Why become a member? ×

New Amp. Moving from an Ampeg SVT Classic to?

PauBass

After a few years using an Ampeg SVT Classic amp, I think it's time for a change.
As much as I love the tone, moving it around it's a bit of a pain and I fancy something lighter and easy to carry. I'm not really after any of the super small/light amps being made nowadays.

I have in mind many different options: Ampeg SVT-4, Genz Benz 750/1200, Mesa, Gallien Krueger... but I'm open to any other suggestions.

I assume they all differe a lot from the sound I'm used to so any input from you guys will be highly appreciate it.

I have to say I'm not trying to replicate the SVT tone on a smaller amp, for that I can always use a VT bass pedal.

Regarding cabs, I'll be keeping and using my Bergantino NV610.

Edited by PauBass

Ther are loads of possibilites out there amp wise.
Try a few of the Ampeg PRO range, A Mesa or two and some Mark Bass offerings.
There are some great second hand Eden amps around at the mo,
also, I would suggest the Orange Bass Terror (seeing as weight of the SVT is an issue)
Lastly, don´t forget the TC RH450

Basically, try as many as you can and whittle down a list of what you like.

as a matter of interest, would you be selling your SVT-CL? If so, how much?(may be in the market for one) :)

I've heard that Mesa amps work really well with Bergantino cabs. That said, most good amps should sound good through Bergantino cab! Lots of good stuff about, just try them out and see what you like in terms of features and tone. You could consider EBS or Aguilar as well.

I think you should specify what kind of tone you'd like from the more portable head and the budget... I have an Ashdown ABM which I love, but that'd be the choice for a similar tone character, which is not what I guess you want. For a more hi-fi (I'd prefer to call it "transparent") choice, you might want to try David Eden (expensive though), "our" Mark Bass (too "transparent" for my taste but well built), Gallien... for a good-value-for-price choice I'd go for an Ashdown, unless you hate their tone... I've never tried one, but I know that the MarkKing Ashdown head is more on the clean side than their other products. Since you have the VT pedal you might also consider to buy just a power amp as well, though it's not that easy to find a good and really portable stand-alone PA

[quote name='EmaTheMirror' post='733352' date='Feb 2 2010, 07:33 PM']I think you should specify what kind of tone you'd like from the more portable head and the budget... I have an Ashdown ABM which I love, but that'd be the choice for a similar tone character, which is not what I guess you want. For a more hi-fi (I'd prefer to call it "transparent") choice, you might want to try David Eden (expensive though), "our" Mark Bass (too "transparent" for my taste but well built), Gallien... for a good-value-for-price choice I'd go for an Ashdown, unless you hate their tone... I've never tried one, but I know that the MarkKing Ashdown head is more on the clean side than their other products. Since you have the VT pedal you might also consider to buy just a power amp as well, though it's not that easy to find a good and really portable stand-alone PA[/quote]

Well, I still want that kind of warm tone so I'm also considering an Ashdown ABM head, I'm not really into Hi-Fi sounding amps.

Any idea if Ashdown heads go well with Bergantino cabs?

[quote name='PauBass' post='733388' date='Feb 2 2010, 08:00 PM']Well, I still want that kind of warm tone so I'm also considering an Ashdown ABM head, I'm not really into Hi-Fi sounding amps.

Any idea if Ashdown heads go well with Bergantino cabs?[/quote]

Careful mate, ashdown can arouse contempt round these here parts.lol
Personally, I cant stand em, but horses/courses

[quote name='basshead56' post='733418' date='Feb 2 2010, 09:19 PM']Careful mate, ashdown can arouse contempt round these here parts.lol[/quote]

why? are they averagely considered "smoke and mirrors" on this forum? I think they have a character and mid-freq "pronunciation" which can be quite annoying in some settings, but for my needs I like it

[quote name='EmaTheMirror' post='734599' date='Feb 3 2010, 10:54 PM']why? are they averagely considered "smoke and mirrors" on this forum? I think they have a character and mid-freq "pronunciation" which can be quite annoying in some settings, but for my needs I like it[/quote]

Being a newbie, I'll risk breaking cover and admit to being well happy with Ashdown ABM stuff; especially the head - great sound with the tube drive, and appears as well made as anything in that bracket. The sub-harmonic thing is a nice touch too. Some people go on about the tone characture and thats fair enough. But having used one non-stop for 18 months, Id definately get another (tho I'd probably save a few quid and get a good nick Evo 2).

[quote name='PauBass' post='733388' date='Feb 2 2010, 08:00 PM']Well, I still want that kind of warm tone so I'm also considering an Ashdown ABM head, I'm not really into Hi-Fi sounding amps.

Any idea if Ashdown heads go well with Bergantino cabs?[/quote]

IME Ashdown heads sound pretty good with any cabs if you like their voicing. There are a small number of people on this forum who jump at the chance to slag off anything Ashdown though.

I had an ABM500 which I sold to buy a LM3 just for the sake of portability and I've regretted it ever since. The LM3 is just too hi-fi and I find myself EQing it quite heavily to get a tone I like. When I've got the dosh I'll be looking for another EVOII. They do that fat valve tone better than any other tranny amp I've used.

I don't like Ashdown or MarkBass stuff :) . I just can't get along with it and I've used both on so many occasions at gigs and at practice rooms.

If you're interested in Mesa, GAK had a M-pulse 600 in there a month or so back. May be worth poping down and seeing what you think.

Yes guys, I agree with you, I don't think Ashdown amps are bad, in fact I remember a few years ago I had one of their older ABM combos and I really like the sound plus I've seen a few bands live using them and the tone was good.

I'll probably pop in to GAK check the mesa stuff and maybe if they have one in the shop a Orange bass Terror.

I'm quite keen on Genz Benz becuase I can get one at a really good price and I like the two blendable channels option... Does any of you know if the GBE 750 will be a good match for my Bergantino NV610?

Edited by PauBass