Why become a member? ×

what the hell...

mgibson

I love the video in the OP. Probably my favourite video of Billy and Paul. Beautiful melody, fearsome chops, wonderful feel, awesome tone. Billy and Paul have always been a winning combination, but their experience here is really showing. To be honest, it's better than 99% of the stuff I hear today. I absolutely love the part where Paul's solo ends and the unison line comes in together. It's also a fair clever way of doing things, with Paul ascending and Billy descending. Of course, this is to be expected from elite musicians. I've had the pleasure of seeing both Paul and Billy live on numerous occasions and they always entertain. Also, having been front row in these shows, I can confirm that they're both gentleman, and Billy shook my hand and was really cool despite the fact I was whooping and cheering for him all night.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='774656' date='Mar 14 2010, 08:29 PM']I love the video in the OP. Probably my favourite video of Billy and Paul. Beautiful melody, fearsome chops, wonderful feel, awesome tone. Billy and Paul have always been a winning combination, but their experience here is really showing. To be honest, it's better than 99% of the stuff I hear today. I absolutely love the part where Paul's solo ends and the unison line comes in together. It's also a fair clever way of doing things, with Paul ascending and Billy descending. Of course, this is to be expected from elite musicians. I've had the pleasure of seeing both Paul and Billy live on numerous occasions and they always entertain. Also, having been front row in these shows, I can confirm that they're both gentleman, and Billy shook my hand and was really cool despite the fact I was whooping and cheering for him all night.[/quote]
I am very much a fan but to be honest I think that this clip is OK but certainly not the best thing they've ever done. It’s just a live set piece that is trying to be a little bit different from what the audience might expect with a bit of extra showiness thrown in, which, seeing as they are on a stage is perfectly acceptable!

What is strange is how some people here seem to really resent this, seeing it as a gratuitous display of musicianship and showmanship (which of course it is) and therefore conclusive evidence that anyone who is better than them is in fact rubbish and deserving of all the scorn their bitter little hearts can manage!

[quote name='peteb' post='775015' date='Mar 15 2010, 10:46 AM']I am very much a fan but to be honest I think that this clip is OK but certainly not the best thing they've ever done. It’s just a live set piece that is trying to be a little bit different from what the audience might expect with a bit of extra showiness thrown in, which, seeing as they are on a stage is perfectly acceptable!

What is strange is how some people here seem to really resent this, seeing it as a gratuitous display of musicianship and showmanship (which of course it is) and therefore conclusive evidence that anyone who is better than them is in fact rubbish and deserving of all the scorn their bitter little hearts can manage![/quote]

It's just entertainment and there's nothing wrong with that. I'd sure as hell like to be able to play with that level of skill. I don't necessarily aspire to it, though. I think as a mere mortal you have to keep a bit of perspective - it's a good start to be able to play the right notes, in time in a band situation :)

I'm not a particular fan of playing such as in the OP, much more groove orientated stuff for me. But I can certainly appreciate it, you'd be disappointed if you went to a Vai/Satch/Gilbert concert and not see some silly over the top bass/guitar unison pieces, it's part of the show. They're also 'performing', those punters want to see these guitar weilding comic-book characters putting a show on, and good on them for making a career out of that. Live and let live!

Si

[quote name='peteb' post='775015' date='Mar 15 2010, 10:46 AM']What is strange is how some people here seem to really resent this, seeing it as a gratuitous display of musicianship and showmanship (which of course it is) and therefore conclusive evidence that anyone who is better than them is in fact rubbish and deserving of all the scorn their bitter little hearts can manage![/quote]

What I find strange is when people confuse disdain for resentment and scorn. When I see Peter Stringfellow on TV I'm not jealous of him, I really do honestly just think he looks like a twat.

At least Nigel Tufnel bowing a guitar with a violin was funny.

[quote name='peteb' post='775015' date='Mar 15 2010, 10:46 AM']What is strange is how some people here seem to really resent this, seeing it as a gratuitous display of musicianship and showmanship (which of course it is) and therefore conclusive evidence that anyone who is better than them is in fact rubbish and deserving of all the scorn their bitter little hearts can manage![/quote]
I don't resent it at all although I do I agree it's gratuitous. I'm confident both players are 'better' than me but I don't scorn them and my heart is not bitter.

I simply don't like it, I am neither impressed nor moved emotionally by it, and I have no desire to listen to anything that's very much like it.

I'm equally confident the players in the clip below are 'better' than me; but I am impressed by them and moved emotionally and it caused me to buy Bottesini's [i]Gran Duetti[/i]:

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='776416' date='Mar 16 2010, 04:44 PM']I don't resent it at all although I do I agree it's gratuitous. I'm confident both players are 'better' than me but I don't scorn them and my heart is not bitter.

I simply don't like it, I am neither impressed nor moved emotionally by it, and I have no desire to listen to anything that's very much like it.

I'm equally confident the players in the clip below are 'better' than me; but I am impressed by them and moved emotionally and it caused me to buy Bottesini's [i]Gran Duetti[/i]:

[/quote]
No one is asking you to like, yet alone listen to Mr Big or the like, just to appreciate the musicianship involved and that others do like it

Above all to accept that just because you don’t like a certain type of music doesn’t mean that it is without value

Oh, and also not to post clips of classical music to establish your musical appreciation credentials!

[quote name='peteb' post='776608' date='Mar 16 2010, 07:16 PM']No one is asking you to like, yet alone listen to Mr Big or the like, just to appreciate the musicianship involved and that others do like it[/quote]
Like I said, I'm confident both players are better musicians than I am and I'm well aware that many others like it. I recognise that Billy Sheahan is a very talented bassist. However, you have appeared to be saying that some of us don't like it because we are resentful, scornful, and bitter because another musician is better than we are. I am none of those things.

[quote name='peteb' post='776608' date='Mar 16 2010, 07:16 PM']Above all to accept that just because you don’t like a certain type of music doesn’t mean that it is without value[/quote]
I did not claim it was without value. Clearly some people value it highly. However, it does nothing for me - and I remain without resentfulness, scornfulness, and bitterness.

[quote name='peteb' post='776608' date='Mar 16 2010, 07:16 PM']Oh, and also not to post clips of classical music to establish your musical appreciation credentials![/quote]
:) I used that clip because it was already posted in the thread (as a link, though not embedded) and had been commented on in other posts, so it wasn't something new added to the discussion to establish my credentials. My liking of the clip was a counter-example to your claim that some of us were resentful, scornful, and bitter when confronted my musicians more talented than ourselves.

If I was in my local music pub chatting away and 2 unknown guys got up started doing this I'd find it extremely hard to remain ambivalent about it. I think myself and every other muso that I know would stop what we were doing, listen and probably give great thanks at the end. It's certainly not my cup of tea but the effort that goes into pulling something like that off surley deserves some respect.