Why become a member? ×

Ive gone all P Bass!!!

bubinga5

I really don't understand this "play all the ones you can find till you find one you like" mantra. I've had several basses that felt and sounded wonderful, till I got them into a band setting, and then they just didn't work.

I found my MIJ Standard P languishing on eBay one Monday lunchtime with no bids and 20 mins to go. The starting price was high for eBay, but well within what the bass was worth. I sniped it by a margin of 35p from one other bidder who had the same idea. Since then it's had 90% of my gigging and rehearsal time, the other 10% being taken up by more exciting basses that I wish worked as well, but don't.

There may be eras in USA production that are as well to avoid and MIMs have mixed reviews, but MIJs seem to be pretty consistently ok. So don't muck about, just buy one. :)

Edited by spinynorman

Nothing beats the simplicity of a P, esp through a tube or good tube emulating amp.

I do love the tone of a Jazz bass...but sitting in a punk/rock/metal setting, the P bass adds more ummph for me. The J is more for my sat at home fingerstyle or when I just fancy cutting through in a different way.

I dont know why Ps work so well, but they do!

Cheers

[quote]As ive heard that the P bass pick config can be limited (or am i wrong) Do they make a Pbass with an added Jazz pickup? what are they like.[/quote]
They do, its just as usual but with the advantage of a high end boost, i tried the Fender MIM (deluxe?) one not that long ago with the active circuit and sounded really good for a few hundred =] Fender also made an American Deluxe with a humbucker or the ELITE with two Precision pickups (not sure how old) some can be seen around though i've never tried one.

Personally, I do prefer it 'standard' and bassy version ^_^

[quote]What am i looking at price wise for a used year 2000+ Precision...are the latest models the best?
USA or CIJ/MIJ...???[/quote]
A few hundred? If your looking at Fenders they have a whole range as you might already know. Some think the MIM (Mexican) Pbass is the best to go for and upgrade yourself to save on the old wallet/ purse strings of the ol' expensive Americans, although, i do have my heart set on the 08 models.

I have a MIJ 51 Ris, get a phat sound from it but built like a telecaster, it has a blocky build with no contours but great for the money.
I now there are more Jap's out there but not sure what price ranges are but i know they're 'The sh*t'!!

Welcome to the Precision World anyhow and hope you enjoy your stay, haha