Why become a member? ×

1977 Fender Jazz...what are your opinions?

bubinga5

went into this shop earlier and spotted this Fender..its beauty up close.but i didnt play it....What do you think of this 1977 Jazz...im no vintage Jazz expert...i didnt speak to the guys but these are obviously not the original knobs and it says nothing of them in the advert (unless i missed it)

any opinions on this one?

[url="http://www.cranesmusicstore.com/fenderjazzbass1977secondhand-p-1819.html"]http://www.cranesmusicstore.com/fenderjazz...and-p-1819.html[/url]

I love my `77, it is a superb bass. I paid a little more for mine than that one is going for, although that was a year ago and mine hasn't had the controls modded like yours (although neck pickup isn't original on mine). As Beedster said, best to try it out really as they do vary a lot from this era.

I think I can see a not particularly brilliant neck joint , but it might be the photo. Whether that would make it crap or not is in the eye/ear of the beholder but it would give some indication of poor quality control.

The finish looks like that later 70's toffee apple to me too - again it might be the pic.

Trying these things is the only way. If it sounds good and plays well my opinion is it's game on if that's what you're looking for and they'll talk on the price.

As with trying out all late 70's Fenders for the first time - you should wear steel toe-capped footwear just in case.

Ok the guy said they may be 60's knobs..but im not sure... two tone??? the plate is sure old...the neck pocket has a shim down the side..

The frets are flat on top with quite alot of wear..ive got to say it plays beautifuly..stonking tone...what did they do back then that made em sound so good? im going to take the CS in next week and compare...

Ok im confused..this guy wants £2250 for the same yea...looks in better condition though

[url="http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/our-catalogue/Fender/Electric-Basses/item/6740"]http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/o...asses/item/6740[/url]

Yes , it's more 'original' - but V and R are hardly known for bargains.

If there's a shim down the side of the neck pocket on the Crane's bass it seems a reasonable enough deduction that someone thought there to be enough of an issue to have to deal with it.

Frets wear down - name of the game if a bass is played anything like regularly. I'd be more concerned if they weren't.

I'd just go check it out , mate. You'll know in 30 seconds whether you're interested or not and all you'll get from us here is opinion.

Yes you got to try it... I'd prefer to see the original 3 pot control layout on a 70s Jazzer... those stacked knobs would look great on my 62 though.

If it plays nice and feels okay then It might be for you, a tad overpriced I'll say. I'll bet it weighs a bit too.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='793558' date='Apr 1 2010, 06:06 PM']This is what im after though your amazing knowledge!! :) i did like it, but there is stuff i dont know about vintage jazzers that you might be able to point out....thanks[/quote]

Two things.

Only you know whether or not you like this vintage bass enough to be interested in buying it - we know exactly zero about what you like the feel and sound of.

If you want to know about vintage Fenders in terms of whether or not they're a good investment there are far wiser men round here than I but I'm inclined to endorse Beedsters earlier comment.

The value of any used instrument remains as it has always been - it's worth exactly , to the penny , what someone else is prepared to pay for it.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='793561' date='Apr 1 2010, 06:10 PM']Two things.

Only you know whether or not you like this vintage bass enough to be interested in buying it - we know exactly zero about what you like the feel and sound of.

If you want to know about vintage Fenders in terms of whether or not they're a good investment there are far wiser men round here than I but I'm inclined to endorse Beedsters earlier comment.

The value of any used instrument remains as it has always been - it's worth exactly , to the penny , what someone else is prepared to pay for it.[/quote]ok thanks for the advise Dave..you have made me really think about the bass, and i have doubts..so that is enough for me

I paid about £1,450 for my '78 (imported from the USA).

It has non-original pickups (fitted with Jason Lollars which I really like) and a re-fin in a nitro blue metallic. The finish looks great from a distance of 2-3 feet or more but up close you can see some flaws in the wood through the nitro. Neck pocket isn't great but it plays well & sounds very nice. I think all the pots and other hardware are original and came with original case.

It's currently at the Gallery where Martin has stoned the frets & giving it a decent set up. Really looking forward to getting it back :)

Anyway - just giving the details as an idea of relative prices. Mine was pretty fair price in the US but obviously shipping & duties have added a bit to the price. I was happy to pay this much because I loved the colour, lol. It had also been previously owned by a TB guy who seems to really know his stuff and he claimed it was a good player.

To be honest I'm quite surprised that recognised dealer is selling as low as £1,199. I don't think I've seen a genuine late '70's at that sort of price in a dealer for a long time. I may just be an old sceptic but it sounds to me like they know it needs some work and/or there are more non-original parts than just the vol & tone controls?

[quote name='molan' post='793573' date='Apr 1 2010, 06:23 PM'].
To be honest I'm quite surprised that recognised dealer is selling as low as £1,199. I don't think I've seen a genuine late '70's at that sort of price in a dealer for a long time. I may just be an old sceptic but it sounds to me like they know it needs some work and/or there are more non-original parts than just the vol & tone controls?[/quote]

+1

Just to add to the above, I bought my 77 as a player, not as an investment. That's one thing I like about 70`s Fenders, they're not unattainable price wise - in fact mine cost less than a new 70`s reissue! I like that I can take it out and gig it regularly and not worry too much about it. For me, the tone of a good 70`s Jazz is hard to beat, mine has clarity and punch for days... I also had a stunning `76 P that I wish I hadn't sold.

I recently bought a 74 jazz bass off the forum and I was a bit worried about what I was buying but some good advice on this forum gave me the confidence to buy it and I am sure glad that I did as I love it!

The annoying thing is that my fellow band mates prefer the sound of this old jazz to the GB Rumour that I bought last year which cost twice as much!!

[quote name='Mokl' post='793666' date='Apr 1 2010, 07:51 PM']Just to add to the above, I bought my 77 as a player, not as an investment. That's one thing I like about 70`s Fenders, they're not unattainable price wise - in fact mine cost less than a new 70`s reissue! I like that I can take it out and gig it regularly and not worry too much about it. For me, the tone of a good 70`s Jazz is hard to beat, mine has clarity and punch for days... I also had a stunning `76 P that I wish I hadn't sold.[/quote]

[quote name='molan' post='793783' date='Apr 1 2010, 10:04 PM']Forgot to say Bub5,

When I pick up my '78 you're more than welcome to try it out or borrow it for a bit :)[/quote]
well thanks Barrie thats real cool of you...give me a shout...was good talking to you last time about all things bass...ive deff got gas for a vintage now....

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='793750' date='Apr 1 2010, 09:28 PM']I recently bought a 74 jazz bass off the forum and I was a bit worried about what I was buying but some good advice on this forum gave me the confidence to buy it and I am sure glad that I did as I love it!

The annoying thing is that my fellow band mates prefer the sound of this old jazz to the GB Rumour that I bought last year which cost twice as much!![/quote]oh man thats good but bad...GF what do you prefer playing.....and what bass is best to your ear...i have played all the basses ive owned to my dad..he says he likes the Jazz the best...its funny the way an untrained ear (well bass anyway) likes the sound of a Fender so much...

I used to have a 77. Not a bad bass as such, but the routing templates they used at that point were seriously worn, so neck pockets and even pickup routes were sloppy and that bridge is just junk, no other word for it and these are things which are consistent on the "good" ones and "bad" ones. Regardless of them being hit and miss and the absurd prices you see them selling for, they are cheaply made basses, no doubt about it. It's easy to get caught up in the "mojo" or whatever you want to call it and convince yourself that a piece of crap has 30+ years of magic so I [i]must[/i] be good, you might even get something which has been made into a great (albeit heavy) bass, but were I spending the money again I would look at something else. There are so many genuinely superb J basses available for that kind of money which merely lack 30 years worth of kudos but are so much better built. My advice whenever it comes to these basses is buy a good bass, not just an old bass.

Oh that is a hard one to answer! They are both completely different beasts!!

The jazz is lovely to play it has a really fast neck and the tone just seems to cut through the mix - I play a lot of groove/funk stuff and the finger style and slap tones from the jazz just really work for this music.

Having said that the GB plays like a dream is capable of so many more sounds - if you flick on the 'slap' switch you get an unbeleivable hi-fi sound that oozes quality. To my ear the GB sounds much more like a pro players bass tone and it works great in the studio but live I would probably have to say that the jazz edges it!

One other weird thing is that so far only one person at a gig has commented on the GB but so many people ask about the jazz and it's year etc it just makes me laugh!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='793921' date='Apr 2 2010, 12:22 AM']oh man thats good but bad...GF what do you prefer playing.....and what bass is best to your ear...i have played all the basses ive owned to my dad..he says he likes the Jazz the best...its funny the way an untrained ear (well bass anyway) likes the sound of a Fender so much...[/quote]

I recently purchased a 77 Jazz from Ari on this forum and I absolutely love it. It's been modified in that its had a refret in 2003, an AC preamp fitted and its been corrected for neck movement in the pocket which can be a problem on the 3 bolt fenders.
It plays and sounds amazing. I would liken it to a Celinder Update in terms of playability and tone.
The one you are looking at seems a decent price on the whole depending on how it sounds and plays!!

Steve

Oh .....ive been offered this in a straight trade......what do you think?? i will be visiting them to play it of course...

[url="http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/our-catalogue/Fender/Electric-Basses/item/6740"]http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/o...asses/item/6740[/url]

Edited by bubinga5