Why become a member? ×

Good fretless to start on...

Jigster

The Squier VM fretless Jazz is very nice, there is also a superb Aria SB1000 lined fretless for sale in Oxford...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=65879"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=65879[/url]

Only £595!

FWIW, I'd recommend some kind of fretless Musicman! I'm not one to rave about Musicman basses that are fretted, although they are damn good, but fretless, they are fantastic! I have a Sabre necked custom bass that is just fantastic. It has made fretless my main instrument! I think that pickup placement is great for fretless, you can have loads of Jaco style honk at the same time as loads of strong fundamental!

I was very lucky to find it!

If you are just starting out on fretless, i would really recommend saving a few notes and picking up one of these, A Vintage Ivon VJ96 fretless

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vintage-ICON-VJ96-Fretless-Bass-S-B/7BV"]vintage icon bass[/url]

not only does it have that serious jaco vibe its also, actually a very good bass for the price. I was really surprised when i tried one of these.

They can be found in a couple ebay for slightly cheaper than in the link i posted, but still it gives you a rough idea.

Yeah, those Vintage Icon basses are very cool. The relicing looks slightly tatty but they sound and feel great, and are a solid alternative to the much praised Squier Vintage Modified.

As for fretless P basses, I've never been a fan and I would really struggle to recommend one, they just don't do that honk that I like, and I don't think they're very good.

You could have a look at the new Warwick Rock Basses - here's one on e-bay (US only)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WARWICK-ROCKBASS-FRETLESS-STREAMER-STD-4-STRING-BASS_W0QQitemZ300407232845QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item45f1aa994d#ht_11022wt_1146"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WARWICK-ROCKBASS-FRE...ht_11022wt_1146[/url]

Don't know if they are out over here yet mind.

You could also look out for a Warwick Streamer Standard - these had the ovankol necks of the more expensive basses (and a nice ebony fingerboard) but more simple body construction and passive MEC pickups. Had one for a few years and kind of regret selling it. Really nice tone. Should be able to pick one up second hand for £250-300 depending on condition. Worth a look !

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='775668' date='Mar 15 2010, 08:47 PM']TBH I don't think Stingrays make good fretless basses. Too prone to dead spots, which are more problematic on fretless.[/quote]

This is indeed a valid point. However, I have been lucky to have avoid that with my Sabre special. It has a solid bubinga body with a thuja top and an african Kingwood fingerboard, as well as brass hardware. It weighs a ton, by far the heaviest bass I've ever played, but it also has the most incredible sustain, and strong, punchy notes. There isn't a dead spot on it, it resonates like a bloody piano! Though I accept this is not the case with "true" Stingrays and Sabres. But then I've found pretty much everthing along those lines - Musicman, Precision and Jazz - all seem to suffer from dead spots!

It is the things that are made of dense or heavy materials (or graphite) that all ring true, like my Sabre, my Warwick, my Status graphite basses...maybe I have a subconcious attraction to things like that!

[quote name='skywalker' post='775653' date='Mar 15 2010, 08:36 PM']If you want something to try out, I have a P copy, unlined, you are welcome to take it for a try out, and I am only in Kegworth, a half hour or so away, I can bring it over.[/quote]

hey thanks for that, really kind offer - but i think referencing Jerry B's reply I think I should start with a lined fretless - i'm sure it's going to be a huge leap in my abilities so will need as much help as poss!!!

cheers re. the Warwicks dmz, I'll have a look

[quote name='Jigster' post='775684' date='Mar 15 2010, 09:01 PM']hey thanks for that, really kind offer - but i think referencing Jerry B's reply I think I should start with a lined fretless - i'm sure it's going to be a huge leap in my abilities so will need as much help as poss!!!

cheers re. the Warwicks dmz, I'll have a look[/quote]

It has to be said, I started with an unlined fretless after about 3 years of playing and I got on just fine with it. I prefer lined but I'm happy with either. Don't be scared to give unlined a go - every primary school level violinist did it without a second thought!

[quote name='Jigster' post='775684' date='Mar 15 2010, 09:01 PM']hey thanks for that, really kind offer - but i think referencing Jerry B's reply I think I should start with a lined fretless - i'm sure it's going to be a huge leap in my abilities so will need as much help as poss!!![/quote]

I reckon it's best to jump in at the deep end and go with an unlined fretless. Otherwise you'll waste a tad too much time trying to get your brain to not recognise frets being there when they are, as such (on a lined fretless). An unlined also tends to make your ear and your intuitive sense of playing much sharper, and it's best to learn that from the get-go.

It's not as scary as it looks! If anything it frees up your playing and after a while you don't think to much about the mechanics of playing as it becomes more of a gut feel/instinct.

[quote name='Jigster' post='775684' date='Mar 15 2010, 09:01 PM']hey thanks for that, really kind offer - but i think referencing Jerry B's reply I think I should start with a lined fretless - i'm sure it's going to be a huge leap in my abilities so will need as much help as poss!!!

cheers re. the Warwicks dmz, I'll have a look[/quote]

Im on the same journey....I think the Tony Franklin Fretless is calling you Jigster! :)

Bit above budget....but if you definitely want to have a fretless, its a very good sound and look. Its exactly the fretless im after.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='775446' date='Mar 15 2010, 05:40 PM']FWIW, I'd recommend some kind of fretless Musicman! I'm not one to rave about Musicman basses that are fretted, although they are damn good, but fretless, they are fantastic! I have a Sabre necked custom bass that is just fantastic. It has made fretless my main instrument! I think that pickup placement is great for fretless, you can have loads of Jaco style honk at the same time as loads of strong fundamental![/quote]

+1 on this. I had a fretless Ray and to be honest it was the best bass I ever had. It could do everything my fretted Ray could, and then some. Deep, phat, tight fretless tones. Just perfect.

It's all down to taste. You need to get out of the house and try as many fretless bass as you can get your hands on. It's the only way you can find out what suits you and how you play.

In the price range you mentioned I haven't found a better fretless for me than the Ibanez Gary Willis. If you get on with Fender designs (I don't) I found that the VMJ Squier was slightly less horrible than the Vintage.

I've only tried one MM fretless, but couldn't get on with it at all - even less right fforr my playing technique than the Fender designs were.

The only fretless Warwicks I've played that I didn't find completely nasty to play (sticky feeling necks and not at all conducive to sliding fretless playing) had either a good number of years worth of use already (while I do think that basses mature as they age, they should be fit for purpose without too much effort straight out of the box) or a £4000+ price tag.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='776114' date='Mar 16 2010, 11:30 AM']The only fretless Warwicks I've played that I didn't find completely nasty to play (sticky feeling necks and not at all conducive to sliding fretless playing) had either a good number of years worth of use already[/quote]

I presume you've been playing warwicks with a solid finish? As the ones with open grained wooden necks are some of the smoothest and easiest to play I've ever found.

No they were all open grained wooden necks. Maybe they'd all been waxed on but had had sufficient waxing off to make them playable. However this was at a major trade exhibition so you would expect the instruments to be the cream of the crop in every respect.

On the whole I don't have a problem with painted necks. All the basses I use regularly have either painted or high gloss tinted finishes to the necks. The only reason painted necks feel sticky is because the manufacturer has used the wrong type of finish on them, it's got nothing to do with the glossiness of the finish at all.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='776520' date='Mar 16 2010, 06:20 PM']No they were all open grained wooden necks. Maybe they'd all been waxed on but had had sufficient waxing off to make them playable.[/quote]

Strange, the necks shouldn't be waxed at all, they open grain is kept in shape by the oils from the player's hand!