Why become a member? ×

Feel

Mykesbass

Not my usual thing, but this is what I had in mind - no great Funk & Groove (although those posted are very tasty) just holding down a solid riff with some occasional decoration, letting the others get out there and make fools of themselves :)

[quote name='Stingray5' post='768764' date='Mar 9 2010, 03:12 AM']Michel Colombier - "Dreamland" (feat. Jaco Pastorius)
[/quote]

Best best best album in my collection.

And, I think there are MAJOR differences between feel, groove and riff...
I don't get some of these examples... have to say.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' post='769898' date='Mar 9 2010, 11:06 PM']And, I think there are MAJOR differences between feel, groove and riff...
I don't get some of these examples... have to say.[/quote]

How so? Surely groove and riff are part of the feel?

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='769936' date='Mar 9 2010, 11:51 PM']How so? Surely groove and riff are part of the feel?[/quote]

I know this is always going to be SO subjective, but I'm of the opinion that "feel" really counts when all the other elements are not there - someone just holding down a really simple I V or a walking bass but making it sound just right and being "in the pocket. So far, it's the reggae examples (plus Zappa) that are doin it for me - not to take anything away from the groove based examples but perhaps in those cases the feel is not the key element.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='770870' date='Mar 10 2010, 08:11 PM']I know this is always going to be SO subjective, but I'm of the opinion that "feel" really counts when all the other elements are not there - someone just holding down a really simple I V or a walking bass but making it sound just right and being "in the pocket. So far, it's the reggae examples (plus Zappa) that are doin it for me - not to take anything away from the groove based examples but perhaps in those cases the feel is not the key element.[/quote]

I always see feel as the bass player chucking his all into what he's playing - be that riffs, or whatever. This is why I posted a Lightning Bolt tune - the bass player (the band is just him and a drummer) puts in 100%. Simple enough riffs perhaps, but it's the overall feel and drive that makes it work.

Personally I think there's 2 different types of "playing with feel", first off is playing riffs and melodies that you can tell come straight from the soul (:) k, maybe not that, but I hope you get the idea), and secondly there's really feeling the beat and playing dead on time, even if it's strange phrasings, syncopation and all that. Take Jaco for example, to the average listener some of his phrasings might sound out of time and strange, but after a while you can really start feeling it. Both at the same time is a massive bonus though haha.

But Jaco's stuff sounds dead to me. Sure, maybe it's technically good but to my ears it doesn't really set off any fireworks. So 'feel' is really always going to be relative to one's own tastes. I've heard fretless playing that gets my synapses zapping, and none of it's any of Jaco's stuff. Each to their own though.

[quote name='deathpanda' post='771101' date='Mar 10 2010, 11:28 PM']Personally I think there's 2 different types of "playing with feel", first off is playing riffs and melodies that you can tell come straight from the soul (:) k, maybe not that, but I hope you get the idea), and secondly there's really feeling the beat and playing dead on time, even if it's strange phrasings, syncopation and all that. Take Jaco for example, to the average listener some of his phrasings might sound out of time and strange, but after a while you can really start feeling it. Both at the same time is a massive bonus though haha.[/quote]
+1 Good post

• 1 month later...

Missed such an obvious one - Temptations - Papa Was A Rolling Stone - 7 minutes, competing with strings, five or six different voices, a harp, kitchen sink, heavy delay trumpet and yet the same repeated 4 notes just make the whole song.