Why become a member? ×

valvey tone pre-amp / head?

mr.sibs

Hello all,

Been a little while since I have frequented these parts, but we all know basschat is like a class A, never too far from the mind!

Anyway, I am looking for some advice on a pre-amp or head, primarily for recording purposes (but doubling up as a powered head may be useful for the future). I want something with a gritty motown type sound, plenty warm and vintage sounding that has DI capabilities (or at least line out).

Budget is about 300/400

I know the advice is go and try some, but primarily I have been looking at old ampeg svp types, so quite hard to go and have a bash.

Other possibilities are:
Orange Tiny Terror
Hartke LH500
Old school trace

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated!

Have you considered using an ashdown amp the abm range have a valve drive on them which you can use for clean and dirty which is diteremed by using the valve drive dial. It also has a DI out and a line out/tuner out option too.

The 300w version is only about 350 depending on where you buy them from they also do a 500w version which is actually 575w but these are a little more expensive at arount the 500 quid mark but if you shop around and use a sertain auction site that we all know of you can find them much cheaper. Hope this helps.

Markus

Hey for what its worth I tried an orange tt against my aguilar db659 the other day and wasnt impressed - lots of volume but nowt much else to my ears. I'm not saying the db is better for old school recording but its got great tone tho maybe hard to find. What something like the catalinbread pedal sft pedal or the electronix submarine designer - lots of ols school options and run thru a valve di like the art - Boom! vintage for less. I had a minimat for a while and it was great for valve goodness recording direct.

Hope that helps and let us know what you find