Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

So how many of you googled what colour Scooby's van was :tatice_03:

Dave

Hand on heart, there was no googling involved - wasn't the Mystery Machine predominantly green?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In Tewkesbury last night at The Roses theatre. Capacity audience of just under 400 in this arts centre

probably dating back to the 70’s. Easy load in and set up, then a great Thai meal just round the corner

at the historic Black Bear Inn. Superb Pad Thai for a tenner, and some marvellous ales too. 
Oh yeh, the gig - it went well, no problems, well received and that’s it really! Just about to set off

to Swansea now for our gig there tonight at The Grand Theatre. 

a14adb26-43b7-424f-846e-8da0dc2255f3.jpeg

• Like 19

12 minutes ago, casapete said:

In Tewkesbury last night at The Roses theatre. Capacity audience of just under 400 in this arts centre

probably dating back to the 70’s. Easy load in and set up, then a great Thai meal just round the corner

at the historic Black Bear Inn. Superb Pad Thai for a tenner, and some marvellous ales too. 
Oh yeh, the gig - it went well, no problems, well received and that’s it really! Just about to set off

I'd try to get to that gig but I'm playing elsewhere tonight. It's windy but sunny here this morning. Have a good one. 😃

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, casapete said:

Nice cellists !

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

I'd try to get to that gig but I'm playing elsewhere tonight. It's windy but sunny here this morning. Have a good one. 😃

If anything changes give me a shout and can probably get you a couple of tickets if there’s some left. 🙂

• Like 1

Our second gig this week tonight at The Grand Theatre in Swansea. 
A magnificent late Victorian theatre with a seating capacity of just over 1000. Nice combination

of old impressive architecture with modern facilities backstage. We’ve played here many times

now and always get a great enthusiastic crowd in. Tonight was no exception, good natured 

heckling and enthusiastic applause after every number, with plenty of communal singing.

A really enjoyable gig.
( I now have only six gigs left with the band before my departure at the end of next month.) 🙁

IMG_0253.jpeg

5a30cabe-258c-4810-9b1d-14768f1598ab.jpeg

Edited by casapete
Add photo
  • Like 17

Tonight!
The Cantina Band's world tour of the Vaults in Knowle continued - A truly momentous occasion, as we had five (or possibly four?) new songs in the set!
We'd done something on Wednesday called "Rehearsal" (?!) which is where you all cram in to a small room and try to play songs you don't know with nobody listening, so it's a lot like a gig except we had to pay for it. I don't think it'll catch on.

Usual stuff - the bar was rammed, a few folk ventured to the corner betseen the toilets and the fire escape to see us., we played pretty well and those that were up dancing seemed to really enjoy it.
Of the new songs, Lithium went down the best, Helter Skelter was the most fun to play and Centrefold was the cheesiest.
Went for a wireless wander into the bar during Sex on Fire, which was a lot of fun and went down well.
We all really enjoyed it for some reason, maybe sticking a few new ones wasn't such a stupid idea?

Highlight was me being *just* about to start Ace of Spades, then the guitarist counting in to Whole Lotta Love... nearly went very badly.

Sterling (my fave Bass for Rock stuff) -> small board -> Sansamp programmable -> Mark CMD121P
Feet: Red socks -> Rainbow Converse.

Had a laugh, got paid, home about half midnight for a curry, a Weston's Reserve (8.2% ABV) and an Old J Tiki Fire overproof spiced rum (75.5% ABV) 

Very different gig Saturday- female fronted pop stuff with the 5 string and the first outing for my new improved enormous pedalboard... Tune in the same time tomorrow!

20240308_215746.jpg

• Like 17
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, markbunney said:

Our gig was cancelled tonight as our singer/guitarist broke his ankle on Monday!

we have nothing booked now until the end of June, which is very depressing!

He can still sing and play with a broken ankle. I toured with a broken ankle back in 80's. Just meant i couldn't lift any of the heavy gear (what a shame)

plus i had to stand in same spot most of the night.

There's a lack of commitment and dedication these days :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 6

53 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

He can still sing and play with a broken ankle. I toured with a broken ankle back in 80's. Just meant i couldn't lift any of the heavy gear (what a shame)

plus i had to stand in same spot most of the night.

There's a lack of commitment and dedication these days :laugh1:

Dave

Just the one broken ankle, Dave? Hardly worth mentioning. When I were a lad, I gigged with two broken ankles, a dislocated knee, a finger gaffa taped on after losing it to a lift door blah blah... 😂

• Haha 7

9 hours ago, casapete said:

Our second gig this week tonight at The Grand Theatre in Swansea. 
A magnificent late Victorian theatre with a seating capacity of just over 1000. Nice combination

of old impressive architecture with modern facilities backstage. We’ve played here many times

now and always get a great enthusiastic crowd in. Tonight was no exception, good natured 

heckling and enthusiastic applause after every number, with plenty of communal singing.

A really enjoyable gig.
( I now have only six gigs left with the band before my departure at the end of next month.) 🙁

IMG_0253.jpeg

5a30cabe-258c-4810-9b1d-14768f1598ab.jpeg

It's a lovely old building. Glad it was a good gig and gutted I couldn't make it. But... we got part payment for our gig in bacon. You can't beat that! 😃

• Haha 1

Out in Paisley last night with Ruff Edge. We played in The Old Swan ,Paisley and although not packed we had a cracking night with good banter and feedback from the punters. Always made to feel welcome at this venue. Great load in at the front and we were able to leave our cars outside the pub unlike a couple of weeks back on a Saturday afternoon when the wardens were out and some poor sod got a ticket (not us lol) 

header.jpg

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

Just the one broken ankle, Dave? Hardly worth mentioning. When I were a lad, I gigged with two broken ankles, a dislocated knee, a finger gaffa taped on after losing it to a lift door blah blah... 😂

Aye you were lucky. :biggrin:

All i can say is that you are a proper musician. Little niggly health issues just don't matter to a true professional. :laugh1:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, theplumber said:

Out in Paisley last night with Ruff Edge. We played in The Old Swan ,Paisley and although not packed we had a cracking night with good banter and feedback from the punters. Always made to feel welcome at this venue. Great load in at the front and we were able to leave our cars outside the pub unlike a couple of weeks back on a Saturday afternoon when the wardens were out and some poor sod got a ticket (not us lol) 

header.jpg

Paisley has just changed its parking regulations so they'll have the wardens out trying to catch as many folks out before they get used to the new regs. Its a bit of a pain in Paisley as any time i've been there its never been "that" busy. Shame as it could kill off the town centre completely.

I'm always worried about parking at The Cave in the road up to The Bungalow.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Paisley has just changed its parking regulations so they'll have the wardens out trying to catch as many folks out before they get used to the new regs. Its a bit of a pain in Paisley as any time i've been there its never been "that" busy. Shame as it could kill off the town centre completely.

I'm always worried about parking at The Cave in the road up to The Bungalow.

Dave

Yes during the day is murder. We manage to get parked in and around The Swan ok anytime but things are changing. Back in Glasgow next weekend at Mc Sorleys and that will be a laugh!!

• Like 1