Why become a member? ×

Some people are unbelievable.

Tait

[quote name='Craigmartini' post='736528' date='Feb 5 2010, 06:38 PM']Not evil, just really incompetent, thoughtless, and self centered.[/quote]

Wowsa! I could be a promoter! That's me to a T.

This time next year, I'll be living on Eeeeeeasy Street. Bring your own f***ing beer.

[quote name='Craigmartini' post='736528' date='Feb 5 2010, 06:38 PM']Respectfully, this is why I kinda dissagree..

me: "but the pub WILL mind that we're under 18 then?"
her: "well, if they find out they'll be mad. [b]THEY'VE HAD A GO AT ME BEFORE FOR HAVING UNDER 18 BANDS PLAY, THEY'VE EVEN KICKED ONE BAND OUT FOR BEING UNDER 18 BEFORE[/b]". funnily enough, when a different mate found out where we were playing he was suprised because he always thought that pub was strict on 18+ only, but i didn't really think anything of it.
her: "anyway, like i said, JUST GO IN THE BACK AND KEEP A LOW PROFILE, you should be ok"

These statements are absurd!!

Not evil, just really incompetent, thoughtless, and self centered.

So after she did find out they were underage, knowing she has had this problem before she still insisted on putting everyone at risk. Yes people do share gear but her telling them they HAD to bring a drum set for everyone to use is a bit more than just sharing gear. This is more like forced borrowing. Why couldn't someone else bring drums for everyone to use?

However, I do agree that she is in need of some guidance. Yes, hopefully she learns from this.

I admire your compassion for her Dave! You are a good guy trying to stand up for someone being put down by all of us!

Craig[/quote]

Thats the kicker for me. She knew from past PERSONAL experience about the venues age policy. That should have been one of the very first questions to ask a potential band.

She either chose to ignore the risk or was simply blinkered by the thought of getting someone to provide drums.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='736368' date='Feb 5 2010, 04:17 PM']It's been a while since I was under 18, so excuse my ignorance, but... why would an establishment chuck someone out just for being under 18? As long as they don't attempt to purchase alcohol, surely they're not breaking any laws? When I was younger, I had friends under 18 who worked in bars, just collecting and washing glasses; obviously they couldn't serve alcohol, but nothing precluded them from being there.

Or have things changed in recent years?

(Sorry it's a bit off-topic.)[/quote]

It depends on the venue, type of licence granted and the local licence board who make up their own local rules and regulations on top of the national ones so it varies depending on area and the use of the venue.

Our pub licence in Scotland was strictly over 18s at all times and my mates pub in London was the same.

Generally here if a pub doesn't serve sit down meals or have a separate family area it will be given an over 18 licence.

[quote name='Craigmartini' post='736528' date='Feb 5 2010, 06:38 PM']However, I do agree that she is in need of some guidance. Yes, hopefully she learns from this.

I admire your compassion for her Dave! You are a good guy trying to stand up for someone being put down by all of us!

Craig[/quote]

Im just trying to see it from her point of view. To be honest i missed the part about her having problems with a band before so i take it all back lol.

[quote name='Craigmartini' post='736636' date='Feb 5 2010, 08:33 PM']:rolleyes: I still think your a good guy for trying! :)

Craig[/quote]

Cheers. She is young and is obviously very inexperienced. I really dont think this makes her as bad as some people are saying.

Relying on just one band to bring the drums and then to find out they cant (for whatever reason) must have put her in a very bad position and she obviously just got desperate. I doubt she ever really expected the OP's band to sneak in and keep their heads down, it was probably just a desperate suggestion.
It does seem that she has realised the problem and is now trying to sort it out as best she can.

All IMVHO of course.

Yes, the gig will probably be a disaster.

Right'o, that's all my good Karma gone. Im off to have an argument about strings now lol.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='736593' date='Feb 5 2010, 07:48 PM']Is this gig by any chance a charity gig at the plough in hucknall?[/quote]
Yep it is
I've known this girl all my life (literally), she's nice and this is her first time organising a gig so she deserves to be cut some slack, and in fairness she has had some trouble with bands dopping out etc, not sure what the deal about it being over 18's only is though, she asked me if i could get something together for it and for it to be "family friendly".... She only asked me a couple of weeks ago though, obviously i couldn't get anything together in that short a time frame.
You can trust her to get someone to pick the kit up though, she's trustworthy.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='736653' date='Feb 5 2010, 08:51 PM']Yep it is
I've known this girl all my life (literally), she's nice and this is her first time organising a gig so she deserves to be cut some slack, and in fairness she has had some trouble with bands dopping out etc, not sure what the deal about it being over 18's only is though, she asked me if i could get something together for it and for it to be "family friendly".... She only asked me a couple of weeks ago though, obviously i couldn't get anything together in that short a time frame.
You can trust her to get someone to pick the kit up though, she's trustworthy.[/quote]

Right on. Good to hear, I hope you understand that my comments on this are strictly business related. (looking out for a fellow bass player). I hate to see people having dreadful gig experiences, I have had so many I wouldn't even know where to begin!

I was hoping to help him avoid some of what I have been through in the past. Especially when I was his age.

I believe you when you say she is nice. According to the OP it is not her first booked gig, I only went off the info provided.

Sorry if I offended you about your friend.

Best wishes,
Craig

[quote name='Craigmartini' post='736689' date='Feb 5 2010, 09:38 PM']Right on. Good to hear, I hope you understand that my comments on this are strictly business related. (looking out for a fellow bass player). I hate to see people having dreadful gig experiences, I have had so many I wouldn't even know where to begin!

I was hoping to help him avoid some of what I have been through in the past. Especially when I was his age.

I believe you when you say she is nice. According to the OP it is not her first booked gig, I only went off the info provided.

Sorry if I offended you about your friend.

Best wishes,
Craig[/quote]
No worries, i only read the first post :)
I'm not sure if it's her first one or not, but i know she definitely doesn't have much experience in it. Aside from that, i can't really comment, but she does mean well. I'm not sure if luke mentioned it - but it is a charity gig and she's not out to rip anyone off or screw anyone over...

[quote name='budget bassist' post='736653' date='Feb 5 2010, 08:51 PM']Yep it is
You can trust her to get someone to pick the kit up though, she's trustworthy.[/quote]

she seemed like a nice enough person tbh and if you'll notice, i've barely even replied to the thread since i wrote it when i first found all this stuff out and i was a bit pissed off, and personally i think a few of the replies, as well as my OP if i'm honest, we're a bit harsh on her. thats also the reason i didn't mention where the gig was at, i know there are a few nottingham based basschatters and i didn't want people to go along or blame the venue or even blame her, i'm sure its as much about bad luck as it is about bad organising really. its not about her at all, its more just how badly the gig has been organised that i'm moaning about, and the fact she wanted us to play even though we're all under 18, and the whole drumkit thing.

i don't know about the family friendly thing since its an 18+ gig, that doesn't really sound family friendly at all.

it didn't sound like it was her first gig, because i'm sure she's said the place have moaned at her for having under 18s play there before. either way, its still a badly organised gig that i ended up annoyed about.

also - i didn't know it was a charity gig if i'm honest, but i can't see how that makes a difference anyway. we we're getting paid, but i didn't mention that because she told me before we agreed to play we weren't getting paid. i never once thought she was trying to rip anyone off, like i said she seemed a nice enough person, and i only found out about her gig because she was a friend of a very close friend of mine. i don't think she was even using us for the drums really, maybe that was why she wanted us to play even after she found out we were under 18, but we had sorted out the fact we were playing at least a week before she asked if we could bring drums - its not like she said "you can play if you can bring drums".

i just think its amazing about how unorganised the gig was, and how none of the other bands can bring drums. we don't have a problem with lending the drum kit out - we've done it before, and if my dad hadn't had a gig that night, we'd have lent it out again at this gig - but we simply couldn't bring the kit, and i didn't want to trust a total stranger with our drumkit.

she also definatly knew we shouldnt be playing and still insisted that we should. i forgot in the OP that i i dod ask her if it was worth calling the venue and checking, but she said that would just make it worse (i know a couple of people posted in the thread i should have called - it did go through my mind). its not even like we are all 18 except me, in which case i'd have probably gone for it because i doubt they're going to ask the band for ID and if theres a 17 year old with a group o 18 year olds, no one's going to notice. but i'm the oldest, and the others are 15 and 14. they're going to pick up on that, and she must've known it too. she knew we shouldn't be playing and refused to check with the venue if its ok that we're playing, and yet by then i believe she probably was just using us for the drumkit.

anyway, we've dropped out of the gig now. i hope it goes well for her and everything, but i didn't want to risk having our drumkit nicked, or risk setting up the drumkit then getting kicked out, risk going to all that effort to be told we can't play or anything like that. my rant may have been a little harsh, but i still stand by it.

Ive only scan read this so forgive me if its been covered!

As a few people have said, we have all been there! If its her first gig then she will need some patience from everyone. How ever inexperience will be her down fall. Head of Steam in Newcastle has an extremely strict NO UNDER 18's policy, any one under 18 will be removed and barred, this includes bands. Pubs/bars cant afford to lose licenses and to say 'sneak in the back door' is rather irresponsible.
Ive refused gigs like this and our band has had problems with sharing gear because when we play there is about £10k in instruments on stage with us. I try not to share my rig because if it gets damaged, they have to pay for it and its alot of doh ray me.

If the organisation isnt there or the promoter asked us to do more than asked for we say stick it or we do what were asked to to; Play a live set. Your asked to do that and thats all. If the night is a failure its the promoters fault.

Dan

"Charity gig" - two little words that strike terror in the stoutest of hearts.

There are two laudable aspects to this tale. First that the promoter set out with charitable intentions, notwithstanding the inexperience which led to confusion and certain [i]unwise[/i] procedural suggestions. Secondly, that Tait exercised commendable caution in the course of a deteriorating situation and elected to err on the side of prudence.

Brick-lobbing old Bobs such as myself might now draw a veil over any shortcomings and instead strive to emulate the positive characteristics exhibited by both parties.

[quote name='Tait' post='737223' date='Feb 6 2010, 02:18 PM']she seemed like a nice enough person tbh and if you'll notice, i've barely even replied to the thread since i wrote it when i first found all this stuff out and i was a bit pissed off, and personally i think a few of the replies, as well as my OP if i'm honest, we're a bit harsh on her. thats also the reason i didn't mention where the gig was at, i know there are a few nottingham based basschatters and i didn't want people to go along or blame the venue or even blame her, i'm sure its as much about bad luck as it is about bad organising really. its not about her at all, its more just how badly the gig has been organised that i'm moaning about, and the fact she wanted us to play even though we're all under 18, and the whole drumkit thing.

i don't know about the family friendly thing since its an 18+ gig, that doesn't really sound family friendly at all.

it didn't sound like it was her first gig, because i'm sure she's said the place have moaned at her for having under 18s play there before. either way, its still a badly organised gig that i ended up annoyed about.

also - i didn't know it was a charity gig if i'm honest, but i can't see how that makes a difference anyway. we we're getting paid, but i didn't mention that because she told me before we agreed to play we weren't getting paid. i never once thought she was trying to rip anyone off, like i said she seemed a nice enough person, and i only found out about her gig because she was a friend of a very close friend of mine. i don't think she was even using us for the drums really, maybe that was why she wanted us to play even after she found out we were under 18, but we had sorted out the fact we were playing at least a week before she asked if we could bring drums - its not like she said "you can play if you can bring drums".

i just think its amazing about how unorganised the gig was, and how none of the other bands can bring drums. we don't have a problem with lending the drum kit out - we've done it before, and if my dad hadn't had a gig that night, we'd have lent it out again at this gig - but we simply couldn't bring the kit, and i didn't want to trust a total stranger with our drumkit.

she also definatly knew we shouldnt be playing and still insisted that we should. i forgot in the OP that i i dod ask her if it was worth calling the venue and checking, but she said that would just make it worse (i know a couple of people posted in the thread i should have called - it did go through my mind). its not even like we are all 18 except me, in which case i'd have probably gone for it because i doubt they're going to ask the band for ID and if theres a 17 year old with a group o 18 year olds, no one's going to notice. but i'm the oldest, and the others are 15 and 14. they're going to pick up on that, and she must've known it too. she knew we shouldn't be playing and refused to check with the venue if its ok that we're playing, and yet by then i believe she probably was just using us for the drumkit.

anyway, we've dropped out of the gig now. i hope it goes well for her and everything, but i didn't want to risk having our drumkit nicked, or risk setting up the drumkit then getting kicked out, risk going to all that effort to be told we can't play or anything like that. my rant may have been a little harsh, but i still stand by it.[/quote]
Nah, i understand why you were a bit cautious, you're right though, the organisation was piss poor, and the hucknall bands that she booked didn't help matters, i've played with/watched most of them play before and as a generalisation, most of them couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery, let alone organise a gig date to which they can all turn up to and then actually turn up on time on the night, a lot of them don't even have their own equipment, and that's before i get to the music... honestly, organising a gig in hucknall is an absolute nightmare.

And yeah, it's for charity, her and some people from college are going to ghana to help build houses or schools or something? I didn't know she'd organised anything before, either way, she hasn't done it much... as for the 18's thing, I think she intended it to be for all ages and then realised that it's in a pub so she couldn't (some of the pubs round here are ok with it, some aren't. Personally i got fed up of all the U18's turning up at the gigs and just behaving like what they are - children. I don't mean you luke, you're alright, but just some of the under 18 regulars just acted like prats until eventually any adults that would pay to get in stopped turning up and they just became children's parties... not good. but i digress.

She's organising another one in april, she did say to me that this one was just to "test the water" and wasn't going to be all that important, though i may have to help her out a little on the next one... she does mean well.

It's not something I've done a huge amount of, but organising a multi-band gig isn't rocket science as long as you understand the logistics of what bands need in order to play and have a venue. Perhaps if there's a few bands who want to do a charity gig and a good target audience, you could look at putting a show together yourself?
If there's under 18's don't hold it in a pub, rent a hall somewhere. You get to do all the promotions and publicity, get run absolutely ragged a few days before and on the night, but it's a very satisfying thing to pull off. Will get you the recognition of your musical peers and looks good to put on your "music CV" when you come to organise gigs in regular bars etc.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='737568' date='Feb 6 2010, 07:59 PM']Nah, i understand why you were a bit cautious, you're right though, the organisation was piss poor, and the hucknall bands that she booked didn't help matters, i've played with/watched most of them play before and as a generalisation, most of them couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery, let alone organise a gig date to which they can all turn up to and then actually turn up on time on the night, a lot of them don't even have their own equipment, and that's before i get to the music... honestly, organising a gig in hucknall is an absolute nightmare.

And yeah, it's for charity, [b][size=4]her and some people from college are going to ghana to help build houses or schools or something[/size][/b]? I didn't know she'd organised anything before, either way, she hasn't done it much... as for the 18's thing, I think she intended it to be for all ages and then realised that it's in a pub so she couldn't (some of the pubs round here are ok with it, some aren't. Personally i got fed up of all the U18's turning up at the gigs and just behaving like what they are - children. I don't mean you luke, you're alright, but just some of the under 18 regulars just acted like prats until eventually any adults that would pay to get in stopped turning up and they just became children's parties... not good. but i digress.

She's organising another one in april, she did say to me that this one was just to "test the water" and wasn't going to be all that important, though i may have to help her out a little on the next one... she does mean well.[/quote]

:rolleyes: After reading through this thread re. this 'organiser' friend of yours, I hope she isn't personally organising [u][b]that[/b][/u]? :) :lol:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='737941' date='Feb 7 2010, 11:36 AM']:rolleyes: After reading through this thread re. this 'organiser' friend of yours, I hope she isn't personally organising [u][b]that[/b][/u]? :) :lol:[/quote]

Err, yeah, can you like bring the cement mixer? Coz none of the other volunteers have a cement mixer or can transport it.
Don't worry you'll get use of a trowel from one of the other bands.

If anyone knows, it'll be Budget Bassist. I'd be interested to know too.

Notwithstanding the logistical shortcomings, you can't fault her initial motivation. Frankly, I made far more mistakes at her age, without any of the good intentions.

Edited by skankdelvar

We had the same problem once with a girl organising a gig and we said the drummer was 17. She said it would be OK though and bring all your gear down to the club. Got there and the minute we walked in the place we were all ID'd. So we couldn't play the gig and she blamed it on us after we told her our drummer is under 18! So we took all our gear and played with another band we're mates with at another venue and had a great gig. Before we left, this girl told us to keep our gear there for the other bands to use even though we weren't playing... we said no. She then turned around and said she is a major promoter in the city and will tell every club she knows that we're a bad band and we mess everyone about.

In the spirit of rock n roll I told her to go f*** herself. No one is threatning my band.

Turns out this girl is sone uni student doing a media degree who is friends with this one club...

[quote name='ash_sak' post='738072' date='Feb 7 2010, 01:35 PM']I mmight've missed any comments somewhere in the forray up there but does anyone know how this gig went?

(just out of interest, i dont wanna slag it off or pas judgement or anything, i just wanna know if she pulled it off in the end)[/quote]

i just checked her facebook profile to see if she said anything about how it went. they raised £85. she didn't say if the overall gig went well or not, and someone else has posted on her wall asking if she managed to get any drums last night but she didn't appear to reply. maybe sam will know more..?

• 4 weeks later...

Consider yourself lucky, last time I agreed to do something like that (big ole multi band gig where every b**ger wanted to use our gear) a riot broke out between the various factions of punks in the audience.

I'm not exagerrating, there were tables and chairs and glasses and bottles being used in the resulting maul, we had 4 police vans turn up to cart people away, the bouncers laid into anyone they could reach regardless of their actions, and tried to trash our gear outside the venue afterwards!

I still have nightmares :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='738121' date='Feb 7 2010, 02:30 PM']If anyone knows, it'll be Budget Bassist. I'd be interested to know too.

Notwithstanding the logistical shortcomings, you can't fault her initial motivation. Frankly, I made far more mistakes at her age, without any of the good intentions.[/quote]
i totally forgot about this, yeah i didn't really ask her about it, apparently they raised a bit of cash which is good, though i never actually heard how the night went....