Why become a member? ×

Bands who don't bring any backline...

StevieC

I think a lot of this is also down to what scene your in - for rock bands IME, amp sharing is pretty normal has it saves time between sets, getting gear off, getting gear on, setting it all up, sound checking etc.

That's another thing I forgot to mention - if the band headlining refuse to share their gear then you won't get a soundcheck. A lot of venues do this and if you do ask for a soundcheck the sound guy says there isn't enough time to do it in (about 3 hours before you actually play). The headlining band does the soundcheck for everyone (if they share their gear that is...). Pain in the arse knowing your gonna sound all over the shop because the band refuse to lend gear.

Obviously covers bands/solo players/depping players/jazz cats etc. don't have this problem.

Edited by Stan_da_man

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='771974' date='Mar 11 2010, 06:47 PM']While I agree with most of the stuff said on this thread, I don't see your point there. Do you expect bands to bring their own generator to gigs to power their amps or something?[/quote]

No,

As a working musician for 20 years and FOH sound engineer for 5, I would ALWAYS expect anyone playing to bring enough power extensions and leads to make sure THEIR gear is powered up. It's no-one else's responsibility to provide an extension, if you come to a gig with no 4 gang and need one to power all your pedals and amp then it's a fair assumption that one night you will encounter a gig you wont be able to play due to your bad organisation or laziness.

It's not too much to expect, but i get it almost every time i do FOH. However EVERY TIME I play a gig, I can power every bit of gear i need to play the gig plus spares.

Dave

Edited by cd_david

[quote name='throwoff' post='771577' date='Mar 11 2010, 01:32 PM']But then strangely I worked with two bands recently (one now signed and playing a BIG tour and being played regular on radio one but I wont name) both of whom were balls out rock playing in tiny venues. When I asked them about monitors they said 'we dont care, we know our songs' Went on and played brilliantly.[/quote]

A band I was in a couple of years back opened for Lars Fredericksen and the Bastards for a gig in TJs in Newport. They brought this HUGE desk and PA with them. They then proceeded to spend 2 1/5 hours sound checking, using all the available time and Lars still wasn't happy. I really felt for the sound guy he was running back and forth and got it sounding great as far as everyone else was concerned.

The 2nd on the bill, a German psychobilly band said as there was no time we could use their backline and drum kit. The sound guy asked us about sound checking we just said for him to do it during the first song and to leave the monitors off as we'd never bothered with them before.

From comments by people in the crowd later the guy had done a fantastic job and we sounded the best out of the 3 bands. He also thanked us for making his nightmare a bit more bareable.

One thing I'd learned early was never piss off the sound guy.

[quote name='cd_david' post='772030' date='Mar 11 2010, 07:51 PM']No,

As a working musician for 20 years and FOH sound engineer for 5, I would ALWAYS expect anyone playing to bring enough power extensions and leads to make sure THEIR gear is powered up. It's no-one else's responsibility to provide an extension, if you come to a gig with no 4 gang and need one to power all your pedals and amp then it's a fair assumption that one night you will encounter a gig you wont be able to play due to your bad organisation or laziness.

It's not too much to expect, but i get it almost every time i do FOH. However EVERY TIME I play a gig, I can power every bit of gear i need to play the gig plus spares.

Dave[/quote]

Ah sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying.

My band usually has extension leads, though it's never been an issue for me. I have a head and a tuner in my rack, if there's only 1 socket, I tune up then plug in my head. If there's 2 spare, I can leave my tuner on. I think it's fair that the venue provides a couple of sockets each side of the stage for the basics, but yeah, anyone with FX or digital instruments etc should be prepared with their own power splitters.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beware-Vinyl-sticker-sign-for-your-Guitar-case-or-amp_W0QQitemZ380211190934QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item58865a5c96"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beware-Vinyl-sticker...=item58865a5c96[/url]

This is going on my hardcase

It's nice to know I'm doing things right so far :)

Monitors: I know what I'm playing, and I can hear the drummer so I have no need for them.
Sound guys: I know exactly how many DI, Line and Mics we need (it's only 13 channels for a 5 piece band) so we let them know well in advance, also buy them a beer for a good sound.
Extensions: I have a 4way on me as does every member of HmF, we have more than enough and often have to be asked by other bands to use our extensions.
Gear: I don't let anyone use my gear through bad experiences in the past and endevour to take it to every gig I play where ever possible, unless arranged in advance.

[quote name='throwoff' post='773416' date='Mar 13 2010, 09:40 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beware-Vinyl-sticker-sign-for-your-Guitar-case-or-amp_W0QQitemZ380211190934QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item58865a5c96"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beware-Vinyl-sticker...=item58865a5c96[/url]

This is going on my hardcase[/quote]

LOL

I want one too

[quote name='cd_david' post='772030' date='Mar 11 2010, 08:51 PM']No,

As a working musician for 20 years and FOH sound engineer for 5, I would ALWAYS expect anyone playing to bring enough power extensions and leads to make sure THEIR gear is powered up. It's no-one else's responsibility to provide an extension, if you come to a gig with no 4 gang and need one to power all your pedals and amp then it's a fair assumption that one night you will encounter a gig you wont be able to play due to your bad organisation or laziness.[/quote]

100% agreed, a 4 gang is so easy to carry their really is no excuse, even for a new band who are lacking equipment.
When I first started gigging I took my 4 gang from my bedroom that was usually for my TV and xbox to every gig even though all I have was an amp and a bass.

Just seemed obvious to me :/

[quote]One thing I'd learned early was never piss off the sound guy.[/quote]
[quote name='Rich' post='773552' date='Mar 13 2010, 12:43 PM']This is the Golden Truth.[/quote]

My background s a little different from many here: I've been a church guitarist since the late 70s, and have been involved on and off with PA during that time. Right now I run sound or our present church, although I may well be playing bass for them too soon.

One thing which always comes up in conversation with other church players is how the sound guy will take control and really stuff up a mix. It's almost a given that all you can hear is acoustic guitar and piano (and maybe bass if the guy is 'supplementing' FOH). I don't understand how it is that there seem to be all these great sound guys working with rock bands, yet we get such crappy soundmen in churches.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='775287' date='Mar 15 2010, 03:58 PM']My background s a little different from many here: I've been a church guitarist since the late 70s, and have been involved on and off with PA during that time. Right now I run sound or our present church, although I may well be playing bass for them too soon.

One thing which always comes up in conversation with other church players is how the sound guy will take control and really stuff up a mix. It's almost a given that all you can hear is acoustic guitar and piano (and maybe bass if the guy is 'supplementing' FOH). I don't understand how it is that there seem to be all these great sound guys working with rock bands, yet we get such crappy soundmen in churches.[/quote]

Strange you should mention that, I recently worked with a guy who was a sound engineer for a church, he ran their PA and did youth club type community things teaching local kids about sound, he had some of the best, most balanced mixes I had ever heard. Perhaps it was the many years of dealing with big echoey spaces but he just had a natural 'ability' to get a great mix without too much messing around, pretty much within 5 mins of the whole band getting on stage he had them nailed (or at least to a level most local musicians would be more than happy with).

Awesome sound guy!

Edited by throwoff

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='775287' date='Mar 15 2010, 02:58 PM']I don't understand how it is that there seem to be all these great sound guys working with rock bands, yet we get such crappy soundmen in churches.[/quote]

There's a whole world of difference between mixing in a hall and mixing in a rock venue usually.

Plus rock bands are usually pretty easy to mix, drums, bass and electric guitar all have their own frequency ranges, then vocals just go over the top. We also have flute which is just treble so sits in the background at a higher frequency than guitars and keyboards which just sit back so don't swamp anything. A lot of acoustic instruments have a very full sound so can muddy each other up if they're not mixed well.

If you regularly have problems with bad sound, try getting everyone who uses instruments with a full frequency range to use an EQ pedal then you can have some control yourself before it gets to the soundguy. So long as as many people as possible are within their own frequency range, it should help a lot.

If you're experienced in sound, buy a longer lead/wireless and then go stand out where the audience will be while you sound check, me and the singer/guitarist do that at our gigs, it's more important than getting the monitor mix right IMO. My band hears our music all the time, we know what it sounds like. If it sounds awful to the guys out front, they won't enjoy the show as much and won't come to our next gig or buy our merch.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey