Why become a member? ×

Gig confirmed, been asked to supply backline, is my amp up to the job?

Sarah5string

No one wants to come across like an infant and say it's mine and you cant play with it but having had a rig die when someone else was using it and then having to wait weeks and weeks on parts and repair ( I ended up getting a full refund as it was a dodgy bit of kit.....) but if that happened ata gig Who would have reimbursed me had I not been covered by warranty? The promoter? the bands? Even with the warranty cover I was without gear for a couple of months.

Im sure we all have horror stories and some nice ones too from when we have loaned gear be it blown speakers or compliments on a great rig but its better not to get burned.

I really like my rig and I think it sounds great :) Its taken me ages to find the pre amp and some buying and trading to find it. I'd be gutted if it died on me. Now don't get me wrong I've loaned it to a mate for some decent gigs but no way will it ever be the house rig for a randon gig night without the assurance that Im getting paid for its hire or if it dies.

Bottom line is if my rig dies I dont get to do something I really enjoy and thats play gigs.

Good luck with your new amp whatever you buy :rolleyes:

Edited by krispn

I would say that your budget would more than cover a more powerful rig if you buy second hand. I picked up a Trace 1524 2x15" last weekend for £95 and used it at Friday's gig - one of the best cabs I've ever played through.

I would say one big question that hasn't been asked yet is that will it always be you lifting the rig or will you have help? I am in no way being sexist but it will be a factor when choosing gear. My 4x12" weighs 40kg and the 2x15" must be around the same

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='788617' date='Mar 28 2010, 03:25 PM']Email back from the promoter, venue still has full PA so it'd be amps and drums in case the other bands didn't bring their own.[/quote]

Say you have a smallish amp and could you use one from the other bands :)

Any 1/2 decent combo or 1/2 stack should do & there's plenty in your price range.
Ashdown do a 4x10 combo which weighs in at 4 tonnes but you would rarely need PA for that.
A recent gig we done, the other band brung their own backline & the bassist had an OLP going into a Warwick 1x12 combo & sounded fine & pretty loud for the size & they can be gotten for 2 bags of dry roasted.

Have a look at some gear & then post what takes your eye & we'll offer advice.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='788438' date='Mar 28 2010, 12:15 PM']Varsity, Wolverhampton :)[/quote]

You could try speaking to Dave Donovan at Donovan's in Amblecote?
Can't guarantee he'll have an amp to hire, but this time last year he had a half-stack Hiwatt 200, ex-Noddy Holder of Slade (before your time) that would have done the job. But he's a really helpful guy & if he can help he will.

Just one thought that crosses my mind is that depending on how soon you can get a new amp; you'll be going some to get new speakers "run in" before your gig, so if you loan out the use of it you may end up with a damaged speaker or two if someone clogs it. I'd deffo go for a hired amp for this one.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='788617' date='Mar 28 2010, 04:25 PM']Email back from the promoter, venue still has full PA so it'd be amps and drums in case the other bands didn't bring their own.[/quote]

I take it they've said the same to the other bands too? (To bring their own?)

Guest johnzgerman

just tell the promoter that you only have a very small practice amp and it would not be suitable for gigging. dont go wasting your money hiring anything either, as it is ultimatly the promoters responsibility to hire extra backline if it is required, he is already avoiding this cost by asking bands to share your gear as i assume your not getting paid for the hire.

[quote name='johnzgerman' post='788742' date='Mar 28 2010, 06:03 PM']just tell the promoter that you only have a very small practice amp and it would not be suitable for gigging. dont go wasting your money hiring anything either, as it is ultimatly the promoters responsibility to hire extra backline if it is required, he is already avoiding this cost by asking bands to share your gear as i assume your not getting paid for the hire.[/quote]

Squse me but when is it the promotor's responsible for providing backline?

Edited by OldGit

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='OldGit' post='788859' date='Mar 28 2010, 08:48 PM']Squse me but when is it the promotor's responsible for providing backline?[/quote]

usually when its a gig with a few bands on the bill, they tend to get one of the bands to supply their gear so they avoid having 4 or more bands worth of gear in the venue and also make changeovers much quicker. in these situations it is the promoters responsibility to ensure that the gear supplied is suitable for all the bands that are playing. most festivals supply a hired house backline for all but the headlining band, again to reduce changeover time etc. the promoter always pays for said hired backline.

granted, if its just a couple of bands its not really the pomoters problem.

[quote name='johnzgerman' post='788872' date='Mar 28 2010, 08:00 PM']usually when its a gig with a few bands on the bill, they tend to get one of the bands to supply their gear so they avoid having 4 or more bands worth of gear in the venue and also make changeovers much quicker. in these situations it is the promoters responsibility to ensure that the gear supplied is suitable for all the bands that are playing. most festivals supply a hired house backline for all but the headlining band, again to reduce changeover time etc. the promoter always pays for said hired backline.

granted, if its just a couple of bands its not really the pomoters problem.[/quote]

OK.

I'm quite surprised about some peoples' views on this.

I did say in another thread that I wouldn't let people use my new amp because it was new. I ended up not being that bothered when it came to the crunch though and the only reason I didn't think I'd want people to use it was because it was new.

I'm guessing there's some people on here that're either in huge bands that only plays large dedicated venues or they're in function bands who're the only bands playing most of their gigs. There's NO WAY that 3+ bands worth of gear will fit off stage in a lot of pub back rooms. It's very often crowded with just instruments/cymbals in whatever cupboard is the storage area, never mind several amps too.

For bigger venues, it's not such a problem, it doesn't take long if everyone in the band works together to move gear, but it's worth remembering that not everyone's at that stage.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='788892' date='Mar 28 2010, 09:16 PM']I'm guessing there's some people on here that're either in huge bands that only plays large dedicated venues or they're in function bands who're the only bands playing most of their gigs.[/quote]

I think this is true, we played Night & Day in Manc on Wednesday and the headlining band provided their drums and bass amp (dispite my reservations and wanting to take mine anyway).

So when I got there to see this tiny, crap Marshall combo -- I sighed.

When I asked if I could changed the settings and he refused -- I sighed.

If you're going to provide amps, you have to be prepared to let other change the settings to their bass and playing.

I was more than happy to provide mine that night and was told "No, no no and no"

I have little tip-ex markers in place so I know what settings I have which means others can change the EQ for multiband nights.

Result? I sounded sh*te.

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='Rosh' post='788930' date='Mar 28 2010, 10:03 PM']I think this is true, we played Night & Day in Manc on Wednesday and the headlining band provided their drums and bass amp (dispite my reservations and wanting to take mine anyway).

So when I got there to see this tiny, crap Marshall combo -- I sighed.

When I asked if I could changed the settings and he refused -- I sighed.

If you're going to provide amps, you have to be prepared to let other change the settings to their bass and playing.

I was more than happy to provide mine that night and was told "No, no no and no"

I have little tip-ex markers in place so I know what settings I have which means others can change the EQ for multiband nights.

Result? I sounded sh*te.[/quote]
funnily enough ive seen 4 bands worth of gear at side of stage in night and day-minus drum shells but still all the hardware...i also had my monitor desk just by the pillar (it was only a 16 channel LS9).

[quote name='skampino' post='788936' date='Mar 28 2010, 10:14 PM']Allowed another band to use our gear once - never again!
They were a punk support band who on their closing song produced water blasters and proceeded to squirt everyone and everything.[/quote]
:):O:O

[quote name='skampino' post='788936' date='Mar 28 2010, 10:14 PM']Allowed another band to use our gear once - never again!
They were a punk support band who on their closing song produced water blasters and proceeded to squirt everyone and everything.[/quote]

WTF ?? I hope you pointed out to the landlord that his insurance almost certainly doesn't cover people dousing electrical gear in water... then proceeded to kick their arses up and down the length of the place ?