Why become a member? ×

painting a cab ....bitumen??

Bay Splayer

anyone know if its ok to paint a cab (still with the vinyl on) with bitumen paint or will the paint react with the vinyl?

........just cant be arsed to take the vinyl off, and the cab aint got to look pretty

cheers

P.S.

i know about tuff paint but this stuff is less than half the price of that :)

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='777777' date='Mar 17 2010, 06:23 PM']anyone know if its ok to paint a cab (still with the vinyl on) with bitumen paint or will the paint react with the vinyl?

........just cant be arsed to take the vinyl off, and the cab aint got to look pretty

cheers

P.S.

i know about tuff paint but this stuff is less than half the price of that :)[/quote]

I could be wrong.... but I thought that bitumen paint never really hardens. May not be what you wanted!!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='777858' date='Mar 17 2010, 07:30 PM']I could be wrong.... but I thought that bitumen paint never really hardens. May not be what you wanted!![/quote]

i had that thought at the back of my mind , but am not positive..... currently doing a google search for info :)

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='777777' date='Mar 17 2010, 06:23 PM']the cab aint got to look pretty

cheers

P.S.

i know about tuff paint but this stuff is less than half the price of that :rolleyes:[/quote]

If it aint got to look pretty, why not leave it as it is - even cheaper than bitumen :)

Funnily enough I am thinking of tarting up a combo and was considering asking advice on the same subject.

Right now I am torn between a liberal application of shoe polish or some kind of Krylon paint, which I am sure I saw suggested on a forum somewhere.

[quote name='paul h' post='777964' date='Mar 17 2010, 08:46 PM']Funnily enough I am thinking of tarting up a combo and was considering asking advice on the same subject.

Right now I am torn between a liberal application of shoe polish or some kind of Krylon paint, which I am sure I saw suggested on a forum somewhere.[/quote]

Ikea make a range of translucent finishes (behandler) that brush on easily and are water based. I've used the black version for a baffle board and it worked fine.

Painting the vinyl will leave a mess whatever you use and bitumen as you will have gathered would be a big mistake.

You can stick down any loose bits of vinyl with white PVA adhesive. For the stubborn curly bits coat both surfaces with glue, allow to dry and then iron down with a warm (not hot) iron. then get a felt tip pen and shade in all the tears and missing bits and scuffed bits so they don't show up. Once the glue has set spray the vinyl with WD40 and polish, it will lift the dirt and leave the vinyl like new.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='778013' date='Mar 17 2010, 09:36 PM']I'm sure bitumen will remain sticky for literally years, and will soften under stage lights.[/quote]

Pretty sure you're right here. I'm also not sure that any "conventional" paint (i.e. oil-based) will stick to vinyl in the first place.

Something with a nasty toxic solvent like Xylene ought to work though. Hammerite?

The problem is that vinyl is shiny and hard to stick to and flexible so it needs a paint which will flex with it. The only paints that will do this are latex paints which won't stick and acrylic paints which are too soft. Any paint you apply will peel off in sheets or flake off if it is not flexible.

There's this, available from Halfords: [url="http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_173744_langId_-1_categoryId_165495"]http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165495[/url]

But it probably says 'test a small, hidden area first'. :)

I just did this...

[attachment=45488:peavey.jpg]

With some of this that I got from Homebase!

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rust-Oleum-AE0160007E8-400ml-Universal-Cardinal/dp/B001W03PZY/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=diy&qid=1269251557&sr=1-21"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rust-Oleum-AE01600...557&sr=1-21[/url]

Went on well and the gloss finish looks quite cool. I didn't spend any real time on it, with regards to preparation or painting but as an experiment I think it's ok.