Why become a member? ×

who made my jazz?

hagguy

hi im looking to find out who made a jazz copy i've got
it quite old and battered looking with block inlays on the fretboard
its not got a makers name on it but the paint looks a d.i.y job
but its quite relic looking which i like so dont want to strip the paint
to see what on the head stock. how would i go about finding who made it?
some advice would be apprieciated

hopefully its a rough diamond and maybe worth a few quid doubt it
tho :) :rolleyes:

Edited by hagguy

[quote name='silddx' post='763347' date='Mar 3 2010, 08:52 PM']God knows, but the headstock shape looks strangely familiar.

I know I would put the tuners back where they should be.[/quote]

this was the first bass i bought £60 a few years ago dunno who changed
the tuners but im not gonna change them back never done work like that
would end up more battered than it already is probably break it if itried it

+1 - I was playing my old Columbus (bought new in '76!) last week - the bass in the pictures looks close (especially the nut) but the inlays on my bass aren't as figured or elaborate. Could it be a CMI or Kasuga (some nice basses from around the period)?

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='763591' date='Mar 4 2010, 06:49 AM']Have you had it to bits? Is there something under the neck joint?

Even if it was a 1965 Fender, I think you are going to struggle to worsen the value given the current choco-brown paint job. Get it stripped and paint it pink or something :)[/quote]

i've never took it apart, but think i'll take the neck off to see
if there is a serial number somewhere. any suggestions on how to strip it?

[quote name='silddx' post='763770' date='Mar 4 2010, 11:00 AM']I was going to suggest Columbus, but the board inlays look too high quality.[/quote]

[quote name='lozbass' post='763817' date='Mar 4 2010, 11:57 AM']+1 - I was playing my old Columbus (bought new in '76!) last week - the bass in the pictures looks close (especially the nut) but the inlays on my bass aren't as figured or elaborate. Could it be a CMI or Kasuga (some nice basses from around the period)?[/quote]

Yeah agree the blocks look better quality than on my old Columbus (also one owner '76!) (most of the components are the same, shapes are the same -- however the truss rod on mine is in the head-stock end) So probably a higher spec job from the same factory

Japanese 70's

B

Edited by Sonic_Groove

[quote name='hagguy' post='764178' date='Mar 4 2010, 05:16 PM']i've never took it apart, but think i'll take the neck off to see
if there is a serial number somewhere. any suggestions on how to strip it?[/quote]

Go do a search for "refinishing" and "stripping" in the Repairs and Technical subforum, there's tonnes of threads about stripping and refinishing. Your best bet will be sanding it with a lot of love and care methinks though.