Why become a member? ×

level 42 people...how to get the sound...

marcus bell

hi people, just been listening to standing in the light album by level 42 and whilst listening to the song people there is a middle solo bass section where mark king plays the jaydee fingerstyle with effects, how do i get this tone? e.g .what effect is it??

thanks
marcus
x

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWQ0NLKb0fA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWQ0NLKb0fA[/url]

Possibly a bit of very-subtle envelope filter too? Bit of distortion? It's an odd sound....

Whenever he plays this type of fingerstyle, he wears his Stanley Clarke influences on his sleeve for all to see (and hear!).

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' post='784826' date='Mar 24 2010, 04:02 PM']Possibly a bit of very-subtle envelope filter too? Bit of distortion? It's an odd sound....

Whenever he plays this type of fingerstyle, he wears his Stanley Clarke influences on his sleeve for all to see (and hear!).[/quote]

Yeah

For an example of Stanley's version check out "Someone to come home to" by Animal Logic

B

Edited by Sonic_Groove

From what I can remember (it's a LONG time since I listened to that) it's a sort of slow flanging/chorus effect, isn't it?
He used to use a Yamaha 1010 analogue delay that had a modulation circuit for processing.
He also used to add a very fast delay (about 30ms) to his sound.

• 1 month later...

I've recently discovered that a fixed filter effect is the key to dialing in a 'doctored' bass sound that you can't get from tweaking a 7-band EQ all day and fighting to get the same sound. :rolleyes: I own a Carvin Redline 1000 bass head and it has a filter shaping secondary EQ that really helps sculpt the sound once you've spent about a month trying to figure out that particular amp in question. A Hartke Hydrive has a similar feature on those amps as well. :) You could easily dial in Mark King's bass solo sound for 'People" along with a phaser or flanger on the slowest sweep speed. What makes his bass sound 'distorted' is when the filter is on a frequency that exceeds the input level of the amp. He may have just went straight into the mixing board in the studio since he had a D.I. jack on his Jaydee and maybe Wally Baradou worked his magic with the mixer board.

Edited by Mowac

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='840711' date='May 18 2010, 12:05 PM']Do you know I've actually given up chocolate hob-nobs because I've put on two stone since I quit smoking. It's a miserable life as an ex-smoker. :)[/quote]

Dont wory after 12 or 15 years you barely crave a smoke at all.