Why become a member? ×

Right hand techiques

mgibson

My teacher says that my left hand is great and dosn't need much improvement but that ny right hand needs a lot of work and cause it's half term i won't see him for a week so i wondered if you guys had any tips... from simple basics throught to double or triple slapping... anything, just give me information, please!!! THANX
:)

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='744148' date='Feb 13 2010, 05:02 PM']practice one finger per fret

Hold one finger per fret then try variations of:

1, 2,3,4

etc

in one direction, then the reverse order

better still, get hold of a copy of Serious Electric Bass by Joel D Bartolo

Hope that helps a little

T

:)[/quote]

that looks like left hand stuff to me :rolleyes:

I think, your tutor was talking about plain fingerstyle technique, rather than some slapping or 4-finger Matt Garrison tech stuff..

If you're having problems, then it must be something of these:

1.Difference in sound, made by 1st and 2nd fingers (assuming you're using ordinary two-finger technique) - start out slowly by playing a scale, playing each note twice - make sure it sounds the [i]same[/i], played by any (1st/2nd) finger..
2. Poor muting/hand position - take a look at this:

Anyway, you (or your tutor) should have cleared this out for us, where [i]exactly [/i]do you have problems with your right hand..

Aaaand, finally,if you are having [i]any [/i]problems with hand, forget slap [i]now[/i]!

You'll get to it later..

Edited by Faithless

I use something similar to that floating thumb description, in that I rest the thumb on the string next to the one being played and muting any strings below it.

Practicing scale runs sticking rigidly to alternate first and second fingers is another good one, it was pointed out to me in my first lesson with Steve Lawson (along with the thumb mute idea that I could add to my already moving thumb) that I was leading with the same finger every time I changed to a different string, which meant that I was making things hard for myself - everything is much more fluid now it's become second nature.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='744149' date='Feb 13 2010, 05:04 PM']that looks like left hand stuff to me :)[/quote]

Not only is it left hand stuff, but i would add that it is bad advice. If your hands are large enough to facilitate 1 finger per fret, then great, but otherwise, you run the risk of causing yourself permanent injury for no good reason. Double bass players don't force themselves to play one finger per fret/note.

Be careful with your fingernails. Keep them quite short, but not too short - they protect your fingers (so speaks someone currently unable to play because of a finger infection caused partly by having nails too short.

My God.. it seems theres no end to health and safety issues!
Anyway, if you are brave enough to give your nails a trim (youve been warned about the dangers!) and start hitting those strings, keep it alternating and try to dig in and play some fast double notes for that funky groove.. best of luck!

[quote name='bassbloke' post='744384' date='Feb 13 2010, 11:29 PM']Not only is it left hand stuff, but i would add that it is bad advice. If your hands are large enough to facilitate 1 finger per fret, then great, but otherwise, you run the risk of causing yourself permanent injury for no good reason. Double bass players don't force themselves to play one finger per fret/note.

Be careful with your fingernails. Keep them quite short, but not too short - they protect your fingers (so speaks someone currently unable to play because of a finger infection caused partly by having nails too short.[/quote]

I came back to this thread to add that you should start one finger per fret up the board nr. the 12th fret to get the patterns, before decending towards the nut to gain the reach. I realised the error too late and therefore deleted the post.

However, the advice I left is from the book Serious Electric Bass by Joel D Bartolo. Jaco gives the same advice in his tuitional video. I havn't researched it beyond that point, so I can't say the advice is robustly supported by evidence.

Since you claim that permanent damage will occur if this advice is followed, I''d be interested to hear your views around stretching the left hand to span the lower frets.

Sorry about the thread hijack for the other hand folks. I did feel a certain justification for a reply to that post however.

Love and peas

T

As a bass and guitar teacher, I always try and encourage my students to use one finger per fret when they're doing exercises. If you can do it, it's the single best way to fret since with arpeggios and simple scales it's rare that you need to move outside a four fret range.

With that said, no one's saying that you still have to hold down the first fret with your first finger while you're fretting with your little finger. Just that if you use all your fingers, it means a) you can be quicker on going backwards and forwards because you don't need to worry so much about moving your whole hand by up to four frets quickly between notes and :) it also builds up strength in all of your fingers giving you more options even when you're not using one finger per fret. Plus by practising one finger per fret (even while you're still moving your hand a bit) over time you'll be able to reach further confidently which is always a good thing.

Sorry, I'll stop aiding with the thread hijack now. :rolleyes:

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='744671' date='Feb 14 2010, 12:02 PM']Sorry, I'll stop aiding with the thread hijack now. :)[/quote]
Too late mate.
I've been playing one finger per fret for 25 years. I don't have a particularly long stretch. I'm now using the same technique on double bass.

For the right hand. Try a walking bass line exercise. Play G G B B C C C* C* D D C C B B A A (no open strings). Alternate between first and second finger except for the change from B to A where you'd use the same finger. You should start on a different finger each time. This'll help stop you getting stuck with the same finger having to lead all the time. Obviously, try and make it sound smooth and eventually do it to a metronome. See how fast you can do it. Devise your own similar lines.
Give us some feed back if you try it.

Hey, chaps, don't make OP dizzy with all those 3finger techniques.. It's not the case.

Wattabout 1fpf technique, I strongly recommend it.

First of all, bass guitar is not a double bass anymore, in terms of scale, 34 against 40 is a bit of a difference isn't it?

I'm not much of expert, but, as I've noticed, in most cases problem lies not in the small hands or whatever, but it lies in [i]positioning of instrument against the player.[/i]

I mean, it's natural, that you will meet pain, when you're trying to reach that low F, using 1fpf technique, when your instrument is 'set' 90 degrees against you, I mean, this, a la Mark King style:

Just switch your instrument more like a 45 degrees, stop acting a rockNroll star and adjust that strap to keep bass in normal height, somethin like this:

Aaaand, you're halfway to the correct technique! :)

Just to add, 1fpf is very economical technique, it's lets your hand to be relaxed, and you can do all your chords/arpeggios/scales with no problem.

If guitarists use it, why can't we do it?

Edited by Faithless

• 2 weeks later...

I never understood the point of the IMRM technique. The middle finger does as much work as IM so it defies the objective.

I can understand the advantages of IMR, RMI, or adding the thumb TIMR.

I personally use IM, RMI, and RMIT.

That said, unless you're into fusion / virtuoso style bass playing, I cannot see myself recommending 3/4 finger techniques to somebody still starting on the instrument, better stick to IM to start with. And maybe learn to use a pick.

[quote name='Musicman69' post='744833' date='Feb 14 2010, 02:43 PM']Also for right hand you could try using 3 fingers, not the ring, middle, index triplets everyone does but index, middle, ring, middle.. etc. Try leading with a different finger each time. Its great for steady pedal notes.. ZZ Top style! :)[/quote]

Edited by valere24

[quote name='valere24' post='755968' date='Feb 24 2010, 12:01 PM']I never understood the point of the IMRM technique. The middle finger does as much work as IM so it defies the objective.

I can understand the advantages of IMR, RMI, or adding the thumb TIMR.

I personally use IM, RMI, and RMIT.

That said, unless you're into fusion / virtuoso style bass playing, I cannot see myself recommending 3/4 finger techniques to somebody still starting on the instrument, better stick to IM to start with. And maybe learn to use a pick.[/quote]

I agree that people sometimes get too hung up on advanced 3 or 4 finger techniques as a way of achieving very fast picking speeds when, in reality, a pick would provide plenty of speed and note defintion. However, 3 finger techniques work very well for more efficient string crossing, muting and a generally more relaxed feel and if somebody is starting out, they may as well learn to develop a tecnhique using as many as possible. It's not as if you learn to ride a bicycle using one leg at a time.

OK, this is all very much IMO, so go easy on me guys...

3 fingers is an easier way to play than 2 fingers

There got it off my chest .

If you are starting out or looking to improve (in a very serious way) your right hand ability, then I honestly think 3 finger technique has a lot going for it.

And I'm not talking about fast stuff here.

The additional digit can make string crossing easier (look into Gary Willis' varaition on this, its really complex, but it does make sense), RH muting easier, and means you pluck with each finger less, so your stamina is increased.

The downside is you will have a significant job to get 3 finger picking up to speed without a triplet feel being evident in your playing at all times. For a lot of people this learning curve is so great that they find 3 finger technique to difficult to master to ever make it easier than 2 fingers. It took me a very very long time indeed to get close.

The most useful change to my RH technique that I have made s switching to floating thub, your right hand is so much more relaxed that you can play for hour and hour and hours without it getting tired.

Also its worth investigating how hard you strike the strings, softer is genuinely better in a lot of ways (fuller sound, less efort = more potential speed &less fatigue etc).

Finally work on the Alain Caron 16th note exercise. This can be played on a single note, its all about RH dexterity and control. Basically you accent a different 16th note on each beat of the bar so:-
[font="Courier New"]
1e&a 2e&a 3e&a 4e&a
*--- -*-- --*- ---*[/font]

Where * = accent and - = an unaccented note.

Once you have this down up to 125bpm, move on to the same exercise, but alternate very staccato and legato notes with the same accent pattern. If you can do that at 125bpm your right hand is fine!

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' post='756162' date='Feb 24 2010, 03:22 PM']Once you have this down up to 125bpm, move on to the same exercise, but alternate very staccato and legato notes with the same accent pattern. If you can do that at 125bpm your right hand is fine![/quote]

Now thats quite fast..

Yea 3 finger technique is grreat, its just fun also and adds to the feel of whatever youre playing.
I find it forces you into floating thumb also.. which is a good thing.
I used to use a pick for all the rock stuff but now Im lovin it with 3 and it has a distinct feel and sound.

Dont knock it till ya try it folks!

[quote name='Faithless' post='744867' date='Feb 14 2010, 03:13 PM']Hey, chaps, don't make OP dizzy with all those 3finger techniques.. It's not the case.

Wattabout 1fpf technique, I strongly recommend it.

First of all, bass guitar is not a double bass anymore, in terms of scale, 34 against 40 is a bit of a difference isn't it?

I'm not much of expert, but, as I've noticed, in most cases problem lies not in the small hands or whatever, but it lies in [i]positioning of instrument against the player.[/i]

I mean, it's natural, that you will meet pain, when you're trying to reach that low F, using 1fpf technique, when your instrument is 'set' 90 degrees against you, I mean, this, a la Mark King style:

Just switch your instrument more like a 45 degrees, stop acting a rockNroll star and adjust that strap to keep bass in normal height, somethin like this:

Aaaand, you're halfway to the correct technique! :)

Just to add, 1fpf is very economical technique, it's lets your hand to be relaxed, and you can do all your chords/arpeggios/scales with no problem.

If guitarists use it, why can't we do it?[/quote]

From reading this thread
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=77300&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=77300&st=0[/url]

I think some of your assumptions are incorrect.

[quote name='Musicman69' post='762440' date='Mar 3 2010, 12:21 AM']Anyway, the original post was asking about ANY information on right-hand technique..
Not how to hold his bass or fret his strings!! Ah well.[/quote]

Do apologise. Maybe should have noted that in my post or not posted at all. I'll get me coat.