Why become a member? ×

Mesa Walkabout Scout 112 cab

Clarky

I bought this from Toasted (Joe) in 2009 who had bought it new from BassDirect very shortly before. Its the 4 ohm 1x12 extension cab for a Mesa Walkabout combo and also features a passive down-firing radiator speaker. This means its loud and - hooked up to the Walkabout combo - makes it seriously, very loud!

Selling as I simply do not need the extra volume live (we usually go through PA) and its essentially a pretty but unused piece of home furniture. Plus I am thinking of buying a new Orange Bass Terror based modular rig (which will allow me to turn up to gigs with a lightweight powerful head when doing kit-share).

New these retail at £699. This is absolutely as-new and pristine and has a Mesa cover slip. Can't remember what I paid Joe for it (his original FS post has been edited so couldn't check) but I am going to say [s]a firm £475 [/s] £450 and its yours.

Must be collection or meet up near me (West London/Hammersmith).

Here is a link to the Mesa web page with specs and pics [url="http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Cabs/ScoutCABS/SCOUT-CABS-05-Main.htm"]http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bas...ABS-05-Main.htm[/url]

Edited by Clarky

Incidentally I am also chewing over whether to sell the combo (2008, 4 ohm, 1x12; also great condition with padded cover) with this as a package - not worked out yet whether a modular cab plus head rig would cover all my needs or whether I should additionally keep the combo (which is the best sounding combo I have ever heard, with a superb valvey front end).

I may put up a price if anyone is seriously interested in the package but, as stated, I am currently undecided on this.

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='762083' date='Mar 2 2010, 06:45 PM']Incidentally I am also chewing over whether to sell the combo (2008, 4 ohm, 1x12; also great condition with padded cover) with this as a package - not worked out yet whether a modular cab plus head rig would cover all my needs or whether I should additionally keep the combo (which is the best sounding combo I have ever heard, with a superb valvey front end).

I may put up a price if anyone is seriously interested in the package but, as stated, I am currently undecided on this.[/quote]

Oh heck id love this....

Clarky I presume its black Tolex....?

And should the Walkabout scout be run at 2ohms (2x4ohm cabs) I'm fairly sure mine should only be run at a max of 4 ohms...... Oreste told me to run an extension cab properly I would have to convert my 1x12 cab to 8ohm speakers.

Happy to be proved wrong....

[quote name='The Burpster' post='762311' date='Mar 2 2010, 09:52 PM']Clarky I presume its black Tolex....?

And should the Walkabout scout be run at 2ohms (2x4ohm cabs) I'm fairly sure mine should only be run at a max of 4 ohms...... Oreste told me to run an extension cab properly I would have to convert my 1x12 cab to 8ohm speakers.

Happy to be proved wrong....[/quote]
It is indeed black tolex

Re ohms,
I investigated befor buying. There was a BC thread about this in which someone said that although it is not recommended officially it is a standard thing to do and noone had experienced problems. I am typing on Blackberry away from home and will double check when I get home.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='762373' date='Mar 2 2010, 11:01 PM']Step away from the keyboard...!

Burp - Walkabouts will run at 2ohm all day long without a problem.[/quote]
Thanks for verification on 2 ohms Michael, I know I did my homework before buying the cab but can't lay my hands on the thread that discusses it!

Re: step away, I think you are right. Its too good to move on. Just the extension cab for sale, as you were.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='762656' date='Mar 3 2010, 10:04 AM']There's a parallel universe somewhere where I buy this cab to use with my Scout, sell all my other stuff and live happily ever after...[/quote]
I would accept your M-Pulse 600 and two Berg cabs as a trade :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='762656' date='Mar 3 2010, 10:04 AM']There's a parallel universe somewhere where I buy this cab to use with my Scout, sell all my other stuff and live happily ever after...[/quote]

I was thinking that!

Well I haven't been knocked over in the rush to buy this so I may well end up keeping it and maybe using it with an Orange Bass Terror (or more speculatively Little Mark Rocker; see other thread) in certain live situations.

(I realise incidentally that you can remove the head from a Walkabout combo but I would rather keep it in its place [the slightly agricultural panel and screws don't look like they would take to repeated removals], hence my desire to have a very small separate amp head for convenience)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='762829' date='Mar 3 2010, 12:21 PM']Well I haven't been knocked over in the rush to buy this so I may well end up keeping it and maybe using it with an Orange Bass Terror (or more speculatively Little Mark Rocker; see other thread) in certain live situations.

(I realise incidentally that you can remove the head from a Walkabout combo but I would rather keep it in its place [the slightly agricultural panel and screws don't look like they would take to repeated removals], hence my desire to have a very small separate amp head.)[/quote]

The Walkabout head fits in the pocket of my gig bag mate. For the sound and power, that's pretty amazing. I would simply buy a cover for it and not bother using the Scout as a combo any more (i.e. just treat the combo box as one of your cabs). Leave your options open

C

FWIW, I pop mine in and out all the time ( :) ) and it's fine.. the threads are pretty tough, and with a power-driver it only takes a minute.

The main thing to bear in mind though... there's not another head out there that sounds like a Walkabout. If you like the sound of the head through other cabs, you're going to struggle to find that sound from any other head!

[quote name='Beedster' post='762833' date='Mar 3 2010, 12:25 PM']The Walkabout head fits in the pocket of my gig bag mate. For the sound and power, that's pretty amazing. I would simply buy a cover for it and not bother using the Scout as a combo any more (i.e. just treat the combo box as one of your cabs). Leave your options open

C[/quote]
Interesting thought Chris that had never occurred to me. I am surprised the head fits in a gig bag though as its heavier and chunkier than the new generation 'micro amps' (eg Little Mark etc)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='762836' date='Mar 3 2010, 12:26 PM']FWIW, I pop mine in and out all the time ( :rolleyes: ) and it's fine.. the threads are pretty tough, and with a power-driver it only takes a minute.

The main thing to bear in mind though... there's not another head out there that sounds like a Walkabout. If you like the sound of the head through other cabs, you're going to struggle to find that sound from any other head![/quote]
Thanks Michael

I am getting a consistent message here :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='762841' date='Mar 3 2010, 12:28 PM']Interesting thought Chris that had never occurred to me. I am surprised the head fits in a gig bag though as its heavier and chunkier than the new generation 'micro amps' (eg Little Mark etc)[/quote]

It's a big pocket to be sure (and a double gig bag), but it fits! Now, do what WoT and I say and keep it!

By that I mean keep the cab, use the Walkabout head as your lightweight head, and don't buy the Orange

C

Edited by Beedster

Michael, out of interest, does the cab part of the combo function fine without the head in? Or does the part where you remove the head (which is obviously not solid) buzz or in any way affect the sound?