Why become a member? ×

Question on shipping!

valere24

Hi guys,

as you've probably seen I'm trying to sell my Stingray at the moment. I originally just wanted to sell it locally as I've never shipped a bass (or anything else as big, just small parcels). I've realised it limits the amount of potential buyers and am now considering shipping the bass.

Rather than spending a couple of hours checking out all possible options, I wanted to ask you guys who do you tend to use for shipping? Do you bring the bass to a depot? Do the shipping company comes and collect from home? What is a good/average price to pay? What companies do you recommend / not recommend?

Please share your experience - I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in this!

Thanks,

Valere

[quote name='valere24' post='753557' date='Feb 22 2010, 10:38 AM']Hi guys,

as you've probably seen I'm trying to sell my Stingray at the moment. I originally just wanted to sell it locally as I've never shipped a bass (or anything else as big, just small parcels). I've realised it limits the amount of potential buyers and am now considering shipping the bass.

Rather than spending a couple of hours checking out all possible options, I wanted to ask you guys who do you tend to use for shipping? Do you bring the bass to a depot? Do the shipping company comes and collect from home? What is a good/average price to pay? What companies do you recommend / not recommend?

Please share your experience - I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in this!

Thanks,

Valere[/quote]

www.interparcel.com

Type in the weight and dimensions of the bass, pick a day for them to pick it up, and they do all the work. I have sent about 10 Guitars and Basses this way, all with no problems, if you print off your own shipping labels a bass will cost about £10 to ship next day with UPS.

I'd definitely recommend it.

I usually use Parcelforce 48, you can add insurance as required, it is trackable, too. Never had a problem. Just pop into the local post office and do it from there - saves hanging around all day waiting for someone to collect it, too.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Paul S' post='754032' date='Feb 22 2010, 04:48 PM']I usually use Parcelforce 48, you can add insurance as required, it is trackable, too. Never had a problem. Just pop into the local post office and do it from there - saves hanging around all day waiting for someone to collect it, too.[/quote]

You have been lucky that nothing ever happened with Parcelforce, as they only insure musical instruments up to £150. At the Post Office they're quite happy to accept your £40 insurance extra payment for a £1000 bass (on top of the basic carriage cost), but do not tell you about the limit (I believe it is "hidden" in the FAQ section on their website): if something goes wrong, all you get is £150, plus - maybe - the original extra £40 insurance money.

You could start a long battle, insisting that the P.O. employee should have not taken your extra insurance payment in the first place, but at the end of the day you implicitly accept all their Terms and Conditions once you pay for the basic carriage costs. I have used them too without problems, but only before discovering all this.

It ain't called Parcelfarce for nothing.

Following my earlier post I have to add though that I was sent a bass over the xmas/new year holls using interparcel and it was massively late. The weather was pretty bad then but the lateness was more down to the DHL driver that interparcel passed the package over to not worrying his arse about getting it to me on time more than anything else. Still it arrived in one piece.

Parcelforce = no. I received a bass via PF48 and it took nearly a week,

I use Interparcel as they're cheap and extra insurance doesn't cost the earth.
Only had one problem with them, when i received a cab and the crossover had developed a fault, the risk you take i think. All couriers will handle boxes quite roughly and i've used them since

Parcelbee are also very cheap

[quote name='valere24' post='753557' date='Feb 22 2010, 10:38 AM']Hi guys,

Thanks,

Valere[/quote]
I used these guys [url="http://www.psap.co.uk/contact"]http://www.psap.co.uk/contact[/url] to ship a Wal to belgium not the cheapest but fully insured and they delivered in 3 days rather than the 5 I paid for. And the guy in the depot ....... a bass player complained I had parceled it up before he could see it
1 mumified bass
[attachment=43336:PICT0037.JPG][attachment=43337:PICT0038.JPG]

[quote name='Paul S' post='754032' date='Feb 22 2010, 04:48 PM']I usually use Parcelforce 48, you can add insurance as required, it is trackable, too. Never had a problem. Just pop into the local post office and do it from there - saves hanging around all day waiting for someone to collect it, too.[/quote]
They broke a hard shell case I shipped a bass in recently and are refusing to pay up.

I'll never use them again. £^%&*$& *$^%s

[quote name='project_c' post='754104' date='Feb 22 2010, 05:38 PM']NEVER use Parcelforce, they always break stuff and their insurance is a shameless rip-off, it's not worth the paper it's printed on. If you want your stuff to get there safely, avoid Parcelforce at all costs.[/quote]

I've shipped dozens of guitars & basses using Parcelforce & have never had any trouble at all.