Why become a member? ×

how much does a decent bass cost?

FunkyFinger

Thanks for the help everyone. I did try googling a number of different terms but the main problem is that most every guitar shop has a few token basses but very few have large selections so it turns into a massive trawl through every guitar shop google spits out. electro music in doncaster will be my first stop thanks CasaPete.

OldGit, Unfortunately I only read the Yorkshire bassbash post the day before and I was already booked for the day, next years? will be in the diary straight away though. BassDirect does look very good and it would allow me to try the lightwave basses out as I can't seem to find another uk supplier.

I paid around £300.00 for my Westone Thunder three. Through neck, low action, fast as you like.

The electrics could be better, but that's easily solved at not too much cost. A little on the heavy side, but one helluva lot of bass for the money

I've lost count of the amount of basses I've sold in the past that didn't cost that much, were basically very good intruments but flawed in some minor way. If only I knew then what I know now.....

T

Ok so lots of people got wonderful bargains, unfortunately these seem to turn up just before and after you really need to buy.

For your original question, you should allow £800- 1000 for a decent bass.

You can get them for less but if you have that much you will be able to buy yourself a decent bass that you want.

For this Jaydee will make one for you and it will be uniquely yours, you can get a Musicman Stingray (as opposed to the cheaper versions, fairly decent but not a Stingray) which will satisfy your spec. From each of these you should get change from your sum (esp if the Stingray is 2nd-hand). You should also afford most of the other suggestions too.

Keep hold of what you want (even if that changes) and look out for the bargains and you might be able to get what you want before saving £800. However, don't buy what you don't really want, regardless of price.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='787727' date='Mar 27 2010, 11:14 AM']For your original question, you should allow £800- 1000 for a decent bass.

For this Jaydee will make one for you and it will be uniquely yours[/quote]

Unfortunately for the past few years he's had a constant 18 month waiting list :)

I was in Edinburgh a few weeks ago & a junk shop there had a few basses including a MusicMan at £400, I don't think he knew what he had. There was also an unpriced mid 70's EB3, but they only look good in cherry IMHO.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='787935' date='Mar 27 2010, 04:38 PM']Unfortunately for the past few years he's had a constant 18 month waiting list :)

I was in Edinburgh a few weeks ago & a junk shop there had a few basses including a MusicMan at £400, I don't think he knew what he had. There was also an unpriced mid 70's EB3, but they only look good in cherry IMHO.[/quote]

Wow, whats the name of the shop?

[quote name='4 Strings' post='788764' date='Mar 28 2010, 07:25 PM']Wow, whats the name of the shop?[/quote]

Took the words right outta ma mouth!!

I know of a pawn shop on Queen Street which is hugely expensive, with the result that gear sits there for years! There's a lovely old sunburst Rick, but they are asking over £1300 for it... in a pawn shop!! :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='785320' date='Mar 25 2010, 12:13 AM']At the end of the day it's not about cost. It's about the instrument that fits you best and makes the sound/sounds you want. For some that will be a £300 Squier Classic Vibe model and for others it will be an £5-8000 Alembic or Fodera.

If you have full blown GAS, get out to the bigger bass shops and try as many as you can until you reach your own personal nirvana. :)[/quote]

+1. A "decent" bass is simply one that works for you, which could prove to be absolutely anything.

[quote name='4000' post='788793' date='Mar 28 2010, 07:49 PM']+1. A "decent" bass is simply one that works for you, which could prove to be absolutely anything.[/quote]

Of course, but the chap asked how much for one. Can't tell him £100 because the vast majority for sale at that price are not going to be 'decent'. As I said, there are bargains around, but if he allows for £800-1000 he should get a decent bass that he wants. If, in the meantime, he finds one he wants for less, then he's saved himself some money. Don't need to spend £3k+ for a decent bass, not likely to get one for £30, but also not to 'save' money by buying one that he doesn't really want.

Only other comment would be to try and buy from a shop rather than on-line. It'll be a sad day when the last bass selling shop closes.

Edited by 4 Strings