Why become a member? ×

Heavy Metal Britannia BBC4 21.00 Fri 5th March

OldGit

I thought it was pretty good. I was most interested in the gig crowd footage - reminded me very much of those time. Mind you, it always looks a bit grubbier than it actually was. I guess that's because you can't smell the Brut 33 and Old Spice fumes...

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='765863' date='Mar 6 2010, 09:52 AM']So many P basses on TV last night. Makes me feel proud to own one.[/quote]

Quite a few Jazzes too. Check out the Judas Priest 'Rocka Rolla' bit - very nice sound from a Jazz there!

[quote name='discreet' post='765884' date='Mar 6 2010, 10:32 AM']Yes! Or the BO, patchouli, vomit and smoke![/quote]

It was always the aftershave fumes I remember. Some of the older metallers would even be as daring as to wear 'Denim' :rolleyes: Me, I just smelt of 'Shield' :)

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='765890' date='Mar 6 2010, 10:43 AM']Some of the older metallers would even be as daring as to wear 'Denim' :lol: Me, I just smelt of 'Shield' :rolleyes:[/quote]

:) Yes, I wore 'Denim' - in the mistaken belief it smelt like the more up-market 'Aramis'...

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='765887' date='Mar 6 2010, 10:41 AM']Quite a few Jazzes too. Check out the Judas Priest 'Rocka Rolla' bit - very nice sound from a Jazz there![/quote]

Oh yeah, i wasn't saying it was all P's, just the majority.

I really wished they had shown some Angelwitch. I used to love going to see them at the old Marquee.

[quote name='discreet' post='765747' date='Mar 6 2010, 12:13 AM']Heh, heh. I refer you to the Urban Dictionary:

Boff: A specific type of sexual intercourse having all of the following qualifications:

1) It is super high speed;
2) At least one of the participants does not know the other's name;
3) The male's trousers are not completely removed.[/quote]

Not a reference to Frank Bough then?

"Bough had a colourful private life which involved taking cocaine and wearing lingerie at sex parties. [2] The cocaine allegations almost ended his television career, although he did briefly return to present ITV's coverage of the 1991 Rugby World Cup. He also made headlines in 1992, when his visits to an S&M prostitute's Welbeck Street flat were made known to the tabloid press by one of the women regularly employed there as a receptionist. [3]"

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='765899' date='Mar 6 2010, 10:49 AM']I really wished they had shown some Angelwitch. I used to love going to see them at the old Marquee.[/quote]
There were a lot of bands who should have at least got a mention. What about Girlschool?

I have to admit I was disappointed with the programme.
It had the usual sneery "Let's make heavy metal bands & fans look like thick w***ers" vibe that you always get in things like this. I don't recall any of the other "Music Britannia" documentaries being that condescending, or using comedy sound effects when people were talking.

Still, nothing more than I'd expect from a bunch of middle class arty farty media w***ers.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='RhysP' post='765913' date='Mar 6 2010, 11:02 AM']I have to admit I was disappointed with the programme.
It had the usual sneery "Let's make heavy metal bands & fans look like thick w***ers" vibe that you always get in things like this. I don't recall any of the other "Music Britannia" documentaries being that condescending, or using comedy sound effects when people were talking.

Still, nothing more than I'd expect from a bunch of middle class arty farty media w***ers.[/quote]

There have been very few documentaries about heavy metal which take it seriously. Or, at least, they take the look of the bands too seriously, but not the music. I've always found that odd as the whole 'look' issue for metal bands has always been a bit showy and not always 100% serious - but their attitude towards their music is very serious.

It's not just metal that falls foul of this - the same thing has happened with punk doc's too.

[quote name='RhysP' post='765913' date='Mar 6 2010, 11:02 AM']There were a lot of bands who should have at least got a mention. What about Girlschool?[/quote]

Yeah, it seemed to be just a few "old" faces over and over again.

Oh, and anyone think it slightly tongue in cheek they had Nigel "Den Dennis" Planer doing the commentary? Maybe it was just me.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='765996' date='Mar 6 2010, 12:53 PM']Yeah, it seemed to be just a few "old" faces over and over again.

Oh, and anyone think it slightly tongue in cheek they had Nigel "Den Dennis" Planer doing the commentary? Maybe it was just me.[/quote]

Further ridiculing the genre by voice-over association. Not sure who I would have got to do it though, none of the usual suspects would have been suitable. And yes, the omission of Girlschool was unforgivable.

Edited by robocorpse

[quote name='robocorpse' post='766037' date='Mar 6 2010, 01:53 PM']Further ridiculing the genre by voice-over association. Not sure who I would have got to do it though[/quote]

I reckon Bill Nighy would have provided the required level of detachment and gravitas.

[quote name='OldGit' post='765631' date='Mar 5 2010, 09:21 PM']HEy dood ...
and he does it all with a p bass :)[/quote]

Indeed! - I must admit - I had a pang to get another P Bass after watching that - maybe to end up hanging next to the other two I own and haven't used!

Hmmm - a nice 70's Rosewood P on sunburst... or.. a Maple board on a natural Ash body... STOP STOP!! lol

I have to agree with some of the comments though - I noticed large chunks of this documentary - AND the Black Sabbath one having been lifted from previous documentaries that I have on an old video somewhere. For example an original Arena program - I remember it well, as it opened with Lemmy, lit up in green - looking rather demonic with loads of gnarly feedback roaring away!

Anyway, I digress - I did feel a bit like 'Heavy Metal' musicians and their fans were made out to be 'the great unwashed'. I would have also liked to have seen a brand new documentary, as opposed to regurgitating old material. Why is there nothing more recent? Heavy metal doesn't stop at the 80's - so where are the documenatries about the 90's? and the current stock of metal bands and all sub-genres?

Well, I guess BBC4 *did* manage to show the Iron Maiden concert after, that I really enjoyed - and at least *that* wasn't 20 years old!

Loved the Ed Force One Show, and last night's concert footage.
They actually sounded better than most of the times I've seen them.
Oh for a millionth of Mr Harris's talent, dedication and song writing abilities.

I too am now lusting after a Precision.

I have to admit that my interest in rock/metal has been minimal since 1978, so only the first half of that was of real interest to me.

Also on the evidence shown a P bass only seems good for being anonymous both sonically and visually. The bassists who sounded interesting to me were Jack Bruce and Lemmy, neither of whom were sporting Fenders.

Watched it on the iPlayer, really good show.
And the ex-DJ's comments about people playing air-guitar is comparable to a concert audience reading the sheet music i thought was quite an original spin on it, and quite true in some respects.

Only downside was that it made me think how all the 'old rockers' (or heavy metal-ers) are now, well, old.
Where's the new crew? Should there be one?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='766168' date='Mar 6 2010, 04:03 PM']I think Lemmy's tone is bloody awful. It put me off Ricks years ago. i do know its Ricks can do other tones though.
Then again, I cant stand Motorhead ;-)[/quote]
I would like Motorhead if they got a proper bass player and a singer who could sort of.... actually sing!

I know that this is the opposite view to that taken by most Motorhead fans.....