Why become a member? ×

Finger infections

bassbloke

I'm currently rendered pretty much unable to play due to a nasty infection in my right index finger that's needed two courses of antibiotics to deal with it. My fingertip is incredibly tender, so fingerstyle is out of the question.

I've switched to using a pick, but even that's too painful when I grip and, especially, when the edge of my index finger inevitably hit against a string.

Has this happened to any other members? I have a few big gigs in a few weeks so whilst i would probably be well advised to simply leave the instrument alone, I feel obliged to do some practicising. Can you get spray on replacement skin or similar to cover up affected area?

EDIT: I'm now trying the Eddie Van Halen approach and gripping pick between thumb and middle finger. Feels very weird.

I'd rest it personally. If you have to play, try a plaster, it should move the pressure across a bigger area on your finger. It'll make your finger slippier though so you might not be as tight for a while.

Best bet is probably to leave it for a bit, you're better off being slightly under-rehearsed at a gig than still having an infection in your finger because you've been pushing too hard.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='744299' date='Feb 13 2010, 08:25 PM']I'm currently rendered pretty much unable to play due to a nasty infection in my right index finger that's needed two courses of antibiotics to deal with it. My fingertip is incredibly tender, so fingerstyle is out of the question.

I've switched to using a pick, but even that's too painful when I grip and, especially, when the edge of my index finger inevitably hit against a string.

Has this happened to any other members? I have a few big gigs in a few weeks so whilst i would probably be well advised to simply leave the instrument alone, I feel obliged to do some practicising. Can you get spray on replacement skin or similar to cover up affected area?

EDIT: I'm now trying the Eddie Van Halen approach and gripping pick between thumb and middle finger. Feels very weird.[/quote]
this happened to me !!

but in my thumb, from slapping too hard ! :)

i had antibiotics and a sling (to drain the infection away from the arm)

sorry, no suggestions, except fretting exercises to keep your other hand supple..

edit :
oh, i did once hear that flea used super-glue to fill in the hole in his thumb.
could just be an urban myth, but i have heard of it used in injury treatment.

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='bassbloke' post='744299' date='Feb 13 2010, 08:25 PM']I'm currently rendered pretty much unable to play due to a nasty infection in my right index finger that's needed two courses of antibiotics to deal with it. My fingertip is incredibly tender, so fingerstyle is out of the question.

EDIT: I'm now trying the Eddie Van Halen approach and gripping pick between thumb and middle finger. Feels very weird.[/quote]

Soak it in hot salt water for as long as you can & often as you like - cures everything :) then - when it's not so sore, get some surgical spirits on it to toughen the skin up.