bunging a Sansamp or pedal in front of your Ashdown to get the grind you want. The VT bass pedals are meant to be pretty sweet.

[quote name='whimsy23' post='793359' date='Apr 1 2010, 02:34 PM']I just sold my sansamp bddi... I tried it with a couple of different amp/bass combinations and I wasn't feeling it at all. I want to avoid using pedals, hence why I'm after a top amp that will do it.[/quote]

If you didn't like the Sansamp sounds, then you wont like the Tech 21 heads.

Converge use an Orange AD200b Mk3 amp, with an Ampeg 810. The bass is normally an American Precision....but Ive seen him with Stingrays.

Architects use Orange cabs and Orange amps/Ampeg amps.

The key is tubes or tube simulation (like Sansamp)

If you ask me....Precision + Orange is perfect for hardcore.

If ou cant stretch to that....Precision and a Sansamp with a Markbass amp, (just because they take the pedal well and are light :) )

Edited by Musicman20

Get a valve amp and drive it hard. P bass optional.

Getting an all valve head is expensive buying new though. A second hand Ampeg Pro hybrid would be pretty good.

Failing that get a tube pedal like the English Muff'n or EBS Valvedrive, or a VT bass type pedal and stick it before the Ashdown. It would do the job and save money.

Like what others have said I would look at maybe getting a new pickup or bass before deciding to spend loads on an amp. You could do far worse than an Evo head.

[quote name='whimsy23' post='793532' date='Apr 1 2010, 05:37 PM']I like the sound of Orange or Ampeg... a bit out of my price range though. Cheaper alternatives?[/quote]

Orange Bass Terror 500? I've seen them go for new at around 350 ish, imposible to find used though. Cab, I don't really like the isobaric cabs, not high enough as I personally want to be shaken to my core, notjust my ankles. I like the OBC 15 but I haven't tried the 4x10 which will probably have the punch needed to cut through. And either cab isn't that expensive.

In my opinion the bass terror is kinda 'fizzy' on the overdrive sue of things but provides enough clean warmth to take an effect pedal well.

You won't go wrong with an Orange, sound or quality wise.

Also you can pickup a used big muff for little to no money, although are noisy as hell if you bass lacks the adequete sheilding. EHX offer a bass aimed fuzz, and a bass fuzz/overdrive although the drive sound is aweful.

Can't get more perfect than a P bass + orange/ampeg really, gotta agree with the people here. A Stingray'd work too. Help us out, what's your price range here?

The Ashdown might not be the issue, IIRC James LoMenzo of Megadeth fame used Ashdown and from the live footage I remember he always used to cut through and sound pretty good. Try some more EQ tweaking and shove a pedal in your line to get a bit more grind?

Glockenklang Heart-Rock. If you're gonna spend money its the way to go. I run passive all the time and it makes no difference IMO. Eq is your friend. If I was you the first thing I would buy is a Mxr M180. The Ashdowns are pretty good for metal with a bit of tweaking.

[quote name='ashevans09' post='794076' date='Apr 2 2010, 10:38 AM']Can't get more perfect than a P bass + orange/ampeg really, gotta agree with the people here. A Stingray'd work too. Help us out, what's your price range here?[/quote]

Not overly sure yet, it depends how much I get for the gear I'm selling to pay for it... but at a guess, about £1k. How much do second hand SVT 3 Pro sell for?

[quote name='whimsy23' post='795089' date='Apr 3 2010, 03:00 PM']Not overly sure yet, it depends how much I get for the gear I'm selling to pay for it... but at a guess, about £1k. How much do second hand SVT 3 Pro sell for?[/quote]

You can pick one up quite cheap.

If you aren't going full tube, I'd suggest a good warm amp like a little mark 3 with a vt bass or sansamp pedal. That way you have a quality amp with good volume and a near on tube dirt sound.

i'd really go for the 100watt selmer treble and bass head over an orange, i'm fairly sure the bassist used them on the recordings for converge or one of those bands, they totally rip when cranked specially if you got a 8X10 to go with it or similar large cab!