Why become a member? ×

Micro Heads

The Funk

I picked up an Eden WTX-260 pretty early on in the first wave of micro-heads.

I'm just wondering what's out there now? I know Gallien-Krueger do two micro-heads now, one of which is a hybrid. Genz Benz also do a whole range of them. Eden have added a WTX-500 to their range.

What else is there? Markbass? Ashdown Little Bastard? How do they compare to each other size-wise and in terms of features?

I can probably add something to this thread having been to BassDirect yesterday to play a few Micro heads. They were as follows:

[b]EA Micro head [/b]- 'Glassy' is the only word I can really use to describe this head. Unfortunately, it wasn't just the top end that sounded this way, it seemed to penetrate it's way through the whole frequency range. Not my favourite with the EQ set flat, but might be better with the treble turned down.
[b]Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0[/b] - this was a really nice head, being a bit brighter than either of the MB heads, but still having a really nice frequency range. Can imagine this being a really good head for someone who wants something a bit more cutting and aggressive.
[b]Markbass F1[/b] - Like the Genz Benz in it's range of frequencies, but just a bit warmer and fuller in it's response without being boomy in any way. This was a really lovely head.
[b]Markbass LMIII [/b]- for the extra £30-£40 get the F1. Whilst being a decent head I could certainly see why some people find it lacking in the top end. This head just didn't seem to have any of the vibrancy and articulation that the other three had. In truth I'd probably even take the EA over this and just turn the treble down.

No doubt, they're all quality heads, but for me, it was certainly a toss up between the F1 and the Genz Benz. I'd also recommend popping in to see ?Mark (or is it Steve??) at Bassdirect - a really nice guy and very helpful with it. Can't see myself ever going over to those egits over in B'ham anymore - they could no more set up a bass guitar than they could prepare a space shuttle for launch.

I love my Genz Benz 9.0 - it really has some serious power and amazing clarity and definition - it's stupidly light and small (which is the only slighty unnerving thing about it) but it looks cool and is well worth a look - personally I prefer its tone to that of the Markbass stuff but that's just my preferance - give one of these or a 6.0 a try - very impressive kit.

Mike

If you like the WTX260 then you'll love the WTX500. Mine got nicked before Xmas and I'm still working out a way to import a replacement cheaply from the States.

The Orange Terror Bass probably counts as a "micro head". It really is very compact and weighs little more than the GB or the Ashdown. Totally different thing though - it's a really fabulous rock amp with a real snarl to everything it does, but it just doesn't do [i][b]clean[/b][/i].

[quote name='51m0n' post='733148' date='Feb 2 2010, 04:43 PM']Dont forget the MB F500, like an F1 with more powerful eq plus a mute switch and pre-post switch

Personally my sa450 certainly doesnt lack any top end at all...[/quote]

+1

I can't comment on any of the others, but I do know that the F500 sounds great through an ACME Low-B2.

The only thing that annoys me about it is that it's not dual voltage, when a lot of the other similar heads are. Not that it will ever cause me problems, but suspect it's done for marketing reasons, rather than technical limitations, and that annoys me.

[quote name='Rumble' post='732532' date='Feb 2 2010, 08:29 AM']I can probably add something to this thread having been to BassDirect yesterday to play a few Micro heads. They were as follows:

[b]EA Micro head [/b]- 'Glassy' is the only word I can really use to describe this head. Unfortunately, it wasn't just the top end that sounded this way, it seemed to penetrate it's way through the whole frequency range. Not my favourite with the EQ set flat, but might be better with the treble turned down.
[b]Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0[/b] - this was a really nice head, being a bit brighter than either of the MB heads, but still having a really nice frequency range. Can imagine this being a really good head for someone who wants something a bit more cutting and aggressive.
[b]Markbass F1[/b] - Like the Genz Benz in it's range of frequencies, but just a bit warmer and fuller in it's response without being boomy in any way. This was a really lovely head.
[b]Markbass LMIII [/b]- for the extra £30-£40 get the F1. Whilst being a decent head I could certainly see why some people find it lacking in the top end. This head just didn't seem to have any of the vibrancy and articulation that the other three had. In truth I'd probably even take the EA over this and just turn the treble down.

No doubt, they're all quality heads, but for me, it was certainly a toss up between the F1 and the Genz Benz. I'd also recommend popping in to see ?Mark (or is it Steve??) at Bassdirect - a really nice guy and very helpful with it. Can't see myself ever going over to those egits over in B'ham anymore - they could no more set up a bass guitar than they could prepare a space shuttle for launch.[/quote]
You must have been the guy in yesterday moprning.
I went in lunch time-ish and Mark said he had had someone trying heads.
Great shop / Guy / experience.

To add to the thread, someone on here has a Phil Jones head for sale.

[quote name='jmsjabb' post='733282' date='Feb 2 2010, 06:36 PM']You must have been the guy in yesterday moprning.
I went in lunch time-ish and Mark said he had had someone trying heads.
Great shop / Guy / experience.[/quote]

Yep, that was me! Small world, eh! Mark and his shop, put so many others to shame. I'd recommend him to anyone.