Why become a member? ×

Markbass Amps

Pete Academy

A couple of weeks ago my LMK head stopped working during a gig. I faffed about and eventually plugged straight into the head, bypassing my Boss TU-2. I switched the amp off, then back on, and it worked perfectly for the rest of the second set. I used it at the last gig without the tuner and it worked perfectly. I think there may be a fault with the tuner or mains supply to it, causing some kind of spike.

The operating manual doesn't mention anything about the amp's protection system, nor does it have a troubleshooting guide.

I contacted Peter Murray from Markbass, who sent this reply:

"Our amps have shutdown circuits that shut down the amp in cases of incorrect
impedance (below 4 ohms), overheating, excessive input or short circuit (for
example, bad wiring in a speaker cable).
The amp shuts itself down to protect it from damage. That's why you're able
to turn it back on. So it's possible that one of these things are issues... is the impedance of
your cabinet/s below 4 ohms? Is your amp properly ventilated and is the fan
working? Are you putting unreasonable input into the amp? Is your speaker
cable good?"

Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone else has a problem. :)

Edited by Pete Academy

You could always stick your tuner elsewhere in the signal chain. Does the LMK have a tuner out / line out somewhere? That way you'd avoid excessive input if that's the problem and if it's the tuner causing it.

EDIT: Just looked it up - it has a tuner out.

Edited by The Funk

Could be just a coincidence about the tuner IMHO.
Could have been the amp needed a certain time to re set itself and this coincided with the tuner being taken out of the equation.

This happened to me a couple of years ago. I took my SA450 to a rehearsal room to use with their cab. After about 30 mins my amp died. After some messing about, changing kettle leads etc it all worked again, for another 10mins or so. It always seemed to cut out when i popped (yeah, there's an omen if i ever saw one).
After the third time this happened i switched cabs and all was fine for the rest of the night.

It turns out the Ampeg cab was known to be faulty and this must have been causing the head to turn off. Its never happened since.

My SA450 also gets hot at some gigs and did shut down once. Its good to know it can look after itself.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='The Funk' post='754958' date='Feb 23 2010, 01:15 PM']You could always stick your tuner elsewhere in the signal chain. Does the LMK have a tuner out / line out somewhere? That way you'd avoid excessive input if that's the problem and if it's the tuner causing it.

EDIT: Just looked it up - it has a tuner out.[/quote]

I tried the 'tuner out' socket. It doesn't respond very well, plus you can't mute the signal.

• 11 years later...

turn my Markbass on and it turns itself of after 30 seconds or so wait a while turn it on and same again, have bought another head (from a member of this site) but would be nice to see if other one could be fixed?

ps

fans works

speakers fine

all cables fine

On 23/02/2010 at 08:47, Pete Academy said:

A couple of weeks ago my LMK head stopped working during a gig. I faffed about and eventually plugged straight into the head, bypassing my Boss TU-2. I switched the amp off, then back on, and it worked perfectly for the rest of the second set. I used it at the last gig without the tuner and it worked perfectly. I think there may be a fault with the tuner or mains supply to it, causing some kind of spike.

The operating manual doesn't mention anything about the amp's protection system, nor does it have a troubleshooting guide.

I contacted Peter Murray from Markbass, who sent this reply:

"Our amps have shutdown circuits that shut down the amp in cases of incorrect
impedance (below 4 ohms), overheating, excessive input or short circuit (for
example, bad wiring in a speaker cable).
The amp shuts itself down to protect it from damage. That's why you're able
to turn it back on. So it's possible that one of these things are issues... is the impedance of
your cabinet/s below 4 ohms? Is your amp properly ventilated and is the fan
working? Are you putting unreasonable input into the amp? Is your speaker
cable good?"

Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone else has a problem. :)

Most modern amps have some kind of protection circuit and will cutout if over temperature or an over current is detected.  It is perhaps a sign that the amp or cab has a problem. The other option is that you need a higher output amplifier.

you mean

32 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Chaps, I think Pete Academy passed away some time ago.

Given the context of the OP, I'm sure he'd be happy for us to continue discussing Markbass amp issues in this thread- but he is very unlikely to be responding himself.

You mean you are still living? You have no right here, this is a zombie thread.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

Most modern amps have some kind of protection circuit and will cutout if over temperature or an over current is detected.  It is perhaps a sign that the amp or cab has a problem. The other option is that you need a higher output amplifier.

Mine just stays on for 30 seconds then shuts down again. and continues to do that

its fine if you wanna sound like less dawson on a double bass!!!