Why become a member? ×

gone

Guest skylark

[quote name='skylark' post='741628' date='Feb 11 2010, 12:08 AM']I have spare 15 and 12" PA speakers lying about. 200watt each Alto Elvis. What are you opinions about using them as a bass cabs?

Cheers.[/quote]

I don't really know - a few are using the self-powered speakers with a pre & getting good results, but I have no experience of this . I wonder if they have the xmax?

G.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='742350' date='Feb 11 2010, 06:22 PM']Warwickhunt was selling a couple of Peavey cabs a while back that he thought were good with bass.[/quote]

You rang? :)

I'm using a single Peavey HiSys (1x15 +Horn) cab as a rehearsal cab (stored at our rehearsal space so saves humping my Aggies) and for what it is worth as a PA cab I'd now not sell it. It makes a perfectly good bass cab and for what you can pick them up used (ie cheaper than an equivalent 'bass cab') I don't think you can go wrong. Not saying that EVERY PA cab would be ideal for bass but this 1x15 with a very healthy volume of air, will do nicely... and that's regardless of the fact that I have one going spare because it'd be cheaper for you to source one locally. :rolleyes:

Plus some PA speakers have built in crossovers so you can plug your amp into the input of the sub and output all the top end into another cab for a cheap bi-amp setup

The ones we use have filters so we don't need a crossover but I remember using some speakers in the past that did that - may have been Peavey 2x18"s

I bought an Ashdown MAG300 head a few weeks ago and decided to try it through 2 cheap 15" subs I bought on ebay a couple of years ago. I disconnected the low pass filter in the cabs and had a quick play through it. To be fair, it sounded pretty good, loud, punchy and best of all lightweight and compact. Not to mention cheap, total cost £281.

I'm looking forward to the chance to try it out at a gig!

I have a 300w powered Trace sub from one of their acoustic PAs, all good if you can get enough level into it (preamp, mixer, channel strip or similar)

Also I rehearse (albeit at low/acoustic volume) with a Behringer SansAmp clone>powered 1x12" + horn cab (LabTech? dunno exactly) and I'm seriously thinking it might sound good with a mic on it as part of a recording setup, for a bit of air/room.

I've often wondered how both would sound with a crossover to send the right freqs to he right cabs...

Have also gone Behringer doodah>Bose L2. Mwa,ha haaaaaa! Great coverage, sounds entirely consistent anywhere in the room, from standing right on top of it to right at the back of the (biggish) room. Doesn't need to be loud to reach everywhere, due to the vertical array and sub unit.

If I had the bunts, I'd get one like a shot with an SWR Marcus pre.

I turned up to a gig once where backline was provided to find a line 6 150W combo waiting for me...... !!

I pulled our Mackie SRM450's out of the van and used them as backline driven by an Ampeg Valve DI box

Sounded very acceptable on the night although they cut out during the 2nd set (Thermal fuse thing) for a couple of mins ( I turned the drummers fan onto the heat sinks..... job done)

ATB
Mark

Drummer from my old band has taken up bass, and is using a TE BLX80 with one of our JBL JRX118S 1x18" subs as an extension cab. I've only seen the set-up in use at one gig, and TBH, he had tone & volume I'd kill for. Cheap 20 year-old Kramer bass & a Boss drum machine as his effects unit. Mish-mosh rig, but very effective . . .

Mark

Yeah, PA cabs, if anything, are probably better for bass. Think about it, they're designed to handle not only bass, but kick drum, vocals, etc. so they must be pretty good for bass handling and moving air. If I could, I'd set myself up with a huge PA rig, because it'd be much better then most conventional bass cabs.

Zach

ooh, this reminds me - I have a pair of pretty outrageous old Trace Elliot PS cabs sitting in my garage gathering dust.

They are trapezoid shape with a single 15" mounted behind a 10" driver. They should also have a compression driver mounted above but the previous owner removed these.

Slightly different Trace green velvet kinda covering.

I've gigged with them as a pair stacked on top of each other - 2x15 & 2x10, both 4 ohms too. Some serious trouser flappage from these :)

Need to get them cleaned up & flogged really, lol

[quote name='skylark' post='741628' date='Feb 11 2010, 12:08 AM']I have spare 15 and 12" PA speakers lying about. 200watt each Alto Elvis. What are you opinions about using them as a bass cabs?

Cheers.[/quote]

I have used 2 x 12" Peavey PA cabs with a horn for rehearsals. I had to wind up the bass to get the bottom and roll off the high. It was much better than I thought. Kind of OK, but not fantastic. You would get away with it if you did not have anything else.

I gigged frequently during early 1990`s using Bose 302 bin with two 802 Bose cabs with a Bose eq controller.A yamaha PB1 pre amp and 1kw power amps ...................... blimey ,it didn`t half sound good.A very hi-fi sound but loads of power.