Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='WalMan' post='180421' date='Apr 19 2008, 12:34 PM']Cheers Nik. It was fun. Different with the twin guitars too. They didn't do too bad having worked them out on speakerphone last week :huh:

Its funny how Tubes fans always seem to come out of the woodwork when we do 'White Punks..'. :)

Have to say I do love the sound of the G&L myself (and ain't she pretty :wub: ). It just sits in there beautifully.

So on to Chichester tonight & hopefully I won't cramp up towards the end like I did last night. Have a good one in Shoreham[/quote]
Cheers Al - hope The Fountain goes well too..

Bassninja - we should hook up sometime as you're pretty near Littlehampton..

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='180380' date='Apr 19 2008, 11:16 AM']The "Worlds End" is a lovely pub in a beautiful location and I must try to get us a gig there.

Glad to hear you had a good night.

Tony[/quote]

We played last year and our agreed fee was 'quite small'. We absolutely packed the place out as I got many colleagues from work to go and my wife got all the parents she knows from my sons' nursey and school to go. Serious money was put over the bar and I was a little disappointed that we weren't given a small bonus and the promised re-bookings at the Worlds' End and Blues Bar (which we also packed out) haven't materialised...

Just back from Shoreham Harbour club near Brighton where we played 2 sets.. Great gig and really good crowd! So many gorgeous women it was untrue.. Must be something in the water... Certainly makes the evening more pleasant!

Can't decide whethe to stay up for the Calzaghe Vs Hopkins fight or not as I'm prety knackered??? Come on Joe - let's finally see a British fighter win over there in the States!!

Edited by silverfoxnik

[quote name='bassninja' post='180464' date='Apr 19 2008, 01:42 PM']Gig at The Fountain, Chichester last night (looks like the same venue that WalMan is playing tonight with the fabulous Alibi: nice posters, btw).

We hadn't played as a 'full band' for about six months, much less rehearsed, but it went really well. Loads of gals dancin' and great jams with good ears from all concerned.

We used to gig tons and tons but now we all have other projects on the go and can rarely get the band together. But its really good to think that after fifteen odd years of playing together, there's a communication that doesn't need to be thought about too much. Just lots of smiles and unpleasant stories about our drummer's escapades in the dodgy boozers of Littlehampton...

Have a good gig, Al...[/quote]
It was indeed, and it was bl00dy marvellous!!! I always enjoy playing there (cue a bad one next time)

Couple of hundred in & queuing to get in & out. A crowd that sang along to everything, lots of young lovelies, what more could you want. That's the sort off gig that makes it all worthwhile.

First set was the normal hour or so, but the second ended up an an hour & forty minutes because they wouldn't let us go :huh: ;) ;) :huh: ;)

Just got in from a wind down at the drummers girlfriends place as it was his birthday - no not that sort!! - just a few dips, a cup of coffee for me & a natter. Very rock 'n' roll :)

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='180839' date='Apr 20 2008, 02:29 AM']Just back from Shoreham Harbour club near Brighton where we played 2 sets.. Great gig and really good crowd! So many gorgeous women it was untrue.. Must be something in the water... Certainly makes the evening more pleasant!

Can't decide whethe to stay up for the Calzaghe Vs Hopkins fight or not as I'm prety knackered??? Come on Joe - let's finally see a British fighter win over there in the States!![/quote]
Morning Nik :) Glad your went well as well.

I think my vote is a shower & my pit. I'm knack'd!!

Our first visit to the Three Horses in Keighley and another cracking gig with a very friendly audience singing and dancing along.

Set up was a little tight ( and we don't really have that much gear ) but we squeezed it in and went on to have a brilliant evening and got re-booked for later on in the year BEFORE they asked what our fee was so we must have impressed the landlord and landlady as well.

Tony

[quote name='WalMan' post='180843' date='Apr 20 2008, 02:37 AM']Morning Nik :) Glad your went well as well.

I think my vote is a shower & my pit. I'm knack'd!![/quote]
Sounds like it was a really good one Al! We must check The Fountain out... I'll have a look at your site to see when you're next in there and come along..

I stayed up and listened to the fight on the old radio and it was very tense but what a result!! Amazing that Calzaghe won on a split decision though as you'd never normally expect a British fighter to get the decision in the States..

We had a great gig last night at The Black Bull in Preston - though it was almost spoilt by a couple of drunks who fell over the monitors crashing into pedal boards etc no less than 3 times and nearly knocking our lights over on two occasions.

There's some idiots about isn't there.

Edited by niceguyhomer

Acoustic trio in Casabognor.

Looked a bit dodgy at first. A few witty chips of 'where's the drums then?' were quickly silenced as we pulled out a good one. Lots of folks came to see us specifically and the more sceptical locals were drawn in, too. We're back there after our gtrist's month-long break in Thailand (lucky bstd)...

On a rewarding note, a friend showed us video of how the funds we helped raise at a 'cheridee' gig a little while ago had been spent in Malawi. Kids queuing for new mosquito nets, and then dancing home thoroughly made up & grinning with thumbs up to the camera.

:) Which was nice...

A new venue for us last night - had to cross passport control into Lancashire to play the Hark to Towler , at Tottington nr Bury.

House PA (adequate) lights (good) interested, 'character' landlord and a good, knowledgeable, scumbag free crowd.

The pub's modern in many respects but retains it's original features like the tiled bar etc. In the old 'ladies' snug they still have the little wall mounted bells to call the barmaid.

Anyway we did a double header - being an hours Eliminator (ZZ Top trib) preceeded by 45mins of Dr Blue (blues and knob gags) and had as good a time as I remember having at a gig this year which up to press , has been pretty grim in terms of punter numbers.

usual monthly covers gig at the local Aussie/Saffa pub -
our singer let someone get up and take the mike- who started rapping Vanilla ice's Ice ice baby (ie. the whole song)!

so out came the Under pressure bassline, and I managed to remember the synth bassline in the verse.
fun times.

The Peel in Kingston upon Thames. Unfortunately, there was a power cut during the support band's set which took out the whole street. Electricity board said it wouldn't be back till midnight, so everyone was sent home. It actually came back on at 10.30 as we shut the van door!!! AAAARGH :) :huh:

The Nell Gwynne, Southsea, Sat 19th. After the hour of fixing the saddle of the guitarists Fender Jag, another hour failing to get the lighting loom on the trailer working we played a fair gig in the most bass-sucking room this year. Fixed benches all round, leaving a nice 2-foot gap between amp and wall. The pool table was handy for the guitarists 2x12 though.

And why did Ashdown make the cab handles stick out just a little bit too much to safely turn the cabs on their sides? Doh! Nice to find a fault with the Ashdown like so many others here have though, I don't feel excluded anymore. Just need a Precision to really belong! :)

Nice jazz trio gig at the Fox in Bury St Edmunds last night. Ben Pringle on piano. Apart from being a lovely guy, he has a nice touch, with some classic stride piano mixed in with some more contemporary voicings. Ben apparently wrote the music for 'Time Team'. We didn't sound like that tho' :)

He also told me how to locate that irritating buzz on my home studio!

[quote name='johnnylager' post='181519' date='Apr 21 2008, 08:21 AM']The Nell Gwynne, Southsea, Sat 19th. After the hour of fixing the saddle of the guitarists Fender Jag, another hour failing to get the lighting loom on the trailer working we played a fair gig in the most bass-sucking room this year. Fixed benches all round, leaving a nice 2-foot gap between amp and wall. The pool table was handy for the guitarists 2x12 though.

And why did Ashdown make the cab handles stick out just a little bit too much to safely turn the cabs on their sides? Doh! Nice to find a fault with the Ashdown like so many others here have though, I don't feel excluded anymore. Just need a Precision to really belong! :huh:[/quote]

Did you get Free beer in the 'Gwynne? The owners like to lay on free drinks on their open mic nights :)

[quote name='Buzz' post='181523' date='Apr 21 2008, 08:38 AM']Did you get Free beer in the 'Gwynne? The owners like to lay on free drinks on their open mic nights :)[/quote]
Oh yes and paid too much :huh: ! Top pub, I'm there before the footy every week too, no free beer then though! A recommended venue!

Our gig on Saturday at the harbour Club, Shoreham was really good but there was a slightly worse for wear girl 'dancing' away during the first set to such an extent that she kept most of the other punters off the dance floor..

Apparently, she used to be a stripper and was politely removed from the venue during the interval! Fortunately, her best efforts have been immortalised on YouTube here:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB1niIcIfow"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB1niIcIfow[/url]

BOTB last night in Darlington @ the Forum

Well first gig in Darlington for us so we didn't know what to expect and although we knew absolutely NOBODY and knowing that the audience would be voting to decide the winner, we piled on stage anyway. It's all going great, playing to a decent sized crowd, thankfully they had the decency to give us a listen although they didn't know us and..... SILENCE.

I go to turn on my octaver and knock out the power supply! Gutted like a fish! I felt like a right tool, especially as i'm in a very bass reliant band and right as my moment to shine popped up it blew it!! It took me till the end of the song to realise what had happened. SOUND MEN DESCEND TO THE STAGE!!! Three or so men in black descend to check the bass amp and the DI box to source the problem of the abrupt cutout. I eventually owned up! I am never playing with my stomp boxes again without batteries in their to back them up just in case!

Having said that out set went well on the whole. We didn't win, a TEN PIECE SKA BAND with massive home support did, but i think i saw that coming. I would've loved to have been playing bass with them that evening, atleast then i wouldn't have had to worry about the stupid number of pedals under my feet.

Rich :)

No gig for me this weekend but thought I would bump this up to remind others to post as I really enjoy reading the mini gig reviews.

All the other areas of the forum are excellent to read but when all is said and done it's playing the live gigs that ultimately drive my passion to learn, buy new gear etc

Tony

A (different) acoustic trio in a tiny pub at the end of a 1/2 mile drive, after turning off a lonely back road right up at the top of the South Downs. Like playing a lock-in in someone's living room with fantastic real ale. A couple of pints waiting for us when we got there, a good chinwag with the locals and...'Oh, I suppose we'd better start then'.

We've been doing it for the last 4-5 years, so its more like being paid to go to the pub: I use my wee practice amp, and one Mackie cab turned [i]way [/i]down for the PA, just above acoustic volume. Relaxed gig with lots of requests coming from the audience and good banter, finishing way after time.

Smiles all around. In the tiny car park afterwards if you stand still you can hear [i]nothing[/i]. S'lovely.

What a bunch of hippies...:)

Last night was the pits - we knew it'd be poo cos it always is wherever we play in Burnley. Disinterested, unappreciative audience and not the slightest hint of applause but WTF we enjoyed ourselves in spite of it. We got a booking out of it too Nov 1 - black tie job £600 I thangyou.

That cheered us up for a while and then the drummer dropped the bombshell we've all been expecting - she's leaving. Ah well, the show must go on as they say.

'Transatlantic session' in another country pub. Friends in town for one night only from Dublin & Houston so down the pub, line up the Guinness, all acoustic and great fun. Usual struggle to hear myself leading to sore fingers this morning, but the vibe made it worth it.

Played in manchester on friday.

Cool gig i didnt have any tech probs for a change.

First gig i didnt unplug myself, did a fairly good solo bit in the middle of a song then went to the worst club ever.

good times except a slightly frightening sound woman shouting at us hahahah