Why become a member? ×

Kids bass?

Rockbassix

My mate has just started playing bass and thanks to the advice we got on here he bought a Fender 50s P bass.

The bass finally arrived the other week so he's been playing every spare minute now his 7 year old has shown an interest so he thought it would
be cool for them to learn together. The P bass is way too big and heavy for him so his dad is thinking about buying a kid sized bass. He doesn't want to spend
a fortune for a bass then find his son gets bored after a few months so he's looking to buy a 2nd hand or reasonably cheap new bass for now.

I know the Flea bass comes in a smaller version but thats the only one i can think of.

Anybody got any suggestions for a reasonable priced kids bass.

Is it a good idea to start him off with a kid sized bass or would they be as well buying a lighter full size bass?

cheers :)

Either a Tanglewood Elf or a Squier bronco would be my recoms anyway.
The Elf usually goes for about 40-60 pounds. Usually a weird light Blue colour.
They are great for adults too-as a travel bass and a very cheap alternative to the Fender MIM P Bass JNR
The Bronco from around 50 pounds secondhand.
There are also a few Cort shortscales out there worth looking at.

Typical i sent them the pics of the Bronco that Sibob is selling and just got the reply it's a no goer because the wee lad is determined he wants a black bass like his dads!

I guess when you're a 7yr old kid that kind of stuff is really important to you :)

I did suggest a can of spray paint but that didn't swing it either :rolleyes:

Looks like i'm back to trawling the internet and Fleabay.

Has anyone ever tried Gear4Musics own brand basses?

I just went through the same search for my friends 6 year old kid. I ended up buying a super cheap 25 1/2" scale Strat copy on eBay. With some drilling of the bridge to swap in some bass saddles, plugging and redrilling the headstock to accept full sized bass tuners, a new nut and a serious fret level he now has a micro mini bass which is also super light.

I strung it up with a BEAD set of strings which when you look at a normal 34" scale bass are actually EADG at the fifth fret which is 25 1/2 inches. So in effect it sounds like a normal 5 string capoed at the 5th fret minus the G string.

It's not great but I took it to a practice and it's gigable and darn cute. If any one wants to give it a try I can share the details of what I've learned so far.

[attachment=41242:minibass.jpg]

Edited by Vibrating G String

Cheers for the replies :)

Yep i think the black Squier is probably the best one to go for. Just a shame there's only red ones coming up 2nd hand at the moment.

I guess colour is still important to me as well i couldn't really see myself owning a bright red bass now but as a kid i would have loved it! I love how little kids really want to be just like their dad then by 15 they'll do anything to not be like him! :rolleyes:

That mini strat bass looks brilliant! :lol:
Unfortunately i'm a true girlie when it comes to stuff like this and don't know one end of a drill from the other and my mate doesnt seem to be much better i've seen his half finished DIY so he's probably way safer buying one or his son will be 25 by the time it's finished!

Thanks Tom and Ray it looks like we're now sorted he's about to become the owner of a black bronco from a fellow basschatter as soon as we sort out the postage from Manchester! :rolleyes:

Cheers for all the help everybody hopefully he sticks with playing i wish i'd been able to start at that age :lol:

LOL the next problem will come if he learns faster than his dad :)

When my son was that age I started him on a short scale Johnson P-Bass copy which was a dodle to play.

Here's one on ebay [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JOHNSON-JUNIOR-P-BASS-IN-TOBACCO-SUNBURST-NEW.-(SAH623)_W0QQitemZ350309321753QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20100126?IMSfp=TL100126189002r66"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JOHNSON-JUNIOR-P-BAS...100126189002r66[/url]

Great pic i love his look of intense concentration!

The Johnston bass looks cool too i was scared to go for names i didn't know without a recommendation from someone who had played one.

Did your son keep playing? We're kind of worried that in Jamies case it will probably be a fad and end up being left after a month as he has the attention span of a goldfish (his dads words not mine :) )but we're really hoping he proves us wrong.

Hopefully the fact that his dad has just started learning as well will keep him interested.

[quote name='Lostheplot' post='727213' date='Jan 28 2010, 04:33 AM']Great pic i love his look of intense concentration!

The Johnston bass looks cool too i was scared to go for names i didn't know without a recommendation from someone who had played one.

Did your son keep playing? We're kind of worried that in Jamies case it will probably be a fad and end up being left after a month as he has the attention span of a goldfish (his dads words not mine :) )but we're really hoping he proves us wrong.

Hopefully the fact that his dad has just started learning as well will keep him interested.[/quote]

Yes he is 17 now, still plays, this year he started college he has chosen music technology, wants to be a studio producer, who knows...?

Nice one! Here's hoping Jamie sticks with it as well!

I wish somebody had started me playing at that age :)

I remember having guitar lessons at primary school but hated and it quit after a month due to the teacher deciding teaching us stuff like nursery rhymes and hymns was a great idea yeah maybe but when you're 11 and trying to be cool being made to stand up in front of the school and play twinkle twinkle little star doesn't really cut it. :rolleyes: The class started of with 12 of us by the next month it had gone down to 3 which should have told them something :lol:

We're going to try and keep it fun for him and try to teach him some of the stuff he listens to so he can play along with it so hopefully that will keep him interested.His dad's mate has taught a few kids in the past so he's willing to give him some lessons to start off with.