Why become a member? ×

anyone ever had a strat plus?

ianrunci

[quote name='ianrunci' post='725015' date='Jan 26 2010, 12:20 PM']I am thinking of buying a fender strat plus. I was just wondering what people thought of them as opposed to buying a standard strat which would roughly cost about the same??[/quote]

Used to have one many moons ago, yes I used to dabble in thin strings....

Have to say that mine was fab and a mate of mine had one too and his was great as well! If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to get one if one came up.

Hope this helps

[quote name='ianrunci' post='725015' date='Jan 26 2010, 12:20 PM']I am thinking of buying a fender strat plus. I was just wondering what people thought of them as opposed to buying a standard strat which would roughly cost about the same??[/quote]

How much are you paying for the Plus? At the right money and condition, I'd go for the Plus.

When I was playing guitar on the function circuit I had three of these over a twelve year period,best strats I ever owned.Lace sensor pickups were completely noiseless,locking tuners made string changing so much easier & with the roller nut you could actualy use the trem without fear of knocking the things out of tune,listen to what jeff beck did on his "guitar shop" album & you will hear what I mean.If ever I became a working guitar player again it would definately be my weapon of choice, mike b.

Mate of mine had a Plus-best Strat he ever had.

They were introduced in 1987, and ended production in 1999. They still seem to rarely come up for sale-
perhaps people just hang onto them? Potential future classic,if you get chance for one for price of a Standard then I'd go for it.
They did them in some great whacky colours too!

I got a MIJ strat, then added a strat plus, then added an American strat. One had to go ....... the plus went!

For starters I never liked the look of the ugly blank pickups. Didn't particularly like the sound of them either. The TBX didn't seem very good, I thought it was faulty so I had a new one put in. Sounded exactly the same. It was a good guitar overall, but the other two were just better.

I wouldn't get one again as I prefer a trad looking trem, nut and pups.

It's likely to be a good all round guitar, but won't deliver vintage strat tone o behaviour. You may find you like the tone or you may not, so you should try first before buying. Personally I don't like noiseless pickups as the lack the sparkle and solidity of true singles. Also the roller nut and floating bridge will affect the tone somewhat, which again my be good or bad.

If you play with a little dirt (or a lot) most of the time or use a modeller then it'll be fine. If you play clean through a decent amp and not a modeller then think at least 3 times to make certain before you buy.

• 2 months later...

The Strat Plus is one of only 2 six stringers I have and it's excellent. I bought it new in the US about 10 ago I think and it's been excellent and since a Joe White setup fabulous to play. The Lace Sensors work great - especially in the studio with no noise or hum which I've had on standard Strats. If you find one for sale it won't be money wasted.

[quote]They did them in some great whacky colours too![/quote]

Mine's Graffiti Yellow! It's my "Sunday best" guitar.

Apparently (from www.electricguitartrends.com): "According to The Stratocaster Book, in late 1986 Jeff Back asked Fender to make a custom Stratocaster painted the same color as the hot rod in the movie American Graffiti. Fender named the color Graffiti Yellow."