Why become a member? ×

B.I.L.F.

Pete Academy

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='728711' date='Jan 29 2010, 01:56 PM']I disagree he was bang on with that quote, I think he is been divisive. The issue of blame however lies with the decision makers who took something that was good and needed, and turned it in something to exploit for political gain.[/quote]
Nonsense!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='728801' date='Jan 29 2010, 03:30 PM']I want your white Jazz.[/quote]
I'm afraid I may have found my perfect bass in that Jazz. It's lovely to play live, and I recorded an ep with Kit Richardson on Sunday, it rocked the house!

Anyway, you'd only cover it in those funny square things. :)

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='728821' date='Jan 29 2010, 03:41 PM']:lol:[/quote]
Stop showing off the white Warwick, it's tantamount to torture you evil swine :lol: I'm going to have to lie down in a dark room for a while.

The wife said the black Warwick looked nice as well, I said 'it's for sale', when I mentioned how much she lost interest :rolleyes: :)
What's that funny stunted looking thing at the end with the maple fretboard? :lol:

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='Marvin' post='728828' date='Jan 29 2010, 03:46 PM']Stop showing off the white Warwick, it's tantamount to torture you evil swine :lol: I'm going to have to lie down in a dark room for a while.

The wife said the black Warwick looked nice as well, I said 'it's for sale', when I mentioned how much she lost interest :rolleyes: :)[/quote]
Does she know it's now at the bargain price of £675, and I'll chuck in the antique fish for free? What's her number? :lol:

[quote name='silddx' post='728833' date='Jan 29 2010, 03:48 PM']Does she know it's now at the bargain price of £675, and I'll chuck in the antique fish for free? What's her number? :lol:[/quote]
:) She's a tough nut to crack when it comes to money is my wife. Even the fish didn't sway it. :rolleyes:

Whenever I see this pic of this extraordinary bass, I start wondering if perhaps I should have gone for a gloss finish on my Shuke rather than the satin one. That top is beautiful.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='728711' date='Jan 29 2010, 01:56 PM']if it's black, and it's a board, who am I offending by calling it a blackboard? Especially as if it's white and it's a board I'm allowed to call it a whiteboard.[/quote]
Errm, you're not offending anybody... that's actually what I was getting at when i said that the basic concept of PC is a good one [i]unless it is taken to extremes[/i] (e.g. your blackboard example, which as far as I am aware is very much the exception rather than the norm -- it certainly never happened at [i]my[/i] school in the 80s).

[quote name='Rich' post='728844' date='Jan 29 2010, 03:57 PM']Errm, you're not offending anybody... that's actually what I was getting at when i said that the basic concept of PC is a good one [i]unless it is taken to extremes[/i] (e.g. your blackboard example, which as far as I am aware is very much the exception rather than the norm -- it certainly never happened at [i]my[/i] school in the 80s).[/quote]

Nor mine. In fact most of the examples of "PC gone mad" I've ever heard of I can't attribute to personal experience, or the experiences of anyone I've met. Most of the time when you read about crazy stuff like that it's attributed to "a source" in the media. I wouldn't be suprised if most of it is made up to enrage the sort of people who use the term "PC brigade" and sell papers.

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Wil' post='728855' date='Jan 29 2010, 04:00 PM']Nor mine. In fact most of the examples of "PC gone mad" I've ever heard of I can't attribute to personal experience, or the experiences of anyone I've met. Most of the time when you read about crazy stuff like that it's attributed to "a source" in the media. I wouldn't be suprised if most of it is made up to enrage the sort of people who use the term "PC brigade" and sell papers.[/quote]
I think you are exactly right. Same thing with "Health & Safety Gawn Maaaahd". Wait till the f***ers get ill and see the claims roll in. "Do Gooders" is another one that pisses me off. See QT last night, the biggest cheer from the Basildon audience came when a panellist said "immigration", they didn't even hear the rest of his sentence.

I worked in the civic centre of a local authority. No offices, all open plan, with different departments separated by screens. The personnel department (human resources? what prat thought that up?) was next to the section I sat in. We had a memo go round, stating the policy on sexual harassment. Our floor was usually quiet. Eileen, a middle aged woman who always dressed to impress (lots of cleavage, tight skirts etc.) read this memo, gave it thought and then called out to loudly; 'This sexual 'arassment, 'ow do I apply for some then?'

[quote name='silddx' post='728841' date='Jan 29 2010, 03:54 PM']I'll have a chat with her if you like, I can be very diplomatic.[/quote]
She's now laughing heartily and still saying no. I'm off to sulk. :)

With regard to political correctness and health and safety they have definitely suffered from urban myth syndrome. PC is quite a simple concept, it's just having respect for people and taking into consideration your actions. With regard to the flag incident in Birmingham it would be interesting to find out the full facts behind it. Usually these decisions seem to be taken by a person of authority who has arbitrarily decided to enforce a decision. Where non England for supporters even asked?

Much of what is regarded as Health and Safety law is in actual fact no such thing. More often than not it is how certain individuals have interpreted guidelines. The HSE only ask that employers and employees take sensible common sense precautions.

[quote name='silddx' post='728862' date='Jan 29 2010, 04:06 PM']"Do Gooders"[/quote]

It's got to be THE most stupid fu@king expression in history. The notion that doing good is somehow the wrong thing to do, what sort of fu@king mindset is that? I know, let's all go 'round being complete sh1ts to each other, that's got to be the way forward. W@NKERS!

Rant over. Apologies for any offence that may have been caused.

[quote name='silddx' post='728862' date='Jan 29 2010, 04:06 PM']I think you are exactly right. Same thing with "Health & Safety Gawn Maaaahd". Wait till the f***ers get ill and see the claims roll in. "Do Gooders" is another one that pisses me off. See QT last night, the biggest cheer from the Basildon audience came when a panellist said "immigration", they didn't even hear the rest of his sentence.[/quote]

Thats not quite true is it..... what he actually said was that Britain had been subjected to decades of intense immigration.... that's what the audience reacted too.... Don't be a dramatist!

[quote name='crez5150' post='728915' date='Jan 29 2010, 04:45 PM']Thats not quite true is it..... what he actually said was that Britain had been subjected to decades of intense immigration.... that's what the audience reacted too.... Don't be a dramatist![/quote]
Oh come on mate, they went mad! They didn't hear the rest of his sentence which was along the lines of ".. which is both a good and a bad thing.". He had to repeat that bit.

I know you're from Essex, and I'm not having a crack at Essex, but they didn't do the stereotype much cop, did they?

[b]EDIT:[/b] My favourite oysters are from Colchester, as are Beth Chatto's gorgeous gardens, and Germaine Greer lives in Saffron Waldon. Essex is cool :)

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='728924' date='Jan 29 2010, 04:51 PM']Oh come on mate, they went mad! They didn't hear the rest of his sentence which was along the lines of ".. which is both a good and a bad thing.". He had to repeat that bit.

I know you're from Essex, and I'm not having a crack at Essex, but they didn't do the stereotype much cop, did they?

[b]EDIT:[/b] My favourite oysters are from Colchester, as are Beth Chatto's gorgeous gardens, and Germaine Greer lives in Saffron Waldon. Essex is cool :)[/quote]

I think saying they went mad is over the top really.... they applauded and there was a slight cheer.... yeah he had to repeat himself but I think that was more of a case that he was stumbling over his own words

As for Basildon it's not too bad.... it's places like Pitsea that are a problem

[quote name='crez5150' post='728959' date='Jan 29 2010, 05:26 PM']I think saying they went mad is over the top really.... they applauded and there was a slight cheer.... yeah he had to repeat himself but I think that was more of a case that he was stumbling over his own words

As for Basildon it's not too bad.... it's places like Pitsea that are a problem[/quote]
Fair enough man. Cheers.

Edited by silddx