Why become a member? ×

Opinions On Musicman Bongos

splat1969

[quote name='Matt42uk' post='790555' date='Mar 30 2010, 01:25 PM']Fantasic instrument....looks are a personal thing, but sounds are amazing....the 4 band eq is dead powerful. It so happends i have an immaculate one for sale...if you're interested![/quote]

I have seen your bongo mate and I absolutely love the thing!! My only problem like most others is I don't have £850 lying around.My only option to buy one is the 0% finance facility from the bass centre. Good luck with the sale.It really seems like one hell of alot of bass guitar for the money!!!!!!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='790567' date='Mar 30 2010, 01:39 PM']There is a certain magic hidden in a Bongo bass, soundwise it is a killer bass. The secret is in the combination of the wood used for the body which is Basswood and the 18 Volts 4 band EQ preamp plus the Neodymium pickups. The results of all these factors makes it a bass which is difficult to fault, in both sound and playability. Definately one of the best bass of the Ernie Ball range, I repeat one of the best, not the best. Personally I thought it was THE best until I bought their 25th Anniversary HSS.

The Bongo's neck is another secret weapon which is unique to the Ernie Ball range, in fact this is the only EB bass with 24 frets and a radius unique to this bass that makes it so incredibly comfortable to play that every time you picked it up after having played a different bass, you can't help go: "Oh yeah!"

As mentioned the pickups are the powehouse that makes this bass break through through the muddies of band mixes. Neodymium is a new very powerful magnet, also used in new amp speakers. Very responsive and in this bass they work wonderfully.

FACT: Not everyone is fond of it's shape and headstock - BUT - everyone who I know has tried one has ended up buying it or live a life of misery and GAS withering illness.

Here's mine:

[/quote]

WOW!!!!! you seem to be using the same combo as me so I think your taste in gear is second to none!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Duarte' post='790884' date='Mar 30 2010, 06:12 PM']

OTPJ, you called?

Yes, Bongos are the best. Soundwise, incredible. They DO have character, but it's not aStingRay charactrer, it's a Bongo character. They are VERY distinctive in the way they sound (and of course look!) In pictures you may think they look a bit silly, but in person it is oh so right. The curves are quite beautiful, I sometimes find myself running my fingers along the wierd flat bits that feel so smooth, connecting the front and sides of the body in one lush sweep...to me other basses just feel and look like a fat old lump of boring wood. "Here you go, a big bit of wood" is what I imagine the manufacturers saying...The Bongo is sweet. So sweet it's unbelievable. The knobs, yeah there's a lot. But they are self explanatory...a few bands of EQ, volume, pickup pan...easy. Or piezo aswell if you have that option (like me) Vast array of wonderful, wonderful tones.

thisnameistaken...can you honestly say that Mr Sargent in this video looks 'stupid'?[/quote]

OMG!!!!!! I am so jealous of you mate!!!! How do you decide which one to play!!!!

This is one bass i have always been meaning to try....i must admit to not being that keen on its shape,but if and when i do try one, if i really like how it sounds...then the shape and how it looks to the audience would be of no concern for me,..they would be so impressed with my playing :)

Duarte's blue one..i would be happy with that..nice

I am on my 3rd Bongo. It is a love hate thing really. The sound is big and it looks funky. However it is slightly heavy for me, when I sit down to play the bottom horn digs into my leg in a nasty way and the 34" scale does not quite do it for me on the B string. If I could gut one and put the electrics into my MTD Heir then I would probably be GAS free for a long time. It is teetering on the edge of being moved, but then nothing else sounds the same.

[quote name='cgordonfreeman' post='791477' date='Mar 31 2010, 05:04 AM']Could be wrong but I think the distance from the neck to the neck pickup on both the HS and HH is the same. Personally I find my HH a bit tricky to slap on but after a bit of practice it's cool.[/quote]

Ah, right. In that case...go HH.

I didn't ever really struggle with my Bongo - quite the opposite, it tightened my technique back up . I miss the sounds soo much too.

It just didn't fit in with the bands look (guh...), and i needed the money at the time. I got it for my 21st Birthday in 2005, so i was gutted to see it go.
Thing is, i had it in it's case for a good portion of the last year i owned it, and to have such a fantastic instrument 'on hold' all the time was too hard to justify. So that and the 3eq/Piezo Stingray went on here. Both mega basses, and bothe out being played now - makes me happy.

Trav

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='791338' date='Mar 30 2010, 11:29 PM']Thanks, Duarte - Well put point of view from an owner!

Yes, I still want to give one of these a go at some point. I think they look fantastic and they have a great reputation, too.[/quote]

Well I've got a couple milling around here, you could borrow one if you would like?

My old 4 string Bongo was featherweight. Really light. but the 5ers are on the heavey side, as they really are quite massive basses. I don't mind the weight though, never bothers me (as of yet)

My 4 string Bongo had a chip in the headstock, but my 5ers don't and they have much longer headstocks. It may just be a matter of time. But if you're careful about where you point it, it should be fine! Maybe because it's a pointy shape with paint and satin finish it's not quite as durable as the body finish, and much more visible than if was a chip on a natural headstock.

[quote name='Duarte' post='792395' date='Mar 31 2010, 08:16 PM']My old 4 string Bongo was featherweight. Really light. but the 5ers are on the heavey side, as they really are quite massive basses. I don't mind the weight though, never bothers me (as of yet).[/quote]

It's only 4's I'm interested in but as yet I've not seen one that is under 9.5lb! The physical dimensions of the 4 string Bongo aren't massive, are they... they look smaller then Sterlings or is that a misconception of mine?

[quote name='dougal' post='791361' date='Mar 30 2010, 11:50 PM']Am I the only one that thinks they look better in a 5 or 6 than a 4?

I sold my 5. I can't remember why: all this has made me rather nostalgic.

They're great basses, with the afore-mentioned caveat that they'll get a chip on the headstock. I'm still waiting for the ad in the for sale section that says "for sale, bongo, unique, no chip on headstock".

Gone the way of the warrior...:
[/quote]

Agreed!

Can't remember where i read it, but they were designed as 5 strings i believe

Really love the Bongo! 100% real shame its no longer available in all the slick and funky colours! I wish i could get a 5/6 HH in Orange (orange swirl p/g) and a 6 H/H or H/S or H (haha preferably all three) in Electric blue with blue swirl P/G.

Played a Purple 4 string in Edinburgh, didn't like the neck but the 5/6 are really pretty amazing

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='792399' date='Mar 31 2010, 08:19 PM']Played a Purple 4 string in Edinburgh, didn't like the neck but the 5/6 are really pretty amazing[/quote]
That's interesting, I always considered the Bongo 4 neck to be the ultimate. I do much prefer it to the 5 string ones...but I'm pretty new to 5 strings really. I also agree that it looks much better proportioned in 5 and 6 srings :)

[quote name='dougal' post='791361' date='Mar 30 2010, 11:50 PM']Am I the only one that thinks they look better in a 5 or 6 than a 4?

I sold my 5. I can't remember why: all this has made me rather nostalgic.

They're great basses, with the afore-mentioned caveat that they'll get a chip on the headstock. I'm still waiting for the ad in the for sale section that says "for sale, bongo, unique, no chip on headstock".

Gone the way of the warrior...:
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure I have your Bongo 5 these days. It came to me in a trade deal with bigwan for a 4HH also sapphire black with moonstone PG.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='792372' date='Mar 31 2010, 08:01 PM']1) Why should the Bongo headstock suffer damage/knocks/dings more than any other 'headed' bass... or is that just a fallacy? :)[/quote]

It's the shape. You see that 90 degree bit at the tip, and 90 degree bit underneath it?

It's a beautiful curve that echoes the top horn of the body. And apparently is a weak spot for paint.

I'm sure pointy headed Jacksons suffer from the same thing: there's a *thud*, you've just got too personal with the drum kit. Chip in headstock!

Q.E.D.

Or something.

Edited by dougal

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='792570' date='Mar 31 2010, 10:15 PM']I'm pretty sure I have your Bongo 5 these days. It came to me in a trade deal with bigwan for a 4HH also sapphire black with moonstone PG.[/quote]

This is probably the tell-tale if it is or not:

Gorgeous bass. Bought in Ishibashi in Japan. It might even have the original receipt with it?

[quote name='dougal' post='792663' date='Mar 31 2010, 11:01 PM']It's the shape. You see that 90 degree bit at the tip, and 90 degree bit underneath it?

It's a beautiful curve that echoes the top horn of the body. And apparently is a weak spot for paint.

I'm sure pointy headed Jacksons suffer from the same thing: there's a *thud*, you've just got too personal with the drum kit. Chip in headstock!

Q.E.D.

Or something.[/quote]

I hear what you are saying but surely ANY headstock regardless of outline shape will connect with offending drum hardware and come off with a ding? Not arguing I just think that Bongos seem to get bad press for it when in fact I've yet to see a Lakland DJ without a chip out the headstock! :) I blame it on painted finishes... say what you like about Warwicks but at least the same dings don't look half as bad on a natural finish. :rolleyes:

The headstock ding thing is not always a ding, but because of the real pointy bit, it wears very quickly in a gig bag.

On a related note what are other Bongo owners using as gig bags. My normal bag is a Wood&Tronics one but with strap locks on it is a REALLY tight fit and the bottom strap button seems to stick out and be really thuddy when I put on a hard floor.

[quote name='owen' post='792714' date='Mar 31 2010, 11:28 PM']The headstock ding thing is not always a ding, but because of the real pointy bit, it wears very quickly in a gig bag.

On a related note what are other Bongo owners using as gig bags. My normal bag is a Wood&Tronics one but with strap locks on it is a REALLY tight fit and the bottom strap button seems to stick out and be really thuddy when I put on a hard floor.[/quote]

This one made by Tribal Planet, it's got plenty of pocket space and even a stand on the back of the rear zipper to hold it upright.

[quote name='owen' post='792714' date='Mar 31 2010, 11:28 PM']The headstock ding thing is not always a ding, but because of the real pointy bit, it wears very quickly in a gig bag.[/quote]

I hadn't considered that...

I agree it's something to do with the headstock shape: the fact it combines not only a 90 degree front on, but also a point (knife edge?) as you look at the underside.

I don't have a photo to illustrate my point, and I'm making up words and sounding like a bad Vic Reeves impressionist. It may be safe to back away slowly making no sudden movements.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='792773' date='Apr 1 2010, 12:10 AM']This one made by Tribal Planet, it's got plenty of pocket space and even a stand on the back of the rear zipper to hold it upright.[/quote]

I've got one of those gigbags... I now have to buy a Bongo to fit in it! :)