USA G&L L2500

Schnozzalee

USA G&L L2500

34" Scale
21 Frets
Figured Hard Rock Maple Neck
Ebony Lined Fretless Fingerboard
2x George Fullerton Magnetic Field Humbuckers
G&L Tri-Tone active/passive electronics, 3-way mini-toggle pickup selector, series/parallel mini-toggle, preamp control mini-toggle (off/on/on with high end EQ boost)
Swamp Ash Body
Chrome Hardware
Transparent Forest Green Finish
Ultra Lite G&L tuning pegs
G&L saddlelock Bridge with through body stringing
Neck Width at Nut 44.5mm
Moulded G&L Branded Hardshell Case

The USA model uses higher quality materials, resulting in a much lighter, more resonant bass than the Indonesian Tribute series. Leo Fenders final say on the bass guitar. I was expecting it to be a lot heavier but I'd guess 9lbs but don't have the means to weigh it. Reason I'm selling is that I need 24 frets instead of the 20/21 fret stretch found on most basses - I have guitarists hands. A shame as its fantastically versatile - Motown, Rock, Jazz, Metal, Funk, Country, RnB does it all. Never seen Green and Ebony on a G&L (Incredible Hulk :))and the US models are getting quite hard to come by in the UK.

This bass is professionally setup with new roundwound strings and I can't see a mark on it - looks as new. You can use roundwounds with minimal scratching on an ebony and slap if thats your thing. The bass does anything from Jazz to Musicman to Precision tones through my Genz Benz 750. The fretless Precision tone can be set to passive with a vintage tone to die for, especially with the clarity of the Ebony and the extra boom from the humbuckers. I've not had an issue with the B string as I string through the body preferring the higher tension. Theres also plenty of access to the higher frets of the neck for the jazz guys, but for those of us who aren't its quite easy to whipe out that fretless mwah and keep the depth and rumble.

And heres the link to the original thread with some pictures:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=77896&hl=l2500"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=77896&hl=l2500[/url]

I'm looking £695 which is roughly double the price for a tribute L2500 new and this is in mint condition, so a good bargain I think. Worth at least £850 this condition second hand. I will consider all trades offers as well.

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='779026' date='Mar 18 2010, 07:26 PM']Its because of the Funky Weird Green finish, more basses should be green I feel. I've got a Zebra Skin Strap Locked on it at the moment :)[/quote]

Repeat after me

GREEN IS GOOD

GREEN IS GOOD

GREEN IS GOOD. . .

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='779011' date='Mar 18 2010, 07:13 PM']USA G&L L2500

34" Scale
21 Frets
Figured Hard Rock Maple Neck
Ebony Lined Fretless Fingerboard
2x George Fullerton Magnetic Field Humbuckers
G&L Tri-Tone active/passive electronics, 3-way mini-toggle pickup selector, series/parallel mini-toggle, preamp control mini-toggle (off/on/on with high end EQ boost)
Swamp Ash Body
Chrome Hardware
Transparent Forest Green Finish
Ultra Lite G&L tuning pegs
G&L saddlelock Bridge with through body stringing
Neck Width at Nut 44.5mm
Moulded G&L Branded Hardshell Case

The USA model uses higher quality materials, resulting in a much lighter, more resonant bass than the Indonesian Tribute series. Leo Fenders final say on the bass guitar. I was expecting it to be a lot heavier but I'd guess 9lbs but don't have the means to weigh it. Reason I'm selling is that I need 24 frets instead of the 20/21 fret stretch found on most basses - I have guitarists hands. A shame as its fantastically versatile - Motown, Rock, Jazz, Metal, Funk, Country, RnB does it all. Never seen Green and Ebony on a G&L (Incredible Hulk :))and the US models are getting quite hard to come by in the UK.

This bass is professionally setup with new roundwound strings and I can't see a mark on it - looks as new. You can use roundwounds with minimal scratching on an ebony and slap if thats your thing. The bass does anything from Jazz to Musicman to Precision tones through my Genz Benz 750. The fretless Precision tone can be set to passive with a vintage tone to die for, especially with the clarity of the Ebony and the extra boom from the humbuckers. I've not had an issue with the B string as I string through the body preferring the higher tension. Theres also plenty of access to the higher frets of the neck for the jazz guys, but for those of us who aren't its quite easy to whipe out that fretless mwah and keep the depth and rumble.

And heres the link to the original thread with some pictures:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=77896&hl=l2500"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=77896&hl=l2500[/url]

I'm looking for the same price £650 which is roughly the price for a tribute L2500 new and this is in mint condition, so a good bargain I think. Worth at least £850 this condition second hand. I will consider all trades offers as well.[/quote]

I don't want to be a dreadful pedant (well maybe I do), but the stretch is down to the scale length not the number of frets. It's just how far up the neck they gave up adding frets :rolleyes: I found that, although at first glance quite chunky, that these G&Ls have amazingly comfy necks for a five string.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='779355' date='Mar 19 2010, 06:21 AM']I don't want to be a dreadful pedant (well maybe I do), but the stretch is down to the scale length not the number of frets. It's just how far up the neck they gave up adding frets :) I found that, although at first glance quite chunky, that these G&Ls have amazingly comfy necks for a five string.[/quote]

Do they add the extra frets past the 12th?? It is a very comfy neck, I'm a lil unsure now. I've had a few basses where the 1st to 5th frets have been awful for my hands to manouvre around (in this case its the bottom 3) but it ain't too bad, getting used to using my pinky for octaves.

I always heard G&Ls were heavy and had poor access to the higher frets - I disagree! I prefer a fretless (in ebony!), although getting frets put in wouldn't be a waste of funds, I think they're very underrated both renown and value.

[quote name='martthebass' post='785105' date='Mar 24 2010, 08:23 PM']Oh this is nice. I'd love this but can only afford one fretless in the armory and (previous experience dicatates) that it'd take me longer than a week to sell my Overwater. Never mind and bump...[/quote]

Pssst.... you sure you shouldn't ask him if he'd like a trade with your OW. Just a HINT :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='785107' date='Mar 24 2010, 08:26 PM']Pssst.... you sure you shouldn't ask him if he'd like a trade with your OW. Just a HINT :)[/quote]

Nobody loves Perceptions PB!

I don't mind green..........it's the new, erm, black?

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='MB1' post='785651' date='Mar 25 2010, 11:38 AM']MB1. :rolleyes:
...Mancunian Bumpette![/quote]

Oh! thank ye kindly :)

Yeah anything with 24 frets or lines is dandy - I'm loving the whole fretless with lines on ebony thing at the moment, if it had the extra line it'd be going nowhere.

All trades considered although I do have something in particular that i'm after directly after its sale! Green is definately the new black and this has both on it to make sure.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='785717' date='Mar 25 2010, 12:30 PM']Oh! thank ye kindly :)

Yeah anything with 24 frets or lines is dandy - I'm loving the whole fretless with lines on ebony thing at the moment, if it had the extra line it'd be going nowhere.

All trades considered although I do have something in particular that i'm after directly after its sale! Green is definately the new black and this has both on it to make sure.[/quote]

Well, keep my OW in mind if it falls through, this would fit nicely in my current set up,

Cheers, Mart

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='786978' date='Mar 26 2010, 02:38 PM']Hmm, dithering a lil bit on this. Didn't realise the USA models were that rare in the UK :) Lakland problem all over again...[/quote]

Our local 'Academy of sound' chain had stacks of USA G&Ls for sale a few years ago, and so there's loads of owners in the Midlands. However, they are such versatile basses, I think people are hanging onto them, and the ones you now see for sale are usually Tributes

Nice bass, nice colour ! Tempted myself. Good luck !

Edited by loweringthetone

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='788825' date='Mar 28 2010, 08:15 PM']You have four hours ladies and gentlemen![/quote]

put some frets on it and i'll buy it geeza.

[quote name='johnzgerman' post='788827' date='Mar 28 2010, 08:18 PM']put some frets on it and i'll buy it geeza.[/quote]

Wouldn't be a hard job to do, local Luthier's calling, its already setup. I prefer it fretless. The cost would probably take you up to half the price of a new USA still in as new condition.

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='788841' date='Mar 28 2010, 08:31 PM']Wouldn't be a hard job to do, local Luthier's calling, its already setup. I prefer it fretless. The cost would probably take you up to half the price of a new USA still in as new condition.[/quote]

Not that expensive to get something fretted these days :)