Why become a member? ×

Advice on paying for a trip to NY

In the entirely hypothetical event that someone not a million miles away wanted to finance a trip to NY by bringing back something ... erm ... valuable, in a 4-stringed sort of way, to be carried through Heathrow as a personal possession and IN NO WAY an import, which could then be sold at a vintagetastic profit in London, what would the assembled hordes of Basschatters recommend?

Hypothetically.

A really nice Fender P or J would be the obvious choices, so it's the less obvious that I'm looking for. Damn - what a giveaway!

Edited by Happy Jack

:ph34r: Rockinbetter out, Rickenbacker back?

:ph34r: :ph34r: Of course, one [i]might[/i] peruse the NY gtr / bass shop sites for whatever might take one's eye and purchase a 'ringer' to match in advance of the trip.

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: Does it even have to be a bass? Talcum powder out, 3 keys of skag back?

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='778762' date='Mar 18 2010, 04:11 PM']:ph34r: Rockinbetter out, Rickenbacker back?

:ph34r: :ph34r: Of course, one [i]might[/i] peruse the NY gtr / bass shop sites for whatever might take one's eye and purchase a 'ringer' to matchin advance of the trip.

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: Does it even have to be a bass? Talcum powder out, 3 keys of skag back?[/quote]
Unless you've got on hell of a sweat problem, 3kg of talc on the way out is taking the proverbial :)

Having visited the usual suspect shops in NYC just last November, I have to say that I didn't see much that would finance the trip in any sort of way hypothetical or otherwise, was still a great trip. There was some real suspect modified Fender foder on offer. You might get lucky, now Chicago now thats a better bet from my experience, not quite as obvious a delight for your spouse, but better vintage kit shops and lots of late evening Jazz & blues clubs, magic.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='778729' date='Mar 18 2010, 03:48 PM']In the entirely hypothetical event that someone not a million miles away wanted to finance a trip to NY by bringing back something ... erm ... valuable, in a 4-stringed sort of way, to be carried through Heathrow as a personal possession and IN NO WAY an import, which could then be sold at a vintagetastic profit in London, what would the assembled hordes of Basschatters recommend?

Hypothetically.

A really nice Fender P or J would be the obvious choices, so it's the less obvious that I'm looking for. Damn - what a giveaway![/quote]

I'd be a bit careful because they are onto this kind of thing. Recently they caught a few people who had taken copies out (with Fender & Gibson logo's applied) then returned with the genuine article. I presume they could confiscate until the duty is paid!

Proably a few bargains in Detroit right now ...
Other than that I suspect you have to pay virtaully the same for a vintage Fender in New York shop as you would here.

I did manage this trick with saxophones once (Selmer S80 out, King silversonic super 20 back if anyone was wondering) but it was really hard to sell the Selmer as I didn't have an address in the US and they are very wary of advertising or buying anything dodgy, and I happened upon the King by accident and not in a shop.
And it was before my mate had invented the World Wide Web....

That must be a serious bargain and/or a very pricey bass for the cost of import duty to be materially more than the cost of flight, accommodation and food/drink/entertainment when States-side (especially if your "friend" doesn't like to 'slum it')!!!!!

Edited by Clarky

Well, [i][b]my friend[/b][/i] would be staying with his sister in Manhattan, and it's five months into the future, so [i][b]my friend[/b][/i] was thinking he could watch US eBay during that time and wait for a decent bargain to turn up. [i][b]My friend[/b][/i] has always been a bit optimistic in these matters.

Of course, [i][b]your friend [/b][/i]could always pop over to Sherman Oaks and buy something expensive from the legendary [s]loudmouth[/s] e-bay seller 'tune-o-matic'. Then kick the crap out of him and take the money back. Plant the talcum powder (remember that?) on his lifeless body. Drug deal gone bad. Entirely plausible.

Hey Presto! - Everyone's a winner!

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='throwoff' post='779366' date='Mar 19 2010, 07:14 AM']The one place this would really work nowadays is Japan.

2x USA fender out 2x Jap fender in.

The USA's are massively overpriced out there I heard so you would profit taking them and the Jap instruments are considerable cheaper in Japan than UK[/quote]

The trouble with all of this is that since Sir Carole Kay invented the the Web and eBay international there's no little back street shops stacked full of 60's basses in dusty US backwoods towns where the shop guy has no idea about what he has.

It's the same with US basses into Japan. Sure if you could buy new stuff at cost in the US and sell at full retail in Japan, and get through customs undetected, you may make enough to cover your flight and make a few bucks but buying from the US and paying the shipping will almost certainly be cheaper for a Japanese person, just as it is here.

My guess would be that the only way to do this would be to take something very British that's generally only available here but highly prized in the States - dunno what though, orginal Hiwatt tube amp? Kiera Knightly? Watkins 33 guitar :), and then ring back something very US that's not generally available here... Angelina Jolie?

[quote name='OldGit' post='779488' date='Mar 19 2010, 09:40 AM']My guess would be that the only way to do this would be to take something very British that's generally only available here but highly prized in the States - dunno what though, orginal Hiwatt tube amp? Kiera Knightly? Watkins 33 guitar :) ..............[/quote]

Something like a Wal, maybe? :rolleyes:

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='779320' date='Mar 19 2010, 12:09 AM']Of course, [i][b]your friend [/b][/i]could always pop over to Sherman Oaks and buy something expensive from the legendary [s]loudmouth[/s] e-bay seller 'tune-o-matic'. Then kick the crap out of him and take the money back. Plant the talcum powder (remember that?) on his lifeless body. Drug deal gone bad. Entirely plausible.

Hey Presto! - Everyone's a winner![/quote]

You sir, single-handedly brighten up my day!*

Cheers,
James

* Not gay slang.

Edited by Moos3h

Your friend should be very careful. Customs staff are very good at guitar and bass spotting -- and have been since 1984 when they collared me.

They know about makes, models and serial numbers, will ask for receipts and have the power to confiscate anything on which your pal might be evading import duty and tax. It will then belong to the Queen. Your pal will be free to bid for his former property at an auction in the Queen's warehouse, if he wishes.

Meanwhile, your friend will be up in court -- or tried summarily in the C&E interview room, as happened to me. £120 fine and no guitar.

They are wise to most ruses and target instrument cases. B*stards :)

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='misrule' post='779794' date='Mar 19 2010, 02:01 PM']Your friend should be very careful. Customs staff are very good at guitar and bass spotting -- and have been since 1984 when they collared me.

They know about makes, models and serial numbers, will ask for receipts and have the power to confiscate anything on which your pal might be evading import duty and tax. It will then belong to the Queen. Your pal will be free to bid for his former property at an auction in the Queen's warehouse, if he wishes.

Meanwhile, your friend will be up in court -- or tried summarily in the C&E interview room, as happened to me. £120 fine and no guitar.

They are wise to most ruses and target instrument cases. B*stards :)

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

How do you protect yourself on the way back if you're legitimately bringing an instrument out there? I mean who has a receipt for a bass they've had ten years or whatever?

[quote name='fatback' post='779803' date='Mar 19 2010, 02:14 PM']How do you protect yourself on the way back if you're legitimately bringing an instrument out there? I mean who has a receipt for a bass they've had ten years or whatever?[/quote]

+1 on that ... what if I actually was going to play at my sister's wedding in Manhattan and wanted to take my favourite bass with me? Can I register it somehow so I don't get accused of importing it?

Does anyone actually know?

If you don't have a sales receipt, you can get a receipt from customs at your departure airport to show you're taking your bass out of the country.

By the way, to avoid any doubt, basses bought second hand in the US are still subject to import tax and VAT.

In my experience, it's best to play it straight. I've declared that I'm over my customs limit since my arrest and I'm often waved through.

Cheers

Mark

Just rang the customs helpline (0845 010 9000), to be certain. They said a bass taken to New York would be classed as a personal possession "so you shouldn't have a problem" bringing it back into the country. To avoid any doubt, they said you could get a receipt from customs at the airport before boarding your flight.

Cheers

Mark