Why become a member? ×

thinking of getting a marshall amp, advice.

gub

Seen a MARSHALL Bass Amplifier its a Combo MB44410 and could do with some advice ,i am looking for a nice punchy sound sort of stranglers sound but also do a bit of slap sometimes ,so was wondering if this would be a good choice? any advice welcome.

I have the MB4210 and I've been really pleased with it, capable of some great tones. The modern channel is great for slap tones, and the classic has a real grind to it. Be aware the classic channel is quieter than the modern channel, but you can compensate by using the blend facility.

I did try the MB4410 (it's enormous!) but decided the 4210 was more than sufficient for rehearsals, and just bought the 1x15 extension cab to add at gigs.

I know another person on this forum has had reliability issues with theirs, but I haven't had any problems so far (nearly two years).

Final thought: Love mine, but try before you buy because everybody's different.

I work in a shop that sells tons of the Marshall MB stuff. They are seriously good for the money. But i would say the same as LeonShelley01, that the 4410 is stupidly big and heavy. Go down the 4210 and MBC115 route for sure, as you could get away with the combo only at most gigs.

[quote name='leonshelley01' post='788218' date='Mar 27 2010, 09:20 PM']I have the MB4210 and I've been really pleased with it, capable of some great tones. The modern channel is great for slap tones, and the classic has a real grind to it. Be aware the classic channel is quieter than the modern channel, but you can compensate by using the blend facility.

I did try the MB4410 (it's enormous!) but decided the 4210 was more than sufficient for rehearsals, and just bought the 1x15 extension cab to add at gigs.

I know another person on this forum has had reliability issues with theirs, but I haven't had any problems so far (nearly two years).

Final thought: Love mine, but try before you buy because everybody's different.[/quote]

cheers for all the advice guys its been a long time since i was looking for gear and my last gigging amp was a trace elliot back in the mark king days ,late 80s . mmm wonder where that is now! was always pleased with it then. :)

Exactly the same as the guys above, the 4x10" combo is insanely big and heavy. I'm a (really) big strong guy and I baulked at the thought of shifting that bugger on a regular basis. The 2x10 plus a 1x15 really rocks, or perhaps get the seperate head and a 4x10 cab if you're so inclined.
Your profile doesn't say where in the country you are - if you're near Southampton you're welcome to come have a blast on mine.

I've got no love for Marshall these days. It was different in the 70's!! But if that's what you want, fine.

But, I would get a head and a cab, and another cab later if you find you need one, rather than a combo. If you're getting back into playing after a lay off then you could be at the start of some chopping and changing. You'll find upgrading easier with separates. Good luck.