Why become a member? ×

How the hell do some people treat their basses?!

xilddx

[quote name='JackLondon' post='735957' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:29 AM']You do have a point. Someone who doesn't look after their gear shouldn't have it no matter how hard they've worked to get it![/quote]

COMPLETE CRAP!! :)

Basses aren't for looking at, they're for PLAYING - if you use them enough, they'll inevitably sustain "Battle scars", no matter how careful you are.
Face it - THEY'RE NOTHING MORE THAN A TOOL, the same way a spanner or screwdriver is to a mechanic.

Tell me, if you dare, Billy Sheehan's old Precision is any less valid as an instument because it's not been treated like his baby, or for that matter, Rory Gallagher's Strat.

At the end of the day looks are completely unimportant IT'S THE SOUND THAT MATTERS!!!

[quote name='Spook' post='739227' date='Feb 8 2010, 06:24 PM']COMPLETE CRAP!! :)

Basses aren't for looking at, they're for PLAYING - if you use them enough, they'll inevitably sustain "Battle scars", no matter how careful you are.
Face it - THEY'RE NOTHING MORE THAN A TOOL, the same way a spanner or screwdriver is to a mechanic.

Tell me, if you dare, Billy Sheehan's old Precision is any less valid as an instument because it's not been treated like his baby, or for that matter, Rory Gallagher's Strat.

At the end of the day looks are completely unimportant IT'S THE SOUND THAT MATTERS!!![/quote]
You have a point, but lots of us here go on a journey of buying and selling to find the bass that's right for us personally. Treat your basses like crap and the ever diminishing resale value with each successive purchase will eventually lead you to just about afford a £5 tea chest from ebay.

You'll also find mechanics look after their tools VERY carefully, they are expensive and they don't want them letting them down at a critical point.

Say what you just said to an F1 mechanic and he will tell you that it's YOU who's talking complete crap.

Edited by silddx

I'm probably on the border between 'regular wear and tear', and 'treating with disrespect' with my bass. I've been in the mindset of keeping things mint as long as possible before but I gave up on that a long time ago.

I only have one bass, a quite nice Shuker. But I spent a lot of money on it that I earned myself, and enjoy playing the thing - I wouldn't want to play a gig without it currently! And as it is a custom instrument for me, the resale value doesn't concern me. I'm keeping it. I wouldn't dream of buying a spare cheap bass to take out live 'just incase something bad happens'. When I see 20 year old instruments that are carefully polished, tuned, then put back in the case once every few months, it really just makes me sad.

I would never intentionally damage it, but I do sling it around quite a lot - we have an energetic live show, and there's no telling what/who I could hit, or what might hit it! I don't use a stand the majority of the time and often end up leaning it against whatever is around, or laid on the floor. Everytime I take it to Jon to have something changed, or just set up or whatever, there seems to be another new dent that he'll comment on. But I don't mind at all - I use it! Isn't that what a luthier wants? For someone to use and enjoy the instruments they make?

Just because it looks a bit knackered doesn't mean that the electronics and everything aren't in perfect working order and maintained!

But no, I don't clean it enough :)

[quote name='firmo' post='739245' date='Feb 8 2010, 06:47 PM']...but not quite as daft as assuming all tools are expensive.[/quote]
Perhaps not, but are you aware of the potential damage you can do with a torque wrench that has poor calibration as a result of poor maintenance?

I use quality gear and I look after it because I cant afford for it to let me and my band down at a critical moment.

[quote name='silddx' post='739260' date='Feb 8 2010, 07:01 PM']Perhaps not, but are you aware of the potential damage you can do with a torque wrench that has poor calibration as a result of poor maintenance?[/quote]

No but I can buy a spanner for about 50p from Wilko.

I use decent gear and if my bass goes flying at an irritating band member at the previous gig i'll always make sure before leaving for a gig that it's all in good working order so it doesn't let me/my band down at a critical moment. Doesn't mean I don't deserve to have my bass.

[quote name='firmo' post='739286' date='Feb 8 2010, 07:20 PM']No but I can buy a spanner for about 50p from Wilko.

I use decent gear and if my bass goes flying at an irritating band member at the previous gig i'll always make sure before leaving for a gig that it's all in good working order so it doesn't let me/my band down at a critical moment. Doesn't mean I don't deserve to have my bass.[/quote]

I never said I agreed that those who mistreat their possessions don't deserve to own them.

[quote name='umcoo' post='736001' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:52 AM']I think there's some truth in this. I once saw Pete Townsend throw a puppy into a stack of Hiwatts.[/quote]

That's nothing - you should see the video where he throws a Hiwatt into a stack of puppies!!! That's just..... a blatant disregard of his equipment!!!!

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='739330' date='Feb 8 2010, 08:00 PM']Far too many waffly 'opinions' in this thread for my liking. For those who care about the TRUTH, here are the plain, unvarnished, scientific facts:

[/quote]
:rolleyes:

He, does as always, speaks the truth.

I do like the colours of the diagram BTW. :)

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='737817' date='Feb 7 2010, 02:28 AM']The Gorbals is like Wester Hailes, Pilton or Granton but wi'oot the culture.[/quote]

hehehehehe :)

My gear is pretty good nick, not going to loose any sleep if I damage it playing though. They are tools, not works of art.

[quote name='silddx' post='736741' date='Feb 5 2010, 10:32 PM']Jeez, it was only a little quip, a phrase, people are getting pissed off with me because of it. Not one person has screeched at me because they are offended by my Helmand Province reference.

[b]SORRY TO ALL GLASWEGIANS![/b]

I'll be up there in a couple of months, I'll take a look. If you look at my profile in May and see "Last seen 14th April", you'll know what's happened.

:)[/quote]

Feel free to call Dundee and Falkirk shitholes....we aren't as precious as those snooty Glaswegians, or soap dodgers, as they are known locally.

[quote name='firmo' post='739286' date='Feb 8 2010, 07:20 PM']No but I can buy a spanner for about 50p from Wilko.[/quote]
And then spend about 2 hrs having to chisel off the bolt that the 50p spanner has mangled beyond all recognition :lol:

I can understand the mechanic and his tools thing. I am a qualified mechanic, and must have at least £10,000 worth of tools :) They're all spotless, and kept in a very neatly arranged roll cab....Why? The amount of time that you can waste using inferior, poorly maintained, filthy tools, stored in a disorganised tool box is unbelievable. Not to mention the risk of personal injury increases using cheap tat, or looking highly unprofessional.

Like I said, look after your tools, and they will last you a life time. Same levels of tidyness apply to my bass equipment.

BTW, did I mention I'm a neat freak! :rolleyes: :lol:

No offence meant to anyone, just my own opinion. At the end of the day, we're all different, and it's OK to enjoy our hobby in different ways to each other :lol: