Why become a member? ×

Esperanza kills it on bass guitar..and sings

urb

Don't know about the rest of you but this young lady makes me feel well - pretty useless on the playing and singing and well, looks front as well - I don't like everything she's done but hell the girl is awesome here...

and here on a J bass... ouch - and singing a Wayne Shorter head to boot...

Enjoy

M

This is probably going to get me flamed into submission, but it strikes me in general that there are 2 kinds of bassist. Bassists who play bass and only kind of dabble in a bit of guitar/keys/drums or whatever (people who are exclusively bassists if you like) and also people who can play any instrument they turn their hands to and bass is one of those. The multi players seems to sing without too much hassle, but the bass exclusivists have a lot of trouble singing and playing. I cannot even smile and play at the same time let alone sing so you can guess which camp I am in. I am not saying either camp are better than the other - I would pay good money to play like Esperanza or Meshell, but I have come to the conclusion that my skill will never shine on that side of things. I am cool with this.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='782078' date='Mar 21 2010, 08:38 PM']How on earth has she learned to sing and play such complicated timing on both bass and vocals with such control?[/quote]

[quote name='owen' post='782138' date='Mar 21 2010, 09:37 PM']This is probably going to get me flamed into submission, but it strikes me in general that there are 2 kinds of bassist. Bassists who play bass and only kind of dabble in a bit of guitar/keys/drums or whatever (people who are exclusively bassists if you like) and also people who can play any instrument they turn their hands to and bass is one of those. The multi players seems to sing without too much hassle, but the bass exclusivists have a lot of trouble singing and playing.[/quote]

I don't fit into that at all. I basically only play bass, rarely even pick up a guitar never mind anything else, and I've always sung in some capacity in all the bands I've ever done. In fact I'd probably get bored if I wasn't singing too, I enjoy the singing as much as the bass playing.

Then there's the next category of course, those of us who only play bass and that's it.
If my memory serves me right I think I know 3 chords on the guitar. So I'd be limited to some punk and a Status Quo tribute act.
Other than that it's bass bass bass. (And I'm not very good at bass either). :)

She somehow doesn't do the trick for me..

Anyway, singing and playing 'odd' rhythm is not a rocket science at all, I think - it's all about rhytmic coordination - just like playing drums.

And, why does she look to the fingerboard so much? Does she play fretless?

[quote name='Faithless' post='782371' date='Mar 22 2010, 08:49 AM']And, why does she look to the fingerboard so much? Does she play fretless?[/quote]

Every time I've seen her before, she's been playing a double bass so that might explain it.

[quote name='Faithless' post='782421' date='Mar 22 2010, 10:38 AM']I know, that she's a DBer, but, I'm talking about electric basses.. If I'm correct, that Jazz is fretted..?[/quote]

I think it's a fretless actually it just has fat lines on the board, she's using flatwounds so it's a bit clicky, and probably feels a little like a DB. Re your earlier comments about singing and playing while I agree anyone could train themselves to do it a her level, she does make it look easy, and at the end of the second clip you see all the cameras and packed studio audience - not sure I could do that in such an intense environment and on cue... but then you might :)

I know the vocalese thing can be hard to love but I think she's a great talent and is only just finding her direction, and I think she's still only 24 or 25 - I interviewed her three or four years ago she's a cool gal in person.

M

[quote name='Faithless' post='782371' date='Mar 22 2010, 08:49 AM']Anyway, singing and playing 'odd' rhythm is not a rocket science at all, I think - it's all about rhytmic coordination - just like playing drums.[/quote]

Playing bass isn't exactly rocket science either :).

Some can play, some can't, some can play well some can't, some bassists are truly great, many aren't. My point being whilst she isn't 100% my cup of tea musically speaking, she's definitely talented and to sing and play complex rhythms is not easy and there are few who do it well and she seems to do it pretty well.

EDIT: Just my 2p's worth.

Edited by purpleblob